{'en': 'Almost 2 out of 10 people with type 2 diabetes have depression', 'es': 'Casi 2 de cada 10 personas con diabetes tipo 2 tienen depresión'} Image

Almost 2 out of 10 people with type 2 diabetes have depression

fer's profile photo   10/20/2023 12:56 p.m.

31 percent of people with diabetes feel "exceeded" by the disease, while 17 percent of patients with type 2 diabetes have depression, according to the expert psychologist in diabetes of the Navarra Diabetes Association (Anadi),Iñaki Lorente.

In addition, it is estimated that the generalized anxiety disorder is very present in people suffering from type 2 diabetes. For this reason, the Spanish Diabetes Federation (Fede) wants to highlight that diabetes does not only affect the body of patients, but thatIt is also closely related to mental health.

Being a chronic pathology, it demands very strict levels of self -care and perseverance in adherence to treatment.This can lead to a trend capable of causing emotional impacts such as stress, anxiety or depression.

The number of people affected by diabetes in the world continues to increase, currently reaching the 537 million affected.Of these, more than 61 million live in the European continent, and almost 6 million are Spanish.However, many people do not know the impact on the body.

Type 2 diabetes mellitus is a chronic, multifactorial disease with genetic and environmental base.In the short term it is silent, it does not hurt and does not bother, but in the long term tires, exhausts and demotivates.Therefore, it is very important to bring good control of pathology and its treatment.

Likewise, taking care of the mental health of those affected is essential in treatment, since thanks to this you can increase self -control over pathology and avoid complications.In this regard, patient associations together with relatives and the close environment are placed as an essential pillar for the emotional support of the patient.

In this sense, the president of the Spanish Diabetes Federation (Fede), Juan Francisco Perán, points out that "we must be aware that the body and mind influence each other continuously."

"Any psychological problem can negatively influence another disease, such as diabetes. Therefore, it is importantThey help him advance, "says Perán.

fer's profile photo
fer
10/20/2023 12:56 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Uff for me is a very extensive theme and with many aspects ...
In my case one thing and the other go hand in hand.Diabetes and anxiety / anxiety and diabetes (not to mention when it is aggravated and becomes depression).
I have had seasons of such anxiety (even if it is not because of the same disease and their care) that they had to medicate me because no matter how much I did, I had terrible cortisol and glucose levels ... and this generated me in turn more anxiety...
From time to time I have to go back, and then when I'm better leaving it and so ...
I am not ashamed at all to say that I go to the psychiatrist and the psychologist, and that it is a shame that there are professionals who are not up to date (I know there are specialized psychologists "in") who understand the great sacrifice that is made every dayto carry adequate blood glucose and social toll (as you said @Fer) that we constantly pay and the concerns that this entails apart from what we all have (which are not few) in daily life.

SilviaGRZ's profile photo
SilviaGRZ
10/20/2023 3:45 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Díabética desde los 4 años. Ahora tengo 37.
Hbg 6'9..

Yes, I am.Only anxiety and depression have already come to me before and I was already in treatment, in fact the endocrine that saw me wanted to remove everything that took less a pill, besides suddenly ... something that did notI made, of course, the PTSD is not resolved overnight and sometimes the medication is necessary.Of course, the psychiatrist/psychotherapist paid me, because in the public they told me that what I had to do was stop thinking ... in the end

cgs's profile photo
cgs
10/20/2023 9:24 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.