{'en': 'GENERAL PROBLEM: What about the Baqsimi glucagon recipe?', 'es': 'PROBLEMA GENERAL: ¿Qué pasa con la receta de glucagón BAQSIMI?'} Image

GENERAL PROBLEM: What about the Baqsimi glucagon recipe?

diabetes's profile photo   01/21/2024 5:18 p.m.

Hello,

I live in Valencia and I want to share a problem that could affect many of us from now on.

My 15 -year -old son, who has suffered from type 1 diabetes for 5 years, has been receiving baqsimi 3 mg nasal dust in united packaging during the last 2 years.

Recently, he has changed from the pediatric endocrinologist to that of adults, and on his first visit, after mentioning that we had an expired baqsimi, the doctor prescribed us a new one, although with certain reservations, and advised us to request in the pharmacy one with the date ofmore distant expiration.

He informed us that this medicine is only prescribed to children under 18, which is a pity according to the endocrinologist himself.The price of the medication has dropped from 200 to 106 euros in 1.5 years.

The recipe requires the approval of an inspector and is only valid for one day.This could complicate the renewal of the medication in the future, since medical visits are every 6 months or more, unless the medicine has a long shelf life.The main problem we have encountered is with the expiration date of Baqsimi.

Despite asking in our usual pharmacy to provide us with one with the most distant expiration date, by picking it up the next day, we discovered that it expired in July, offering only 6 months of useful life.

We protest, since we know online that your useful life is 24 months and the previous one that we bought expired more than 15 months later.However, they did not offer us alternatives and the excuses they gave us were little convincing and contradictory.After contacting two other pharmacies, we discovered that they all had the medication with the same expiration date.

When consulting with the distribution company in Spain (Lilly), they explained that, although it is manufactured in the US. And it has a useful life of 24 months, it is possible that when it is acquired it has a lower expiration date, although it will always be ofAt least 6 months.

It seems unacceptable to waste the useful life of Baqsimi, since its value is inversely proportional to it, becoming completely ineffective when it is short, since the active substance disappears and is recommended to discard it.This gives us the impression of being more a business for the pharmaceutical industry and pharmacies than a benefit for health and, above all, for diabetic patients.

On the website of the Diabetics Association of Catalonia, it is indicated that only one Baqsimi is prescribed a year, which means that social security would not meet the glucagon needs of patients.

What has been your experience with obtaining Baqsimi recipes?What can be done in the future?

Thank you!

diabetes's profile photo
diabetes
01/21/2024 5:18 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

They also prescribed it to me, but seen the cost or of the payment more than 100 euros for something that I generally solve with a sugar over ... and in extraordinary cases, with 2. I understand that when it is very young children, theI can change, of course.

Arse's profile photo
Arse
01/21/2024 6:16 p.m.

Lada desde 2018. Freestyle Libre 2. Tresiva y Humalog J. Alimentación "low carb".

You are right but with a recipe it costs only 4.24 euros (the rest is paid by Social Security).Let it take it in class or when sports is going to do peace of mind.
But if financed, recipes should cover the necessary period.If not someone breaches: pharmaceuticals or health managers.It is a problem to solve.

diabetes's profile photo
diabetes
01/21/2024 8:59 p.m.

But the worst thing is that the normal glucagon of a lifetime is missing and they do not have it in pharmacies at least where I live ...
They told me that they didn't know when I could be again.Thanks to Q with the sensor alarms I have not had fat hypos PQ about 12 or 15 years, I had some and my husband had to put it.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
01/21/2024 9:13 p.m.

I do not use it, I have not bought it for years.My body wakes up.Tonight to 40. Apart from the Soniquete de las alarms.
With sugar under the solucion tongue if you are unconscious

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/21/2024 11:53 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

ruthbia said:
I don't use it, I don't buy it for years.My body wakes up.Tonight to 40. Apart from the Soniquete de las alarms.
With sugar under the solucion tongue in case of being unconscious

Be careful with putting your finger in someone's mouth, you can have seizures ... and you can run out of fingers.You have to block your mouth with something so you can't close it at once.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
01/21/2024 11:57 p.m.

My daughter has it in the fridge .., I think the endocrine of the SS has prescribed it., but I do not know if it is expired ... the truth is that it has never needed it, although in 30 years it has had the amount of hypoglycemia, but it has noticed them and has woke up and solved with a juice that it always has in the table.
Less once I don't know why it came down very fast and felt very dizzy ... the glucometer marked 11 !!That time I gave sugar to tablespoons ... but have 40 many times and solve it without problem.
Now with Toujeo it hardly has none below 50.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/22/2024 2:58 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

ruthbia said:
I don't use it, I don't buy it for years.My body wakes up.Tonight to 40. Apart from the Soniquete de las alarms.

I say that if with sugar under the tongue it was solved there would be no serious cases, as there is, even reaching death, they would not sell and prescribe glucagon ...

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
01/22/2024 10:22 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

To those who are no longer children, the SS does not finance it.He prescribes it to you, yes, but paying the integral cost.Come on, more than 100 euros for a single dose and on top of a very short expiration date

Arse's profile photo
Arse
01/22/2024 1:17 p.m.

Lada desde 2018. Freestyle Libre 2. Tresiva y Humalog J. Alimentación "low carb".

Thanks for your comments.
The main object of this forum is to clarify what happens with the glycagon recipe.In the S.S.

diabetes's profile photo
diabetes
01/22/2024 1:20 p.m.

Thanks for your comments.The main object of this forum is to clarify what happens with the glycagon recipe.
One of the aspects that most insist on the S.S.By teaching us the guidelines, at least for diabetic children, we must carry with us the glucagon to prevent severe cases (loss of knowledge, etc.).The usual thing is to never have to use it but at least have the possibility of using it in extreme cases.
The question that I would like to solve among all is that if the S.S.Finance Baqsimi (at least for children under 18), why don't they facilitate the medicine with an expiration date according to the recipes they give us?
Those of the pharmaceutical Lilly have called us on the phone today (they possibly prefer not to respond in writing so that we cannot use the answer as proof) excusing themselves and saying that we try to go to the endocrine in July (when it expires) to see if they prescribe another.This "no solution"
It is the one that benefits pharmacists, complicates life (we cannot visit the endocrine to the letter, and try to match the view with the expiration of glucagon) and also makes sense to ask for favors to doctors for particular cases, whenThe problem is general, and we must solve it among all, mainly managers (inspectors) and pharmaceutical.
In addition, we have told you for active and passive that it is impossible that if the useful date is 24 months, in practice it is being marketed with a expiration date of only 6 months (for this type of medication whose function is to be stored withoutbe used the price should be according to the expiration date).If the active substance lasts 24 months, it is not understandable that putting it in the afternoon market ¾ parts of the useful life.Who can believe that the medicine does not properties in the first 18 months?And yet it loses its properties from 24 months and 1 day !!!!!!It would also force us to buy it every 6 months.

diabetes's profile photo
diabetes
01/22/2024 1:40 p.m.

ruthbia said:

I closed my mouth strongly and there was no one to open it to me, I also put me even an aggressive pelin, I tell you that impossible to put on sublingual sugar.
But fortunately, at least for me, it is no longer essential for the sensor's hypo alarms, it warns you if it goes down 60. I have not had important hypos from the sensor but before some very fat scares.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
01/22/2024 1:50 p.m.

Well, I still have it on date ...
But they have always prescribed it to me in the SS and I am major ... I pay the corresponding.I have it "in case" (thank God I have never used it) ...
But that they are not financing it and that it is worth 100 and peak euros, it has left me ...
I have always used this Link "style =" max-width: 300px;

SilviaGRZ's profile photo
SilviaGRZ
01/23/2024 8:13 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Díabética desde los 4 años. Ahora tengo 37.
Hbg 6'9..

Quiet, the problem of recipes is only for the baqsimi nasal glucagon, which is much more comfortable and also does not have to be in fridge.
I think that the one you use is financed and you should not have any problem.

diabetes's profile photo
diabetes
01/24/2024 10:19 a.m.

diabetes said:
quiet, the problem of recipes is only for the baqsimi nasal glucagon, which is much more comfortable and also does not have to be in fridge.
I think that the one you use is financed and you should not have any problem.

In my community the normal is also missing

meginer's profile photo
meginer
01/24/2024 12:12 p.m.

pino7070's profile photo
pino7070
01/24/2024 2:07 p.m.

In principle there are shortages until September, they arrive at pharmacies but little

pino7070's profile photo
pino7070
01/24/2024 2:08 p.m.

@isabelbota

I say that if with sugar under the tongue it was solved there would be no serious cases, as there is, even reaching death, they would not sell and prescribe glucagon ...

Well, you tell the diabetological nurses of Toledo and Madrid.Both centers told me in the formations.
Because of course, no one goes down the street with a 5th C fridge to wear the glucagon.And with the new inhaled for the same, difficult for you to carry it on the street

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/24/2024 3:47 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

The unfortunate thing is that we have been injected in pharmacies since June without glucagon and the inhaled remains exclusively financed for children under 18 and with a visa.Novo Nordisk says he does not manufacture glucagon because he has no syringe supply, something that is difficult to believe.
Unfortunately, as a pharmacist I frequently face the demand of patients with respect to the expiration date, mainly in adrenalins for allergic ones, because Baqsimi prescriptions have only seen one in my life.But the truth is that if in drug distribution stores there are only them with a certain date, we cannot do anything else from the pharmacy.And these medications only arrive at the pharmacy by this route.
On the other hand, if someone thinks that a company will devote years of research and economic and human resources to develop things that were science fiction when I began to be diabetic, such as glucose sensors or inhaled glucagon, without obtaining an economic economic benefitIn return, it is ready.
Glucagon should only be used when the person is unconscious, has difficulty swallowing, or has a gastroenteritis that prevents food absorption.Although it is true that glucose is absorbed directly under the tongue by concentration difference, it is very risky not to have it at home.You never know what can happen, and can save us life.Does anyone think that in all our years of life as diabetics we will never be wrong with the dose of insulin?

Gonz's profile photo
Gonz
01/28/2024 4:47 p.m.

@Gonz, is there either injectable?
Well, that is worrying.
In 30 years, my daughter didn't need it, but once I had to give sugar to tablespoons .. I marked 11 the glucometer!And I still don't know what.
As a child he had some gastroenteritis that made us go wrong, if he had known him, he would have put glucagon microdosis with insulin syringes, but he did not know that he could use like this ..
Total, who still never used glucagon, but we are not calm if he is not in the fridge.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/29/2024 11:17 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.