{'en': 'When diabetes entails anxiety', 'es': 'Cuando la diabetes conlleva ansiedad'} Image

When diabetes entails anxiety

fer's profile photo   02/08/2024 3:50 p.m.

The social, emotional and psychological aspects of people with diabetes are key factors to consider to improve their health and quality of life.

And, according to a study published in Diabetes Care, depression and anxiety have a greater presence in this population group: approximately between 2 and 3 times more than in the general population.

These data put in black on white the need for comprehensive treatment and really humanized health care to patients with diabetes.

In this context, patient associations emphasize that they can provide significant support.

Thus, the support that patients can find in the online community is essential, through the contribution of information and resources, as well as emotional support spaces where to share experiences, since up to 17% of patients with type 2 diabetes have depression.

Recognizing and validating the emotions of people with diabetes is essential for coexistence with the disease.

On the other hand, the human connection that is achieved with the online community by sharing experiences, fears and challenges helps to alleviate the sensation of loneliness and reduce the stress that diabetes entails.

These are support networks that strengthen the feeling of belonging and understanding, so necessary for emotional management.

fer's profile photo
fer
02/08/2024 3:50 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

And this forum is better than any association ...

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
02/09/2024 8:14 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I am a diabetic with 40 years of insulinotherapy behind my back with all that that entails.All my life I have been depriving myself of eating things, going to places and feeling in my stomach the itching hunger.I have never crossed the line;That is why I still keep my 2 eyes, my 2 kidneys and my 2 legs.

I would like to comment that diabetes does not cause me anxiety but rather on the contrary.
A person suffering from the disease but does not behave as such, who does not assume his condition, who does not live life under this sign is condemned to failure.You have to change the chip, see the world, reality and life from that new perspective that means being diabetic.If it is done that way I will not say that a completely full and satisfactory life is lived, but I will say that it is a quiet and healthy life.

And I said before diabetes does not cause anxiety but rather the contrary because that has been my particular case.Any situation that causes me nervousness or stress shoots my blood glucose, or makes me less sensitive to the action of insulin or I know.I have been living with a depression for reasons that have nothing to do with my illness and I have seen how I have been losing ground.I have had to increase the doses and their periodicity, in addition to the fact that I have also had to change the insulin phenotype 2 times that I was putting on.

The mental health of the diabetic is important, but that is task especially for the family that must try to create a friendly and affable environment so that the diabetic feels comfortable and free of problems and concerns.

THC's profile photo
THC
02/13/2024 11:31 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.