{'en': 'Diabetes 2: Reduce breakfast carbohydrates limits hyperglycemia', 'es': 'Diabetes 2: reducir los carbohidratos del desayuno limita la hiperglucemia'} Image

Diabetes 2: Reduce breakfast carbohydrates limits hyperglycemia

fer's profile photo   02/05/2024 12:57 p.m.

A low carbohydrate meal, early in the morning, seems to help control blood sugar throughout the day, according to a study.

Changing traditional low breakfast in fat, with oats, roasted and fruits, foods with low carbohydrate content and more protein and fat, such as eggs with ham or cheese, can help people with type 2 diabetesYour blood sugar level for most of the day.

In a study that appears in American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Dr. Barbara F. Oliveira, from the British Columbia University, in Canada, and director of the same, emphasizes that changing only one meal helped to keep the level of the level ofBlood sugar throughout the day.

"We are not talking about a complete review of the diet," says Dr. Oliveira, and recalls that "one of the many complications for people living with type 2 diabetes are the rapid increases in blood glucose levels, afterA meal.Our research indicates that a low carbohydrate meal, early in the morning, seems to help control blood sugar throughout the day. ”

It is well known that the control of glucose levels is essential to reduce the complications of diabetes 2, including inflammation and cardiovascular diseases, the main cause of morbidity in these people.

In this sense, he insists that “treatment strategies, which can help reduce glucose oscillations after meals and their rapid changes, are crucial to control this condition.We have determined that if the first meal of the day is low in carbohydrates and high in proteins and fats, we can limit hyperglycemic changes.

Carbohydrates in type 2 diabetes

Diets low in carbohydrates have become fashionable in recent years and have been recognized as a dietary strategy to improve glucose control, Dr. Oliveira emphasizes.However, like all diets, it is difficult to follow, especially in the long term.

Instead of asking diabetes 2 patients to commit all meals to be low in carbohydrates, their team examined the thesis of doing only the first low -day meal in carbohydrates to see how that affects adherence to the diet and, more importantly, how it affects blood glucose levels.

In this 12 -week work, 121 volunteers (53 % women with average age of 64 years) divided into two groups participated.One of them was advised to ate a low -carbohydrate breakfast selection containSelection of low and high fat options in carbohydrates containing about 56 grams of carbohydrates, 20 grams of protein and 15 grams of fat.The two breakfast options in both groups contributed 450 calories, each of them.

All volunteers were provided with a continuous glucose monitoring device, which they used during the study and blood tests were also performed, before and after 12 weeks, to measure their average blood sugar levels.

Scientists also measured their weight and the circumference of the waist at the beginning and end of the test.As the study progressed, they recognized satiety, energy and levels of activity.

Glucose level reduction

Dr. Oliveira points out that, although there were no significant differences between the bass group in carbohydrates and another in terms of weight, the body mass index or the circumference of the waist, the low carbohydrate groupHe observed a reduction in blood sugar levels and some were able to reduce their glucose level, lowering the medication.

Oscillations up and down at blood glucose levels, known as glycemic variability, with the low carbohydrate group were also significantly lower, which suggests the benefits of a low breakfast in carbohydrates to stabilize sugar levels inblood throughout the day.

Another interesting find was that the people who chose breakfast under carbohydrates adopted a lower intake of calories and carbohydrates at lunch and during the rest of the day.This could suggest that a breakfast rich in fats and proteins, although under carbohydrates, can affect daily eating habits.

"When making a small adjustment in the single -meal carbohydrate content instead of in the entire diet, we have the potential to significantly increase adhesion while we get significant benefits," explains this researcher.

fer's profile photo
fer
02/05/2024 12:57 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Let's go guys!There is no better breakfast than a good fried egg with ham!
In the morning there is a lot of insulin resistance, a breakfast loaded with hydrates is not a good idea for anyone, diabetic and non -diabetic.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
02/06/2024 4:54 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

@ENSALADA especially if they do it to me, serve and Friegan...ha ha ha

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
02/06/2024 8:28 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

ruthbia said:
@salad especially if they do it to me, serve and friendly... hahaha

Yes, that's desirable.And eat it on a terrace with views while we participate in this forum.This is how blood glucose is better controlled;)

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
02/07/2024 11:11 a.m.

Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

salad said:
ruthbia said:
@salad especially if they do it to me, serve and friendly... hahaha

Yes, that's desirable.And eat it on a terrace with views while we participate in this forum.This is how blood glucose is better controlled;)

I wouldn't take it as a joke.My levels on weekends or holiday periods have nothing to do with those who have any other normal day with work, extracurricular children, etc ...

I mean even eating worse, drinking alcohol, without respecting the schedules, etc ... the levels are much better than the normal ones to have.

For example, in my last summer vacation, which were 2 weeks, the average glyc was 5.5%.No hypos and hypers could count on the fingers of one hand.

Happy stress ...: '(:#

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
02/07/2024 11:43 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

What envy @sandman!

They are very good numbers ... Is it possible that stress affects you a lot during the work period?

fer's profile photo
fer
02/07/2024 12:25 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@Fer I think stress affects a lot.Even a mild stress level.

I use three basal guidelines a week: one for the weekend (the lowest) one more unit for the two days of teleworking and another unit for office days.I am quite zen and my work does not entail great concerns, but sums: the jam of the journey by car to the curro+ the activity of the office+ the immobility in front of the computer+ the stress of the stress ofRemove the tasks entrusted.

@Sandman I don't take it jokingly, but with irony.That is, I am fully convinced of what I say, blood glucose is better controlled when you are relaxed and enjoying the things you like and add a little humor that for me is the salt of life.(The cake of the cake, because the blood glucose would rise;))

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
02/07/2024 1:15 p.m.

Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

fer said:
what envy @sandman!

They are very good numbers ... Is it possible that stress affects you a lot during the work period?

Well, I don't know.I guess everyone will affect us to a greater or lesser extent.

I notice it since I wake up (my alba effect is exaggerated during the week. To wake up 100-110 to get in 150-160 until breakfast a couple of hours later. The end of the week does not go up so much) and in the afternoonIt usually goes up at 6-7 in the afternoon and even dinner.

It is not that it has a bad control (last glyc 5.7% and 96% in range) not much less.But the days of "rest" on weekends or vacation my values ​​are usually even better, with glycos closer to 5.4%-5.5%and range 97-98%, even many days achieved 100%

With my wife I usually joke that I am so vague that if I did not have to work, it would not seem diabetic: D: D: D: D: D

I wish I could keep those values ​​every day !!!

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
02/07/2024 1:42 p.m.

salad said:
@I think stress affects a lot.Even a mild stress level.

I use three basal guidelines a week: one for the weekend (the lowest) one more unit for the two days of teleworking and another unit for office days.I am quite zen and my work does not entail great concerns, but sums: the jam of the journey by car to the curro+ the activity of the office+ the immobility in front of the computer+ the stress of the stress ofRemove the tasks entrusted.

@Sandman I don't take it jokingly, but with irony.That is, I am fully convinced of what I say, blood glucose is better controlled when you are relaxed and enjoying the things you like and add a little humor that for me is the salt of life.(The cake of the cake, because the blood glucose would rise;))

@Ensalada knew you were ironic.It was to emphasize everything that affects our diabetes and not only what we eat.

In the next review I will ask my endocrine to give me the total decline.Eye, I offer myself as a subject of tests to verify what the routine and stress affects in our day to day: P;): D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
02/07/2024 1:46 p.m.

sandman said:
salad said:
ruthbia said:
ruthbia said:
@salad especially if they do it, serve andFriegan... hahaha

I wouldn't take it as a joke.My levels on weekends or holiday periods have nothing to do with those who have any other normal day with work, extracurricular children, etc ...

I mean even eating worse, drinking alcohol, without respecting the schedules, etc ... the levels are much better than the normal ones to have.

For example, in my last summer vacation, which were 2 weeks, the average glyc was 5.5%.No hypos and hypers could count on the fingers of one hand.

Happy stress ...: '(:#

Jo because you have because it happens to me, how I am on vacation or rest and I leave, I get out of the routine and as more outside and everything is mismatched.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
02/07/2024 7:08 p.m.

@meginer: The same thing happens to me.Travel or eating out of home implies juggling with insulin.Insured mismatch and consequent stress.It is what there is, I have no choice but to accept that my control will not be so good to enjoy those moments

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
02/08/2024 9:32 a.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

To me also what uncontrolled me is getting out of the routine ... 😔😔
What normally when one happens better.What envy you give me @sandman

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
02/08/2024 9:55 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I sometimes affect me a lot to get out of the routine and others not, and the worst thing is that I cannot find a relationship
Very difficult this, sometimes it seems to me to be in a doctorate

milagros's profile photo
milagros
02/12/2024 12:53 a.m.

It's like a gymkana;or rather as yellow humor.If you are wrong, fall into the mud.
I sometimes successful and sometimes not.As @ricki21 says you have to let go and not scourge, we have to enjoy those moments outside our routine.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
02/12/2024 8:32 p.m.

Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Some of this is known a long time ago.My father, insulin -dependent, type I diabetic diagnosed in 1958, told him his doctors who had to have breakfast a French tortilla and something else, but the egg could not be missing.Then the stares were also completely prohibited, practically all fruits, particularly melon and banana.

Gracian's profile photo
Gracian
02/18/2024 12:02 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.