{'en': 'Medical advance: Type 1 diabetic lives without insulin for more than two years', 'es': 'Avance médico: diabético tipo 1 vive sin insulina por más de dos años'} Image

Medical advance: Type 1 diabetic lives without insulin for more than two years

fer's profile photo   07/31/2023 10:47 a.m.

I share the confidential article that informs about a potentially revolutionary advance in the treatment of type 1 diabetes.

VERTEX, a pharmaceutical company, has developed an experimental therapy called VX-880 that has shown hopeful results in diabetic patients.

The first patient treated with this therapy, Brian Shelton, has been without insulin for more than two years and has maintained his glucose levels under control.

Five other patients have also experienced significant improvements in their insulin dependence.

The therapy is based on the use of stem cells to produce beta cells of the pancreas that produce insulin.However, treatment requires immunosuppression to avoid the rejection of these cells.

Although the results are promising, researchers still face challenges to improve therapy, such as finding a way to avoid immunosuppression and establish a viable production and distribution of cells.

The article also mentions that there are other companies involved in the race to find a cure for type 1 diabetes and that the path to a definitive solution will still take time.

Despite the advances, scientists and experts are cautious and expect conclusive results in larger clinical trials before considering therapy as a definitive cure for type 1 diabetes.

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
07/31/2023 10:47 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

You should put that it has immunosuppression in the title, so you save false illusions

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/31/2023 12:09 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@Sherpa41 I understand what you say, and I suppose you mean this part of the article:

"In the absence of a better solution, the only option to prove the therapy was to induce patients to a state of pharmacological immunosuppression, to avoid both the rejection of cell transplant and the organism's attack."

And this "immunosuppression implies many risks"

To which this one follows, that we should not put aside:

"To solve this, VERTEX has a second clinical trial, baptized VX-264, in which the cells to be implemented would be inserted into that device that would protect them from the immune scrutiny or the attacks of the lymphocytes. Therefore, notImmunosuppression would be necessary and could be used for patients of any age. "

While it is true that this is the biggest problem for adoption, it is still hopeful that you are working in a healing line, and that there are options to solve immunosuppression problems.

fer's profile photo
fer
07/31/2023 2:39 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

That was already towards the Vivorx company in 94. While publishing the success of a patient with immunosuppression also tested the alginate capsules to be able to put the cells without immunosuppression.

Thus, speaking of both at the same time, they strained it to the media, people were excited and won a lot of pasta in the bag.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/31/2023 4 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I think that company Vartex was founded by a biologist who is diabetic and has two children with diabetes since childhood.At least it is someone who is working hard to find a solution.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/31/2023 11:20 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

regina said:
I think that company Vartex was founded by a biologist who is diabetic and has two children with diabetes since childhood.At least it is someone who is working hard to find a solution.

The company does not know, but the article begins by lying blatantly:

"After two years without needing insulin and with its perfect glucose controls, Shelton is considered the zero patient, the first person who could have cured a disease that in all endocrinology manuals still appears as incurable"

I have stopped reading there.

There are thousands of people who ceased to be diabetics either by pancreas transplants or beta cell transplantation with immunosuppression.For more than 30 years.

27 years ago, just when I debut, my cousin (which was also type 1 diabet) had to make a kidney transplant.And they took the opportunity to put beta cells, so it became an independent insulin.He has been clicking for 25 years, but taking immunosuppressants.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/01/2023 12:14 a.m.

@Sherpa41, 25 years old lasted the beta?It is very good news, even for transplanted.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/01/2023 5:04 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

regina said:
@sherpa41, 25 years old lasted the beta ??It is very good news, even for transplanted.

I saw her 9 years ago and told me that they had to put beta cells again because they began to fail him.I think they usually last about 10 years.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/01/2023 10:43 a.m.

If they will last so long they would transplant them at all every 10 years, they last about 6 months maximum

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
08/01/2023 11:10 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

rogerix said:
If they would last so long they would transplant them to all 10 years, they last about 6 months maximum

They do not put them because immunosuppression is worse than diabetes.

If they only last 6 months, they would not be put to immunosuppressed.That must be what last in non -immunosuppressed patients or when they are encapsulated.

The same protagonist of this news says he has been with beta cells for 2 years being an independent insulin.And that surely the immunosuppression that carries is weaker than that of a transplant.

At the end of the article it is dropped that what is intended is to transplant encapsulated beta cells and change them every 5 years.And that they would be satisfied if those not encapsulated from successful experiments stop working at 10 years.

P.D: Very suspicious that the company with the most promising solution, it will buy Elli Lilly

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/01/2023 12:20 p.m.

@Sherpa41, it is suspicious to buy it Lilly, but stem cells have to serve many other diseases and organs.
I think they can replace many transplants and improve many other insufficiencies, apart from diabetes.
They have to get out profitable.
I think the future of medicine is there, and that they will become such an important treatment as antibiotics or vaccines.Another thing is that there is still a lot of research ahead.
But if you say that your cousin, with kidney and beta transplant, has survived 25 years, is very hopeful.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/02/2023 11:51 p.m.

Much is missing, but it is the future.They have to find a way not to need immunodees and that is "easy" to transplant.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/05/2023 2:02 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

The issue of implanting Beta cells is already tired, we have been with this for more than 40 years.You always have to keep in mind that the immune system will attack them again.Well, living with immunosuppression is an option, and it is a way to enhance malignant tumors.It doesn't look very well.
As for microencapsulated beta cells, it is another story.They are like within cages, they can "breathe", that is, they reach them plasma and can segregate insulin, without the elements of the immune system, which are considerable size (macrophages, T-Asian cells, etc.) can enter.It's like those cages to be between sharks.In this case the divers would be beta cells.A person, at least, lived for a year in this way without insulin -dependence (exterior).The walls of the cell should not attract the attention of the immune system, or they would cover it, so the material of the one that is made is important.Luckily it does not have to be biological, such as the cell/s that are inside.
Another, and better, of course, that is to tell the immunity system to stop giving the pain, but without deactivating it (immunosuppression), for this you have to know that it causes them to eat beta cells, but we are quite far from this.We are entering the field of psychobiology ... and that is in diapers.

PeterNut's profile photo
PeterNut
08/06/2023 6:06 p.m.

Last year on a trip to London I met Paul Scandon an American transplantation of pancreas, he approached me when he saw me insulin, and we were speaking hours used that he was also on the same tour, he told me that he put more than twenty timesA day the insulin before the operation and that it was an torture to be every half hour clicking for the capillaries, but now it was even worse, why he had already admitted so many times in the hospital by colds, pulmonies, even two cancers due to theMedication with immunosiders, in addition to having to leave work why it inhaled Serrín, cough blood .....
That an operated person tells you that he is trying to be extracted by the pancreas and that he is looking forward to returning to insulin and capillaries every little time makes you think.

If an effective treatment has not yet come out, why Elon Mask is not diabetic

_Tacker_'s profile photo
_Tacker_
08/06/2023 7:56 p.m.

@_Tacker_, but that man, the pancreas transplanted without needing another transplant?
That is weird, they usually do it next to a kidney ... if not, it doesn't make much sense.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/06/2023 9:46 p.m.

regina said:
@_ tacker_, but that man, did the pancreas transplant without needing another transplant?
That is weird, they usually do it next to a kidney one ... if not, it doesn't make much sense.

Tell me how much money you have or which medical insurance in the United States and is not so weird.
In theory when you are a slave of a treatment they do it for facilitating your life or why your medical insurance covers you.But in the case of Paul they did not hit much.

_Tacker_'s profile photo
_Tacker_
08/07/2023 5:52 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.