{'en': 'The Covid pandemia caused type 1 diabetes to be triggered in children and adolescents', 'es': 'La Pandemia del COVID hizo que se disparara la diabetes tipo 1 en niños y adolescentes'} Image

The Covid pandemia caused type 1 diabetes to be triggered in children and adolescents

fer's profile photo   06/27/2023 2:51 p.m.

The incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM1) in children and adolescents shot 57 and 60 percent in 2021, according to a study by the Health and Evaluation Agency of Catalonia (Aquas) with the participation of the Hospital del Mar (Barcelona).

Type 1 diabetes is a chronic disease that is characterized by the lack of insulin production by the pancreas, which causes an increase in blood glucose levels.

In some countries an increase in the incidence of type 1 diabetes had already been notified during the Covid-19 pandemic.Therefore, these researchers wanted to verify if this situation had also reproduced in Catalonia.Although the data focuses on this autonomous community, they could be relatively extrapolable for the rest of Spain.

Worldwide, a recently published analysis that included 24 studies and 5,671 new cases of type 1 diabetes in pediatric age, described a significant increase in the incidence of new cases during the Covid-19 Pandemia, of up to 19.73 cases for each100,000 children during 2019 and 32.39 per 100,000 children during 2020.

According to its findings, in 2020 the incidence did not increase significantly compared to the previous year, but by 2021 it increased by 28 percent, with 170 new cases observed more than expected.The greatest increases, in both years, occurred between people under 18 and women.

Thus, in 2020, the incidence of DM1 in children and adolescents was 32 percent higher than expected in normal years.The following year, he even shot at 57 and 60 percent, respectively.

On the other hand, in adults there was also a rise in cases, although with much more moderation.By sex, women experienced an increase in the incidence significantly higher than that of men in 2021 (60% compared to 12%).

Based on all these data, the researchers point out that during the Covid-19 pandemic there was a "notable and statistically significant increase" of the incidence of cases of type 1 diabetes mellitus in Catalonia, although they specify that "it is not possible to establish acausal relationship between pandemic and diabetes. "

Therefore, they conclude that "more studies are required to investigate the possible biological or social mechanisms that could explain this phenomenon and its clinical and health implications."

As possible limitations of the study, the study states that there is possible that there is a "infraregistro" or a delay in coding the new diagnoses during 2020 and 2022. "This may be motivated by the saturation of the health system that has existed in certainMoments of Pandemia, "they have riveted.

fer's profile photo
fer
06/27/2023 2:51 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I attest.I consider my

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
06/27/2023 5:14 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

My son.With 16 years in February 2021

Lucia70's profile photo
Lucia70
06/27/2023 8:30 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Like any virus, in predisposition, the autoimmune response is triggered in type 1.As there were many cases because more probability.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
06/28/2023 1:10 a.m.

I am a clear example of this, with 45 years, I got out of confined with Covid in a room, with diabetes at Cuesta ....

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
06/28/2023 12:58 p.m.

I am also a case.It does not stop going around whether it was the covid or the vaccine. I just put a dose because I had many side effects.If I could take the time behind….

Estherilla's profile photo
Estherilla
07/07/2023 7:28 a.m.

@Estherilla, it is some viruses that trigger diabetes.In non -vaccinated children is where cases have increased the most.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/07/2023 8:03 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I know @regina.He read a lot on the subject. But there are also studies that demonstrate an increase in cases of type 1 diabetes in adults after covid/after vaccine. As well as alterations in the menstrual cycle and circulatory problems.will see my case.

Estherilla's profile photo
Estherilla
07/07/2023 4:30 p.m.

It has already been proven that the infectious Covid virus is replicated in pancreatic islets, which causes diabetes.
The same thing that happens with other viruses, such as Coxsackie, which was the one that attacked my daughter.I always waited for vaccines against those viruses capable of provoking diabetes in genetically predisposed people.
Many diabetes would be avoided in children.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/08/2023 2:59 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I think I also owe this gift to Covid.I agree with the symptoms with the first of the two infections that touched me.A lot of thirst, a lot of urine, blurred view ... how typical I know is diabetes, then I thought I did older:/
I have some overweight, I will have 5 kg left over or so, 49 tacos, I have a good food, I do not drink alcohol or smoke and when the symptoms started I had a job of enough physical exercise.

I have no families known to diabetes, so it does not fit me much with the diagnosis of type 2, which can be but ... my doctor in the last visit has already dropped the possibility that it is autoimmune ... I mean.
Time will say it.
At the moment after a few weeks with insulin only I take metformin and in three months I have lowered the glucosilada from 13% to 7%
Without great efforts, it has been going down to 125 too easy.
As practically the same but less carbohydrates and without sweets or fruits like the pineapple that I love.

Do you think it can be a honeymoon?

Gozoki's profile photo
Gozoki
07/09/2023 12:46 a.m.

DM 2 diagnosticado en marzo de 2023.
HG debut 13.2 Última HG: 2024 6.3
AntiGAD : Haberlos,Haylos... pero pocos. NEGATIVO pues.
Metformina 1-0-1
Toujeo: Guardada en la nevera... y que siga.

For an accurate diagnosis they would have to do antibody analysis.Have you seen you an endocrine?

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
07/09/2023 8:35 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

salad said:
for an accurate diagnosis would have to do antibody analysis.Have you seen an endocrine?

No, just my primary care doctor.
That is why I say time will say it.
If I am not going to worse, there is no planned event with endocrine.

Gozoki's profile photo
Gozoki
07/09/2023 12:24 p.m.

Metformina 1-0-1

I attach a list of tests that should be performed to determine whether they are Diabetes type 1 autoimmune, insulin-dependent.

NEKgatoDULCE's profile photo
NEKgatoDULCE
07/09/2023 1:48 p.m.

nekgatodulce said:
attached a list of tests that should be performed to determine whether it is type 1 autoimmune diabetes, insulin-dependent.

Well, only the Gad have asked me ... anyway

cgs's profile photo
cgs
07/09/2023 9:54 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

cgs said:
nekgatodulce said:
attached a list of tests that should be performed to determine if it is diabetes type 1 autoimmune, insulin-dependent.

Well, I have only asked me to gad ... anyway

It seems predominant in Lada.Gave you positive?

Gozoki's profile photo
Gozoki
07/10/2023 9:08 p.m.

Metformina 1-0-1

salad said:
I attest.I consider myself a courty

I YB

smartinez's profile photo
smartinez
07/11/2023 12:12 a.m.

Diabetes LADA desde febrero 2021
Última glico 6,1 el 23/11/23
Toujeo 10 ud

cgs said:
nekgatodulce said:
attached a list of tests that should be performed to determine if it is diabetes type 1 autoimmune, insulin-dependent.

To me tb, and they left negative.But the rest I don't know.They treat me as a type 1 but as if I were on a honeymoon, it is very slow

smartinez's profile photo
smartinez
07/11/2023 12:17 a.m.

Diabetes LADA desde febrero 2021
Última glico 6,1 el 23/11/23
Toujeo 10 ud

joyki said:
cgs said:
nekgatodulce said:
nekgatodulce said:
attached a list of tests that should be done to determineThese are type 1 autoimmune diabetes, insulin-dependent.

It seems predominant in Lada.Gave you positive?

Negative ... for the moment, according to endocrine

cgs's profile photo
cgs
07/11/2023 10:37 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.