{'en': 'Travel with a type 1 diabetic child', 'es': 'Viajar con un niño diabético tipo 1'} Image

Travel with a type 1 diabetic child

cris79's profile photo   09/28/2023 4:24 p.m.

Hello everyone,

My 9 -year -old boy debuted in March 2023, his dream is to go to Lapia at Christmas, but now I'm afraid to take him.

Has anyone gone?

What do you advise me?

Thanks a lot!

cris79's profile photo
cris79
09/28/2023 4:24 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You will have to prepare the usual "backpack" with insulins, strips, glucometer, replacement sensor, glucose pills, glucagon, some food, etc.Surely you already do all this when you go with your child somewhere.The only different thing is that you will need a thermal bag so that insulins are not spoiled with the cold that is done there.
Tell your endocrin@ to see what you think and so you are quieter

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
09/28/2023 5:43 p.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

Thank you very much Ricki21, in reality what despairs is the issue of food, because the rest as your good is the usual backpack, but as it would be a programmed circuit because the issue of food I have nothing clear and howIt is a child because worse

cris79's profile photo
cris79
09/28/2023 10:12 p.m.

@Cris79, it is a bit soon to calculate the rations, but if you are weighing and observing, you can do it.
Surely you will walk a lot and if something is left, it will be burning it.
It is better to get a bit short of insulin on those scheduled trips, ..
It carries glucose pills and juices.The slow one can also get off a little.
I would go calm and enjoy it.
You will learn a lot too.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/29/2023 12:41 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

There are scales that are not very large, you can take a with you to weigh the food.

McNulty's profile photo
McNulty
10/01/2023 2:11 a.m.

Padre de un peque con Diabetes tipo 1
- Humalog Junior y Abasaglar
- Freestyle Libre 2 ( Glucose direct )

Thank you very much for the answers.I have a tiny scale, but my fear is, that being a scheduled trip, the bus routes are long and the schedules to stop eating are lengthened and my child has drops, although I have the glucose pills and so on ... ultimately a thousand thousandDoubts ... but thank you all.

cris79's profile photo
cris79
10/03/2023 2:27 p.m.

I understand your fear ... but think that if it becomes older, that trip will not have so much magic, because now the theme of Santa Claus 🤭
I already tell you, that I understand you ... because it is already a "special" trip for a little one, more being diabetic, but it is for children and such, I suppose the schedules will be more adapted to them ... and the schedule inThe northern countries, in terms of meals are not as "left" as ours ...
The sensor will make things easier for you.
We carry juices, cookies, if you can a small sandwich ... in case the thing is extended and you are giving it ...
Walking I think you will walk and the hyper will not be a problem.
Encourage you, you will surely learn a lot and to see you happy it will be worth it.
It will help you to give one more step in this disease that has many things, but that should not make us lose freedom and normality.
Surely you pass it phenomenal with your little one!And it is a memory for your whole life.

SilviaGRZ's profile photo
SilviaGRZ
10/03/2023 4:27 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Díabética desde los 4 años. Ahora tengo 37.
Hbg 6'9..

@Cris79, do not be afraid of hypos, are quickly solved with a juice or cocacola or glucose.My daughter had many little ones, with those insulins ..., being 40 many times, and even made it happy because she ate rice pudding .. hahaha, that insulin was very swallowing ... but always threatened with hypos ..
The slow insulins now are much safer and go back right away.
How slow your child uses?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/03/2023 11:32 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Use the toujeo

cris79's profile photo
cris79
10/05/2023 10:51 p.m.

Well, with that insulin you can go calm.If you are not sure with the fast, it is better to fall short and then correct if it is very high.
You have to see what lowers a fast unit.
But also think about you if you are going to overwhelm.Maybe it also makes something more excited until you are safer.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/06/2023 3:34 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.