Teenage diabetic and institute reaction

madreDMT1's profile photo   12/03/2023 9:58 p.m.

Hello, I'm new.My son has type 1 diabetes for two weeks.We have been at home for a week by adapting to everything.Luckily he has taken it very well, not because it is funny, that none, but because from the first moment he is clicking and is very aware.I even feel that he doesn't complain more.

I wanted to congratulate you for how useful this forum and how kind the messages you send.I have learned a lot reading several threads.

Besides, I would like to know how the institutes or schools of your diabetic children have been carried with the debut.Our experience (Centro de Madrid) is being regular.We have proven that part of the teaching staff does not know very well what it consists of, they have already caught the attention for looking at the mobile (wears Freestyle Sensor 3) and they have notified him that he will surely not go to excursions.And, as a icing on, they have suspended four for missing the exams (he was in the hospital) although saying that he does not worry, that they let him recover them.I do not care as suspended, but he has bothered him a lot.
I would like to get him out, but my son has many very good friends who are also supporting him a lot - they are an impressive kids, I take off my hat - and that seems very important to me.

Well, forgive the length.Have you had experiences like that, better, worse?

Thank you very much in advance

madreDMT1's profile photo
madreDMT1
12/03/2023 9:58 p.m.

Madre de adolescente DM1 (nacido en 2008), con DM1 desde 17/11/2023
Abasaglar 19
80-150 Raciones HC/día, dependiendo mucho de los planes y del deporte.
Sensor FreeStyle Libre 3
Madrid

Hello, I have no children but I want to welcome you and tell you that it is unfair, even discriminatory, that they do not let you go to excursions.Since other people who are mothers speak but it does not seem normal to me.
Regarding that they call attention to look at the mobile, it is a matter of talking with teachers and understanding that you have to control.Unfortunately there is a lot of ignorance of this disease.And also a lot of child obsessed with the mobile.They see that in this case it is for health.
The suspending, as you say, is the least, you will recover, the important thing is that you have assumed it so well and that you have support from your friends and your family.You are in the process of adaptation now, you'll see how everything soon is going very well and under control.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
12/03/2023 10:32 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Hello, I have a 5 -year -old one who debuted last month.In my case, all good (Palma de Mallorca).The teachers received classes for the theme of hiccups.
If you have to go on an excursion, it is notified to the destination health center and someone is going to prick it.

The bad thing is that at that age control it, it is impossible ... with what they move, the calculation is difficult.But little by little

ballbrk's profile photo
ballbrk
12/03/2023 10:34 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thank you very much for the comments.And I wish you very good luck.I don't have much handling in forums, I hope the message comes.

madreDMT1's profile photo
madreDMT1
12/03/2023 11:24 p.m.

Madre de adolescente DM1 (nacido en 2008), con DM1 desde 17/11/2023
Abasaglar 19
80-150 Raciones HC/día, dependiendo mucho de los planes y del deporte.
Sensor FreeStyle Libre 3
Madrid

@MADREDMT1 In Madrid the Diabetics Association organizes many events for children and adolescents, in addition to workshops.
I have no children but my niece went to class with a child who debuted with 12 or 13 years and told me that he hid to measure himself and that as the companions pointed to the sensor.
It is a luck that supports him and with that support, with more reason to go to excursions.A hyper is not worrying, and if he has a hiccup, his friends are there to give him an envelope of sugar, jelly beans or glucose.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/03/2023 11:27 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Madredmt1 said:
Hello, I'm new.My son has type 1 diabetes for two weeks.We have been at home for a week by adapting to everything.Luckily he has taken it very well, not because it is funny, that none, but because from the first moment he is clicking and is very aware.I even feel that he doesn't complain more.

I wanted to congratulate you for how useful this forum and how kind the messages you send.I have learned a lot reading several threads.

Besides, I would like to know how the institutes or schools of your diabetic children have been carried with the debut.Our experience (Centro de Madrid) is being regular.We have proven that part of the teaching staff does not know very well what it consists of, they have already caught the attention for looking at the mobile (wears Freestyle Sensor 3) and they have notified him that he will surely not go to excursions.And, as a icing on, they have suspended four for missing the exams (he was in the hospital) although saying that he does not worry, that they let him recover them.I do not care as suspended, but he has bothered him a lot.
I would like to get him out, but my son has many very good friends who are also supporting him a lot - they are an impressive kids, I take off my hat - and that seems very important to me.

Well, forgive the length.Have you had experiences like that, better, worse?

Thank you very much in advance

The first thing, a lot of encouragement.
The second, I understand both your position and that of the teachers.I am formed, not only for having diabetes but also because I have collaborated a lot of time in civil protection groups.But teachers do not form us at all, everything is on our own.I do not mean that this is an excuse, but I understand it, I understand the two parties.I do not know how in the center to which the internal regime regulations are going, it probably puts something about the use of mobiles, although nothing is usually mentioned about these cases.My advice is that you get in touch with the Diabetic Association, to see if they can give a talk to the teachers (to all, not only to those who teach) about what the disease consists of, how it is, how they shouldreact to certain circumstances (hippers and hypos mainly) ... I suppose for what you say they have already done the first evaluation and hence the suspensions and later recover, I understand that it annoys you, especially if it usually goes well.And I would arrange as soon as possible a meeting with their tutor and if possible with someone from the directive and the orientation department to tell them about the mobile and that he needs to use it for health reasons, that there will be times that he will have to eat something even if it is inclass or take a juice (it is usually prohibited) and that other times will need to go to service and drink more water, or get insulin ... Many times it is not that teachers do not want to get involved, it is fear of the possible repercussions because theTime of truth nobody supports us if something goes wrong, I know from experience.As for the excursions, which I know they cannot leave him without going to have diabetes, in fact in my center there are students with diabetes and go to excursions.Perhaps an endocrine report saying that it is controlled and knows how to handle the situation.Many times it is fear because we are responsible and when there are problems then nobody covers us or tends our hand (colleagues and administration).For the rest, if your group of friends is full with him and they are helping him I would not change his center and much less without trying other things like the ones I tell you.
I said, a lot of encouragement and if you need something because here I am.

cgs's profile photo
cgs
12/04/2023 12:29 a.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

@Madredmt1, Hello, welcome to the forum.
I also speak to you as a mother and as an institute teacher where I also had diabetic students.
The first thing to reassure your child with the notes, which are not suspected not presented and for that there are the recoveries.
Then reassure you, because he who has good ompañeros is the most important.
Now the most urgent thing is that you talk to the tutor and explain the need for the mobile for the sensor and how fast the blood glucose can vary, which is what it costs most to understand.
The exits to the bathroom, when you need it, and take sugar or juices too.
The excursions cannot be prohibited, but he will have to manage insulin.
Get nasal glucagon, who can carry it in the backpack and teach teachers and classmates how it is used, although surely it will not need it because the hypos are quickly noticed.My daughter in 30 years never needed it.
Little by little you will control it, but perfect control is impossible, it is about approaching what you can.It is a continuous learning.
Much encouragement and patience, that everything will go well and we have better treatments.
A hug, and here we are for what we can help.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/04/2023 3:14 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hello and welcome,
I am a Teacher and Mother of Type 1 diabetic adolescent in Madrid.
I understand your frustration but, as has been said in other messages, ignorance is our worst enemy.My daughter has been in the same institute for 4 years, and every September I embark on the mission of sending emails to each of her teachers, asking for a personalized tutoring with a tutor and physical education teacher, and remembering the head of the existence of my daughter and her illness.As soon as they are informed, the teachers collaborate very well, and let him get the phone or leave the class whenever he asks for it.EF professor saves juices and cookies for her (all who has had it have done).
So, you may feel now that it is unfair, but it is a matter of getting used to and that people know the sickness.The Madrid Diabetics Association will give a free talk to your child's class, or more groups (if any space) as soon as you ask.
The important thing is that your child feels comfortable and well accompanied by his classmates.
Excursions are not usually a problem, whenever they are not marches in the mountains!In these cases, the same association offers punctual accompaniment (sometimes).For example, on a one -week trip, etc.
Many spirits with everything, the beginning is always very hard.

ClaraSweet's profile photo
ClaraSweet
12/12/2023 6:43 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.