{'en': 'Panic in the gym', 'es': 'Panico en el gimnasio'} Image

Panic in the gym

Andres_Javier's profile photo   09/27/2023 11:06 p.m.

Good to the whole world of this virtual corner.

I only write to vent.I was diagnosed with diabetes 2, but over time I have to support with an exogenous insulin.

I take velmetia for breakfast and dinner and at night I inject 13 units plus toujeo 300 (it depends on seasons).

The fact is that the other day in the gym, making pectorals notice as I lacked a little breathing and without further hesitation in the same machine I took out the strips meter and came out 42 ... automatically opened a couple of sugar envelopeswhich I carry in the same case.

I don't understand anything ... normal after leaving the gym, I usually have an 110 measureClass I have settled a sugar envelope '' just in case '' the surprised monitor is being left.

I have told him that he was diabetic and that he took it to me.

I have started very recently in the world of gyms.

I would like to know and soak your experiences in the world of sport with this pathology and what advice could you give me (drink, food, before or after exercise ... etc.)

Thank you very much for your attention to my relief letter and have happy HBA1C.

Greetings!

Andres_Javier's profile photo
Andres_Javier
09/27/2023 11:06 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I understand that you don't use continuous sensors ...
So I would recommend that you did a hair glycemia before starting ... if you have "little", take a small supplement, especially if it is a very intense exercise, crossfit type, hiit ... and when you end up getting to look at theSugar to see how you have compensated it and you are getting an idea.
When the exercises are high impact to me, impressive downs hits me, but I'm watching the sensor ...
On the other hand, when I do Cardio, but with less intensity or strength, it lowers me, but very little by little ...

SilviaGRZ's profile photo
SilviaGRZ
09/27/2023 11:21 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Díabética desde los 4 años. Ahora tengo 37.
Hbg 6'9..

Hi @andres_javier!

I am sorry to listen to what happened to you in the gym.

Here are some quick tips:

- Monitor your glucose levels before and after exercise.
- Always carry with you some quick sugar to treat possible hypoglycemia.
- Check with your doctor about your exercise routine and adjustments in your medication.
- Stay hydrated and consider a snack with carbohydrates if your levels are low before training.
- Listen to your body;If something does not feel good, hold and check your levels.

Among all these tips, in your case, I would focus on the first, as @Silviagrz has said, if you do not use continuous monitor (eg free freestyle), I recommend that you get one and try it.

The continuous sensor will give you a lotThe hypos.

In general, it is a good idea to use the always continuous monitor, but if it is not possible, at least during periods in which you start a different activity than the routine, since it will help you adjust well.

I encourage you to continue actively participating in this forum.The experience and advice of other members can be of great help.We are here to support you!

Greetings and encourage!

fer's profile photo
fer
09/28/2023 8 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello.
I would recommend that if you can buy the freestyle.It's € 65 every two weeks but the tranquility they give you is priceless.With the sensor you will see when you go down, go up and you can do any type of activity under control.
This year, social security has begun them (I am type 2 but slow and fast use), but the previous two years since my diagnosis I bought them and it is the best investment I have made.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
09/28/2023 8:45 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

If you are DT2 and with insulin guidelines, the SS has to give you sensors.Talk to your doctor and derive you to endocrinology to assign them.
Without sensors you just have hair before and eat something that allows you to stay during the exercise if you look low.
Keep in mind that strength exercises rise glycemia, aerobics lower it

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/28/2023 10:46 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I do not know where you are from but find out in many Spanish regions, finance the sensor to type 2 diabetics that have insulin (fast, slow or both, it doesn't matter), in Andalusia it is like that eg and more in relatively young people and who needsNumerous controls with strips and that have hypoglycemia frequently.Ask in your health C.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
09/28/2023 11:10 a.m.

fer said:
¡hi @andres_javier!

I am sorry to listen to what happened to you in the gym.

Here are some quick tips:

- Monitor your glucose levels before and after exercise.
- Always carry with you some quick sugar to treat possible hypoglycemia.
- Check with your doctor about your exercise routine and adjustments in your medication.
- Stay hydrated and consider a snack with carbohydrates if your levels are low before training.
- Listen to your body;If something does not feel good, hold and check your levels.

Among all these tips, in your case, I would focus on the first, as @Silviagrz has said, if you do not use continuous monitor (eg free freestyle), I recommend that you get one and try it.

The continuous sensor will give you a lotThe hypos.

In general, it is a good idea to use the always continuous monitor, but if it is not possible, at least during periods in which you start a different activity than the routine, since it will help you adjust well.

I encourage you to continue actively participating in this forum.The experience and advice of other members can be of great help.We are here to support you!

Greetings and Courage!

Thanks for your text, it has helped me a lot, I hope to have a continuous meter soon and gain quality of life !!

Andres_Javier
09/28/2023 4:26 p.m.

meginer said:
I don't know where you are but find out in many Spanish regions, finance the sensor to diabetics type 2 q they have insulin (fast, slow or both, it doesn't matter), inAndalusia is like that and more in relatively young people and who need numerous controls with strips and have hypoglycemia frequently.Ask in your health C.

Valencia Community and they already made it clear that the DT2 although they are injected insulin and also with my hem at 6.1 ... that they did not financed me ... said by the endocrine

Andres_Javier
09/28/2023 4:27 p.m.

Andres_javier said:
meginer said:
I don't know where you are but find out in many Spanish regions, finance the sensor to type 2 diabetics.(Fast, slow or both, it doesn't matter), in Andalusia it is so on and more in relatively young people and who need numerous controls with strips and who have hypoglycemia frequently.Ask in your health C.

Valencia Community and they already made it clear that to the DT2 although they are injected insulin and also with my hem at 6.1 ... that did not financed me ... said by the endocrine

Wow, because in Andalusia yes ... I don't understand why there are differences according to the autonomous C, the truth.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
09/28/2023 11:22 p.m.

The sensor will help you a lot to understand what happens to your sugar with sport.If it has been once that you will prick you more insulin than it touches well for not eating what it touched or for a bad ration count.I have to tell you that sport and diabetes is a more complex issue than it seems.Aerobic exercise causes sugar to lower you, at least to me, and anaerobic exercise raises glymia while practical, but at 2 hours the blood glucose has lowered me.It also depends on when you have punctured insulin, if you coincide the maximum effect of insulin with the exercise, the blood glucose will lower you more than if you do not coincide.
My advice
- Check the glycemia before, during and after.
- Try to adapt the HC intake to the exercise you are going to do.
- Stay hydrated
- Always carry with you gels, sugar, or even if you feel safer you can be pocados to a banana or some bar while exercising.
Do not become obsessed but if observed to try to identify if there is a pattern of behavior or exercises that cause you those descents.
And of course tell your endocrine to see what he tells you.

Salvasan's profile photo
Salvasan
10/06/2023 11 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.