{'en': 'I present myself, father of a 16 -year -old boy', 'es': 'Me presento, padre de un niño de 16 años'} Image

I present myself, father of a 16 -year -old boy

Sr_fenix's profile photo   02/08/2024 4:13 p.m.

My name is David and I am a 16 -year -old boy who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago.

Although we already have some experience with diabetes, since my wife's brother is diabetic type 1, celiac and has Down syndrome, which further complicates the situation.

Diabetes is very familiar to us, as well as the use of sensors, etc.

However, we never imagine that something like this would happen to one of our children, and it has been.The news impacted us deeply, leaving us quite dismayed during this last week.

I have been reading many pages and I think the forum does exceptional work.

My son began to feel tingling and a lot of thirst a week ago.At that moment, my wife and I did a test with his uncle's glucometer, and his glucose level was 368. I immediately take him to the hospital, and there he has been until today.

Initially, 8 units of prolonged action insulin and 3 of Toujeo for breakfast, lunch and dinner prescribed.Then, three days later, the nurse adjusted the dose, adding 1.5 units for snack.

Today, after his second appointment with the endocrinologist, they increased to 9 units of prolonged action insulin and rapid action 5, since their glucose levels were kept closer to 200 than 100.

We will see how we are doing.

In addition, today they have given us an appointment for next month for the placement of the sensor and we have been registered in a four -day course.

Greetings,

Sr_fenix's profile photo
Sr_fenix
02/08/2024 4:13 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Before the children were entered and they were given a course and until I learned, they did not discharge you ... a week admitted without being bad.
But of course it is the best.
You need to give you a diabetes course.It is a very complicated disease and knowledge makes a difference.
I have been 11 years old since 1985, and without any complication. They attended me very well.But there was almost nothing of the media today.
The toujeo is a plain slow insulin, it is usually put once upset, always at the same time.It is usually combined with rapid insulin at meals.You have to teach you to handle it, and give you a continuous glucose measurement system, that thing that sticks to the arm (it is a great advance), you also need to know a lot of nutrition.It is very important that he looks at a plate of food and know how many carbohydrates (sugar) there are.Thus you can calculate the insulin you need.
I hope that the doctor who is seeing you is an endocrine and the nurse, is specialized in diabetes.A family doctor cannot take a type I diabetic.
I recommend that you look for a diabetic association in your area, it is great support and you can learn a lot.
Another thing and this is the most important thing.Your son is already older, he is the one who has to learn and must know more about his diabetes than any family doctor.
Good luck.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
02/08/2024 5:44 p.m.

What I do not understand is because they take a month to give them the sensors for continuous measurement.

In a newly debuted that should be how 1 they gave you.To see how your body works, insulin and food curves.How it affects exercise and to be calmer and prevent and detect hypoglycemia

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/08/2024 5:54 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

juansolo said:
before the children were entered and they were given a course and until I learned, they did not discharge you ... a week admitted without being bad.
You need to give you a diabetes course.It is a very complicated disease and knowledge makes a difference.
I have been 11 years old since 1985, and without any complication. They attended me very well.But there was almost nothing of the media today.
The toujeo is a plain slow insulin, it is usually put once upset, always at the same time.It is usually combined with rapid insulin at meals.You have to teach you to handle it, and give you a continuous glucose measurement system, that thing that sticks to the arm (it is a great advance), you also need to know a lot of nutrition.It is very important that he looks at a plate of food and know how many carbohydrates (sugar) there are.Thus you can calculate the insulin you need.
I hope that the doctor who is seeing you is an endocrine and the nurse, is specialized in diabetes.A family doctor cannot take a type I diabetic.
I recommend that you look for a diabetic association in your area, it is great support and you can learn a lot.
Another thing and this is the most important thing.Your son is already older, he is the one who has to learn and must know more about his diabetes than any family doctor.
Good luck.

Let's see, I'm answering.
We have the course in March 4 days, days before we will have the sensor on.
Insulin as you say is put in two types the slow (toujeo) and the rapid (Humalog Junior).

Indeed see us an endocrine at the Virgen del Rocio hospital and the nurse.
As for my son "Luckily or misfortune" and to see his uncle countless times (even my son I always had FreeLink's app to be able to measure the sugar) because more or less he knows or at least does not sound Chinese everythingwhat is related to diabetes.Total, only the analysis is done with the glocometer from the first day, and from the second or third day the insulin is put only.

Worse we carry the issue of rations, and results with insulin.But I suppose it will be a bit essay and error added to the fact that there is no perfect rule for this.

Sr_fenix's profile photo
Sr_fenix
02/08/2024 8:38 p.m.

sherpa41 said:
what I don't understand is because it takes a month to give them the sensors for continuous measurement.

In a newly debuted that should be how 1 they gave you.To see how your body works, insulin and food curves.How the exercise affects and to be calmer and prevent and detect hypoglycemia

Yes, I think I should have it from almost the first day, but they claim that before you should know how to control the glucometer, lancetas, etc ...

In fact I am valuing to buy sensors already, and not wait, because it is true that with the glucometer there are hours that apart from that you do not know anything, the worst thing is not to know if it is going down or up and I do not think that it should be clicking onevery moment.But without a sensor there are many hours in the day that you are without information.And without being able to learn how your body reacts more accurate both to food intake and insulin.And let's not talk about whether you have any hiccups.

What is helping me a lot this forum, the information it contains is gold.

Sr_fenix's profile photo
Sr_fenix
02/08/2024 8:43 p.m.

Welcome and a lot of encouragement.
At least if your son is familiar with diabetes you already have a very important given step.At first everything is new and at least you part of a base, so everything will be more bearable.
Do not worry about not getting close in everything because it is impossible and more at the beginning.
And ask here everything you need.Indeed in the forum we all learn from the experience of others and makes us feel accompanied.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
02/08/2024 8:51 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I would buy a sensor in a particular way.In fact it is what until recently.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/08/2024 9:48 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

sr_fenix said:
juance said:
before the children were entered and they were given a course and until I learned, they did not discharge you... a week admitted without being bad.
Good luck.

Let's see, I'm answering.
We have the course in March 4 days, days before we will have the sensor on.
Insulin as you say is put in two types the slow (toujeo) and the rapid (Humalog Junior).

Indeed see us an endocrine at the Virgen del Rocio hospital and the nurse.
As for my son "Luckily or misfortune" and to see his uncle countless times (even my son I always had FreeLink's app to be able to measure the sugar) because more or less he knows or at least does not sound Chinese everythingwhat is related to diabetes.Total, only the analysis is done with the glocometer from the first day, and from the second or third day the insulin is put only.

Worse we carry the issue of rations, and results with insulin.But I suppose it will be a bit essay and error added to the fact that there is no perfect rule for this.

You are from Seville, then, they carry it in the V of Rocío, I am also from Seville and also my endocrine is from that hospital, especially I speak with him for Tfno because I am a family doctor and I have the unit's TFNO.
Who is your endocrine?
It is a fairly good unit.I hope that within how roll it is, you are well served.
We refer to the ptes q they debut type 1 and that have no imptes complications (they are stable and there is no suspicion of ketoacidosis e.g. directly to the DB day unit, what happens is that I work in the area of ​​the Macarena hospital but it works but it workssimilar.A hug.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
02/08/2024 11:41 p.m.

I agree.The sensor is essential to understand how your body reacts with each intake.
Apart from the immense tranquility that gives you and your child to always be aware of any hypoglycemia.
Quiet countryman that you will see that little by little you are doing with the situation.

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
02/08/2024 11:44 p.m.

sr_fenix said:
my name is David and I am a 16 -year -old boy who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago.

Although we already have some experience with diabetes, since my wife's brother is diabetic type 1, celiac and has Down syndrome, which further complicates the situation.

Diabetes is very familiar to us, as well as the use of sensors, etc.

However, we never imagine that something like this would happen to one of our children, and it has been.The news impacted us deeply, leaving us quite dismayed during this last week.

I have been reading many pages and I think the forum does exceptional work.

My son began to feel tingling and a lot of thirst a week ago.At that moment, my wife and I did a test with his uncle's glucometer, and his glucose level was 368. I immediately take him to the hospital, and there he has been until today.

Initially, 8 units of prolonged action insulin and 3 of Toujeo for breakfast, lunch and dinner prescribed.Then, three days later, the nurse adjusted the dose, adding 1.5 units for snack.

Today, after his second appointment with the endocrinologist, they increased to 9 units of prolonged action insulin and rapid action 5, since their glucose levels were kept closer to 200 than 100.

We will see how we are doing.

In addition, today they have given us an appointment for next month for the placement of the sensor and we have been registered in a four -day course.

Greetings,

Hi David.Our son debuted 3 months ago.He turned 15 when he left the hospital.We had a very bad time at the beginning.We cry a lot.It's another thing now.Everything improves.

This forum is pure gold because people know and it's very very.

I would really buy a sensor, it's something else.And I would give a can to have the course now.Also look associations.In Seville there will be very good sure.

Learn to count rations and make rich recipes, that helps.

And the very useful exercise to control glycemia, but I would wait there for the sensor.

I came to me the world three months ago and now it is almost almost routine.

Much encouragement

madreDMT1's profile photo
madreDMT1
02/08/2024 11:48 p.m.

Madre de adolescente DM1 (nacido en 2008), con DM1 desde 17/11/2023
Abasaglar 19
80-150 Raciones HC/día, dependiendo mucho de los planes y del deporte.
Sensor FreeStyle Libre 3
Madrid

<>

Sr_fenix's profile photo
Sr_fenix
02/09/2024 12:51 a.m.

@SR_Fenix: Welcome to the forum and many spirits.
What the classmates tell you to buy you a sensor is a good idea.You can watch Abbott's videos that explain everything you want to know related to the sensor.
On Instagram you will also find very good communicators (doctors and diabetics) that explain many things related to diabetes.
And, of course, there is this forum where you can ask

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
02/09/2024 9:51 a.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

I am the father of another 16 -year -old boy who has debuted 2 and a half months ago, the first day they gave him a sensor, and the first 4 days, learning course, the truth that the sensor is wonderful, although it gives you, dislikes of hypoglycemia andHyperglycemia, at first, because everything is varying, but little apocus, with what you see online, and what they explain, you are controlling, and above all trying to understand you, son .... Let everything go well,all the best

JBF's profile photo
JBF
02/11/2024 10:31 p.m.

jbf said:
I am the father of another 16 -year -old boy who has debuted 2 and a half, the first day they gave him a sensor, and the first 4 days, learning course, the truth that theSensor is wonderful, although he gives you, dislikeUnderstand you, son .... Let everything go well, greeting

A lot of JBF, I really do not understand very well because these differences between communities or even hospitals for the subject of courses, sensor etc.Sometimes in this country it seems that the one who lives for example in Almeria and the one who lives in Galicia live in different countries.

The truth is that as a father it is very hard to see that a child has this for life.

Sr_fenix's profile photo
Sr_fenix
02/14/2024 8:25 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.