{'en': 'Lack of control in people with type 2 diabetes in the first years after diagnosis (study)', 'es': 'Falta de control en personas con diabetes tipo 2 en los primeros años tras el diagnóstico (estudio)'} Image

Lack of control in people with type 2 diabetes in the first years after diagnosis (study)

fer's profile photo   10/27/2023 11:01 a.m.

Between 46 and 63 percent of people with type 2 diabetes do not present a strict glycemic control -HBA1C (blood sugar control measurement) less than 6.5% - during the first 5 years after the diagnosis of theDisease, according to the study 'Priority-T2D'de Lilly, presented during the 64th Congress of the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition.

In addition, a high percentage of people with type 2 diabetes does not reach weight loss objectives.Specifically, more than 60 percent does not achieve a weight reduction and more than 80 percent does not reach losses.

Likewise, the study aims to determine the proportion of people under 65 with type 2 diabetes that have HBA1C levels within three glycemic control objectives (less than 7%, less than 6.5% and less than 5.7%) during the first 5 years after diagnosis in regular clinical practice conditions in Spain.

In this work a total of 8,973 Spaniards with type 2 diabetes, mostly male (59% men and 41% women), with an average age of 52.9 years and an average HBA1C of 7.7 percent at the time at the timeof the diagnosis.According to the body mass index (BMI), only 7.9 percent of the study population showed Normopeso, 27.5 percent had overweight and 64.4 percent had obesity at the time of diagnosis.

In this sense, several scientific studies support the importance of the early detection of diabetes and strict glucose control from the beginning of the disease to reduce the risk of long -term complications.

"The control of type 2 diabetes within the first 5 years of the disease is decisive in the natural history of diabetes, not only to reduce the probability of long -term complications, but to try to slow the deterioration of the secretion ofInsulin that characterizes this disease, "explained Emilio Ortega, principal author of the study and member of the Endocrinology and Nutrition Service of the Clinic Hospital of Barcelona.

Difficulties in glycemic control and weight

In patients with a recent diagnosis of type 2 diabetes (less than 6 years since diagnosis), the substantial weight reduction has shown to have a modifier effect of the disease, according to several investigations.

The results of 'Priority-T2D' show that people with weight loss equal to or greater than 10 percent reached in the first year after diagnosis are more likely to be within strict glycemic control objectives.Likewise, a higher percentage of people with HBA1C levels less than 6.5% have been observed among those who achieved greater magnitude weight losses.

In this sense, Miriam Rubio, director of the Medical Area of ​​Lilly Diabetes in Spain, has pointed out that "this study shows the potential benefit of the early loss of body weight on glycemic control. As is known and has been previously demonstrated in different investigations, people with type 2 diabetes face many difficulties in achieving and maintaining these weight loss objectives. "

For its part, Ortega has commented on some of the barriers that patients have to achieve control objectives."Some have to do with adherence to the therapeutic plan, the ignorance of their disease that hinders self -care, complex living conditions that prevent proper monitoring, possible side effects of prescribed medications or the fear of having them, and the difficultyTo change unfavorable life habits in this disease.Indolora and asymptomatic especially in the first years. "

As for professionals, Ortega added that "they can find difficulties related to the need for continuous update of knowledge around the disease: from the importance and degree of control necessary for each person, through the multiple pharmacological options thatThere are and how and in which patients use them, the time to act or decision making in the consultation, among others. "

To favor better control in people with type 2 diabetes, Ortega has assured that "it is essentialGlycemic with clear actions.lifestyle".

fer's profile photo
fer
10/27/2023 11:01 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

My acquaintances with type 2 diabetes are limited to taking the medication that prescribes and little else.It is as if they were for life with a bandage.
For more inri, in my community the distribution of glucometers is being restricted among the new diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, for the cost of reactive strips, and the criteria to offer sensors to the type 2 that use insulin are very restrictive.
We are going ...

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
10/27/2023 3:18 p.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

It is the usual.Greater complications in type 2 diabetics than in type 1, despite being much less aggressive diabetes, but of course, there are many and would cost a lot of money, it is the "good diabetes", and total, with an annual pill and control is enough.Neither glucometer, nor strips ...
And when the fat complications come, the social according to everything that has saved in strips, but the patient already has life Jod ** a.
A pity.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
10/27/2023 3:28 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

@isabelbota YES and no, to the elders yes, pill and up to 6 months.But many young people are given training and pass.If it is true that they do not offer them glucometers, but I know two that if they give them glucometer and do not want, they say they go every 6 months and those that the doctor tells them.

In the end if everyone is like that, they will end as with SINTOM, every weeks to control and readjustment of pill.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/27/2023 6:39 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

If there is no insulin -dependence, here at least, in Andalusia, do not prescribe strips.

isabelbota
10/27/2023 7:17 p.m.

Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

ruthbia said:
@Isabelbota yes and no, to the elderly yes, pill and up to 6 months.But many young people are given training and pass.If it is true that they do not offer them glucometers, but I know two that if they give them glucometer and do not want, they say they go every 6 months and those that the doctor tells them.

In the end if all are like that, they will end as with the SINTOM, every weeks to control and readjustment of pill.

Well, they have already told me that until they put me insulin both basal and quickly than nothing glucometer.And that sensor we will see, that if I have DM2 it is because as and I have eaten many sweets and for the overweight (acquired by the medications that I have had to take for other things and those kilos of more must be very much to taste with me because I do not knowThey want to go) Well, I don't deserve it.Said by an endocrine

cgs's profile photo
cgs
10/27/2023 10:09 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

Isabelbota said:
If there is no insulin -dependence, here at least, in Andalusia, do not prescribe strips.

In Cyl either.And if there is insulin, sometimes either and when they give them, they give them counted (literally, calculate how many strips you need to do the controls that you guide you endocrinology and tell them, for example, a case that I know needed 70 strips for that month, thenThey gave him a whole boat and from another boat put him in that 20 strips that were missing for 70)

cgs's profile photo
cgs
10/27/2023 10:10 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

cgs said:
Isabelbota said:

In Cyl either.And if there is insulin, sometimes either and when they give them, they give them counted (literally, calculate how many strips you need to do the controls that you guide you endocrinology and tell them, for example, a case that I know needed 70 strips for that month, thenThey gave him an entire boat and another boat put him in that 20 strips that were missing for 70)

Totally, there is an important racaneo with the strips.
To me slowly and quickly gave me 3/day, so there is not even to start.Because I bought the sensor, that if not ...
And now that they have granted the sensor, they said that the strips would take us away, so I will have to buy them, because those who use it know that many times we have to contrast.
We know that diabetics, endocrine not, for what is seen.Nor to pay them.
They give me 8 sensors (112 days) a package of 50 strips, nor a half a day ...
And for example the other day a sensor that was going well went crazy.It marked me before eating 150. Total that when I was about to get quick to eat, it gives me a strip and was 60 ...
Well, the one that would have brought out if not contrast ...

isabelbota
10/27/2023 11:29 p.m.

cgs said:
ruthbia said:
@Isabelbota yes and no, to the elderly if, pill and up to 6 months.But many young people are given training and pass.If it is true that they do not offer them glucometers, but I know two that if they give them glucometer and do not want, they say they go every 6 months and those that the doctor tells them.

In the end if all are like that, they will end as with the SINTOM, every weeks to control and readjustment of pill.

Well, they have already told me that until they put me insulin both basal and quickly than nothing glucometer.And that sensor we will see, that if I have DM2 it is because as and I have eaten many sweets and for the overweight (acquired by the medications that I have had to take for other things and those kilos of more must be very much to taste with me because I do not knowThey want to go) Well, I don't deserve it.Said by an endocrine

Little shame the endocrine ...

isabelbota
10/27/2023 11:30 p.m.

This news always makes me very bad milk !!

And more when in my meats I have spent things with my type 2 diabetes, with the shame of the diabetic medicine in my city.I have touched endocrine to which more donkey, they have no idea, I don't know what noses they learn in the faculty .... For above I have my annual appointment on November 13/23 and I will go very warm ...

Many times we are to blame for our neglect, but more guilt have doctors who pass Olympically when the freshly diagnosed patient, the second year does not appear again by the endocrine consultation (because said doctor does not inform anything and does not put anything fear,noses ...) and these doctors do not care to know what has happened to their patient and do not dignity or make a puncher called to know one (not even the head doctor worth asking), they prefer to wait for years toThat for a chance we suddenly enter the urgencies and yet they do not want to know anything about one, because when I entered for emergencies to give me the endocrine I had to remove land and air for 2 months, so that the head of endocrinology then touched meThat for more shame he has no idea of ​​his specialty, well good good .....

And another thing I want to record.My first endocrine saw me with 12 years of age and that I already had a prominent abdomen and you can believe that at any time or my parents, we were told that I could develop a diabetes in the future and he or they whoThey knew about my diabetic family history, they never deigned to get fear to change my life habits.
From the age of 12 to 38, the endocrine always saw me and it was not for obesity was for something else ... for 26 years they did not have a single day to warn me once, nor did they even tell meNothing when doing analysis was high sugar, I say that a year before I had neuropathy in a pye, I say that they could have fallen that a possible diabetes was coming, but not better to wait for the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, when they alreadyThere is no going back ...

Pyrri's profile photo
Pyrri
10/28/2023 1:32 a.m.

Diabetes Tipo 2 (2014) con 38 años - Neuropatía Diabética (2013) - Polineuropatía Diabética sensitiva axonal moderado-grave en miembros inferiores (2021) - Jubilado en 2022 con 45 años. (Synjardy (Mettformina) - Trulicity - Ozempic - Gabapentina). HBA1c: 4,5%. Discapacidad del 35% - Presbicia con 45 años (ya no veo de cerca, pero no hay retinopatía diabética en los ojos). Abuela materna y Abuela paterna e tíos diabéticos tipo 1

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.