{'en': 'Presentation my 12 -year -old son with type 1 diabetes', 'es': 'Presentación mi hijo de 12 años con diabetes tipo 1'} Image

Presentation my 12 -year -old son with type 1 diabetes

jleo's profile photo   10/16/2023 9:50 p.m.

Hello everyone,

I have a 12 -year -old with 0.32 peptide C but who has been just over a controlled sugar and HC diet and controlled glycemia, without insulin administration ... without insulin administration ...

Of course, no one can say how long the reserve will take to run ... the antibodies still get negative but being celiac the endocrine is almost for granted that it is type 1 diabetes, there were a few days with high blood glucose but with a diet now wears more thanOne month with Normaglycemia.

Has anyone been in a similar case?

How much can you stretch such a period only controlled with diet?

Thank you all!

jleo's profile photo
jleo
10/16/2023 9:50 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi @jleo,

I am very sorry that your child is going through this situation.The C peptide is a protein that is released together with insulin and that serves to measure endogenous insulin secretion1.A low peptide C level indicates that the pancreas is not producing enough insulin and that exogenous insulin treatment is needed2.

It is possible that your child is in what is called "honeymoon phase" or "partial remission", which is a period in which the pancreas still produces some insulin and can control glymia with diet and exercise.However, this period is usually temporary and can last from weeks to years, depending on each case3.Therefore, it is important that you follow the indications of your endocrine and make periodic glycemia and peptide controls to your child to know when you need to start injecting insulin (if you are not doing it already).

I congratulate you for having managed to control your child's glycemia with a diet for more than a month.That shows that you are doing a good job and that you care about your health.

However, you must be prepared for the moment you need insulin, since it is inevitable in type 1 diabetes. Do not discourage you or feel guilty, it is something that escapes your control.The important thing is that you continue to educate yourself about diabetes and that you support your child at all times.

Remember that it is not alone and that there are many people who live with this disease and lead a reasonably normal and happy life.

I hope I have helped you with my answer.If you have any questions or want to share your experience, do not hesitate to write.I send you a hug and a lot of encouragement.

fer's profile photo
fer
10/17/2023 9:32 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thank you very much @fer, the truth is that you comfort people like you.Look my son at the moment still without insulin, we will see the duration.If he understood that the honeymoon period occurs in the initial period after beginning to insulinproduced without an introduction of exogenous insulin.The typical antibodies of autoimmune disease have also come out negative, but in short I suppose there will be a thousand, so I thought to see if someone had happened to someone: not antibodies, not insulinization, and control by x time with only diet.... In any case, thank you very much, it is a pleasure to have a place to go!
a hug

jleo's profile photo
jleo
10/18/2023 9:32 a.m.

Hi @jleo I debuted as your son but adult, 41 years.
I was only with basal insulin and a normal diet, 12 portions of hydrates per day, walking 1 hour a day and little else.
Then I used insulin in meals, only 1 unit, then 2, and little by little what body needs according to the life one does.
Since I am a diabetic I do more activities than before, I still travel a lot, I leave a lot of tapas, meals, dinners, meetings, and so on.
Life does not stop and adapt to diabetes.

Your child is going to develop like any child.He will have his rebel stage in adolescence but will be happy and capable of leading a life like the other friends of his surroundings.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/22/2023 12:42 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Thank you @ruthbia for your support and explanation.It is still being kept with low diet in hydrates and sugars with no insulin.Next month we are going to do the glycosilada to see how it has gone.
When we detected it, it was at 7.3% glycosylated after 3 weeks controlling the diet had dropped to 6.9% and now we will see, we have been controlling with capillary and I think we will even go down from 6.9% ... ThenAs you say when the time comes because it will arrive and move on.Everything indicates that it is a matter of time, it is with 0.32 of peptide C that is that very at the limit, we will see ... in the end it is as you say you have to adapt and follow!
Thanks for your support !!

jleo's profile photo
jleo
10/23/2023 9:34 p.m.

I debuted with 13.6 of Glico and in 3 months I went to 6.4.My peptide was 0.31 but it goes down.
Today, 8 and a half years later I have 0.15 peptide, it is seen that something gender but I need insulin for everything, even if they are not hydrates.

My first year was also with capillaries, but I bought the sensor and much better to get to know each other and see how food, sport, leisure affects them ... now they finance it so the brief would assign it.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/24/2023 8:20 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Hi @ruthbia Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I am great.My son has a peptide C as I told you very similar to yours when you debuted, he is 0.32.He had 7.3 of glycosilada but when he put the diet as he lowers at 6.9 and with the sensor for 10 days he saw the endocrine that was quite stable decided not to give him any insulin, he has not yet received any doses.
I would like to ask a question in case you can answer it:
1. They found some antibody in your debut?
2. After your debut, you commented that you were 18 months with the basal, did you put it once a day, in the morning?
3. After these 18 months you also started with the one before meals, were you with 1 unit for a long time?
Forgive all these questions :)
And thanks for your help!

jleo's profile photo
jleo
10/24/2023 1:09 p.m.

Hi @jleo
If I had antibodies, I gave positive in all: ac antigad, antiia-2.It was a book diabetes, my endocrine said.

The basal always put it at night, about 22:00, with dinner.In the debut there were 8 units, a year and little I climbed to 10 units and now 8 years later I am with 16 units that they tell me is not much.The basal has margin, which I use now, +/- 3 hours before +/- 2 hours.It goes up and down according to glycemia when we get up.

With 1 unit I spent several months, as I measured at two hours eating (postprandial), if I stayed high, the next time I ate the same put me 2 units and thus, test and error.The first 2 years I made a fixed diet of hydrates to be able to control the doses, now that I know myself better I do other diets as I feel like it.

In these 8 years where I learned most from diabetes it was in this forum;I realized that the endocrine tests and error of what he has experienced with other patients because in diabetes there is no guideline that works two days in a row.As soon as I freed myself and started on my own to try doses and meals, I saw that it was practically the same as the endocrine told me when I asked about a concrete meal or situation.

In the end the chronic patient is the one who best knows his illness and the doctor learns from the patient for future debutants.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/26/2023 8:02 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.