{'en': 'First Christmas with type 1 diabetes', 'es': 'Primera Navidad con Diabetes tipo 1'} Image

First Christmas with type 1 diabetes

madreDMT1's profile photo   12/29/2023 5:41 p.m.

Reflections of the first Christmas with a DM1 son.

I share them in case someone wants to give me some advice or add some.

I have the feeling of doing it or bad or very bad.It is true that 6 weeks after the diagnosis my son already has a time in a range of 91% and it seems that we are controlling it a bit (especially since my son is great, and his father even more, I really really).

But this is much more complicated than one thinks.The problem is not to prick or not (that also), but the damn curve and the eighty circumstances that vary it.I have read someone very reasonable mentioning the full moon and its impact.

A few weeks ago I would have said, what nonsense has said.Now I have noted it, because it doesn't even miss me.

Christmas, and the family/friends, do not always help:

1) The family is comprehensive ... to one point.There is a lot of ignorance about what exactly diabetes is and it is difficult to explain - without offending - that to sitting half a nougat is crazy for a diabetic, but it is not good for a non -diabetic.

2) Everyone thinks, especially if you don't know.This reminds me of when my son and I was born with breastfeeding demand.Every living bug, would have breastfeeding, had his opinion.Well here the same.We have heard everything, in particular "well, it is not so much. Total is to puncture and point."

3) When you travel, in many places the options of eating something that does not totally unruck the curve are greatly reduced.Concrete gas stations are deserted of food.

4) The nougat with almond is more controllable than it seemed.Suchard with inflated rice is evil.The polvorones go up late and it is convenient only if you are going to give a walk.Candeal white bread glued a deadly climb as soon as you turn.

5) It is difficult (as a mother) to maintain the virtuous balance of accompanying and encouraging your diabetic son, of which I cannot be more proud (hopefully I could change for him and fit the DM1, but that is another story), and to theonce maintain a certain alert with the heavy relative who says, well, but nothing happens because it eats [add whatever you have not measured]

6) The easiest way to spend good night, and avoid both hypos and hyper, is a dinner with less hydrates and, where appropriate, his glass of milk at 12 or 1am.

7) Fat meats (Iberian secret, red meat) go up late and at night they hit you.

8) A sensor teenager who does a lot of sport must wear his patchecito, because at the minimum of several days sweating, he falls.And it does not fall when it comes well to you.It falls at 4 in the morning in a hotel in the middle of the mountain.

Greetings!

madreDMT1's profile photo
madreDMT1
12/29/2023 5:41 p.m.

Madre de adolescente DM1 (nacido en 2008), con DM1 desde 17/11/2023
Abasaglar 19
80-150 Raciones HC/día, dependiendo mucho de los planes y del deporte.
Sensor FreeStyle Libre 3
Madrid

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
12/29/2023 6:47 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I am moved by Reading Mature1, but you have to encourage and continue helping him because I think the principle is the "worst."Surely everything will improve as you learn and get good control, which with the data you give is wonderful, congratulations.

Many moods, and Merry Christmas and New Year !!!

joelsa's profile photo
joelsa
12/29/2023 8 p.m.

Well, you have made a fabulous summary.I think that no poorly controlled diabetes, you carry it great !!!
I point you in a lifetime nougat, hard and soft is the only thing that is controlled.The panettone, dusts, mazapanes, flavors of flavors, etc. a horror.
With red and fat meats, better insulin at the end to avoid hypo.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/29/2023 8:55 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Thanks a lot!!
I sign up for insulin at the end of fatty meats.
And less bad about the nougat, the classics are the only ones they like.

madreDMT1
12/29/2023 9 p.m.

Abasaglar 19
Sensor FreeStyle Libre 3
Madrid

Well, 91% is great!You are doing very well!In addition, the worst is now at the beginning, once the concepts are settled, the rest is shot, I have been 3 months and the thing improves once the initial confusion passed.A hug!

JRIuris's profile photo
JRIuris
12/29/2023 10:36 p.m.

DT 1 desde septiembre de 2023
Glic a debut: 14.
Glic en 2024: 5,6
Toujeo 16 Uds
Novorapid 3/4/3

Madredmt1 said:
Reflections of the first Christmas with a DM1 son.

I share them in case someone wants to give me some advice or add some.

I have the feeling of doing it or bad or very bad.It is true that 6 weeks after the diagnosis my son already has a time in a range of 91% and it seems that we are controlling it a bit (especially since my son is great, and his father even more, I really really).

But this is much more complicated than one thinks.The problem is not to prick or not (that also), but the damn curve and the eighty circumstances that vary it.I have read someone very reasonable mentioning the full moon and its impact.

A few weeks ago I would have said, what nonsense has said.Now I have noted it, because it doesn't even miss me.

Christmas, and the family/friends, do not always help:

1) The family is comprehensive ... to one point.There is a lot of ignorance about what exactly diabetes is and it is difficult to explain - without offending - that to sitting half a nougat is crazy for a diabetic, but it is not good for a non -diabetic.

2) Everyone thinks, especially if you don't know.This reminds me of when my son and I was born with breastfeeding demand.Every living bug, would have breastfeeding, had his opinion.Well here the same.We have heard everything, in particular "well, it is not so much. Total is to puncture and point."

3) When you travel, in many places the options of eating something that does not totally unruck the curve are greatly reduced.Concrete gas stations are deserted of food.

4) The nougat with almond is more controllable than it seemed.Suchard with inflated rice is evil.The polvorones go up late and it is convenient only if you are going to give a walk.Candeal white bread glued a deadly climb as soon as you turn.

5) It is difficult (as a mother) to maintain the virtuous balance of accompanying and encouraging your diabetic son, of which I cannot be more proud (hopefully I could change for him and fit the DM1, but that is another story), and to theonce maintain a certain alert with the heavy relative who says, well, but nothing happens because it eats [add whatever you have not measured]

6) The easiest way to spend good night, and avoid both hypos and hyper, is a dinner with less hydrates and, where appropriate, his glass of milk at 12 or 1am.

7) Fat meats (Iberian secret, red meat) go up late and at night they hit you.

8) A sensor teenager who does a lot of sport must wear his patchecito, because at the minimum of several days sweating, he falls.And it does not fall when it comes well to you.It falls at 4 in the morning in a hotel in the middle of the mountain.

Greetings!

Well, several conclusions of what you write.
First that you take it great for so little time.You are not going to have trouble controlling because in 6 weeks you already do.Congratulations.That does not mean that rare gusts will come but it happens to us all.
Another, that no one must pay attention.People speak without knowing.Everything happened to me.A non -diabetic does not understand that you can't drink a normal cola and then take black chocolate.It is inculture.Perhaps we before having contact with diabetes would have thought the same.No case.
Yes to the patch.In my case not for sweat but I hooked with the corners ...
Indeed almond (nougat) is more controllable than things that are pure glucose.
And the fats go up late.
Maybe you have learned in weeks what others have cost us months.I reiterate my congratulations.
Much encouragement that everything is going well.
Ah, and other posts ... sport is fundamental

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
12/29/2023 10:47 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Hi @Madredmt1
I share your word reflections for word.
1 and 2 people's ignorance.Do not take it as personal, they have the immense luck of having a functional pancreas and their comments are not usually malicious.Do not bother to give them details, they are not interested in even finding out what you tell them.
3. In the gas stations, I suppose you mean the store.You can only take nuts, hopefully some ham or cheese.If it is the bar, I opt for the tortilla skewer, going from bread.
4. The nor idea nor dors, I try to avoid them
5. As a mother, I thank you for having diabetes and I hope you never touch my children.I put myself in the parents of the parents and it seems to me that it must be very distressing to handle their blind diabetes, at least I feel the sensations and I can make my own decisions.
6. And 7. Indeed, light dinners, without flesh or much sausages or stew.Some calluses gave me a Toledo night.Going out to dinner is more complicated than to eat, because files X of what you eat caught you sleeping and you have no room to take a walk to lower the glucose or have to overcome a hypo in the middle of the night.
7. That the sensor falls is another annoyance, I have addiction to Free information, I am restless to think that I do not have the readings available.
91% in rank is an outstanding one, you are making it phenomenal.Keep in mind that this is changing, the important thing is to know how to adapt to insulin needs variable over time and not get frustrated because it does not get to know what causes the changes.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
12/30/2023 1:07 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Infinite thanks.This forum is the warm stretcher table I needed.
It is not easy when your son is the diabetic, because your instinct asks you to ultraproteger and overwhelm him, when he needs support and joy.

madreDMT1
12/30/2023 2:42 a.m.

Abasaglar 19
Sensor FreeStyle Libre 3
Madrid

@Madredmt1, congratulations for that great control that you carry, when it starts well, it is already a guarantee to always continue well.
Do not get obsessed with the sensor, sometimes I think that the parents of before, that we had no sensor, we lived quieter than those now, although we also distressed a lot while my daughter was little.
Give your child a lot of tranquility, who is many years ahead to expect better and better treatments.This is advancing a lot in recent years.
And be calm you too.
My daughter started with 5 years, she is now 35, she is an architect and her greatest passion is painting.The eyes are still perfect and the analytics too, with glycos of 6 or 6 with something.
You can make a very normal life.
The truth is that she is happy with her life.
A hug!

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/30/2023 6:34 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

regina said:
@Madredmt1, congratulations on that great control that you carry, when it starts well, it is already a guarantee to always continue well.
Do not get obsessed with the sensor, sometimes I think that the parents of before, that we had no sensor, we lived quieter than those now, although we also distressed a lot while my daughter was little.
Give your child a lot of tranquility, who is many years ahead to expect better and better treatments.This is advancing a lot in recent years.
And be calm you too.
My daughter started with 5 years, she is now 35, she is an architect and her greatest passion is painting.The eyes are still perfect and the analytics too, with glycos of 6 or 6 with something.
You can make a very normal life.
The truth is that she is happy with her life.
A hug!

Regina thank you very much for this message.It really encourages me a lot.It is true that the sensor is a double -edged sword.With more advantages than inconveniences, of course.But those who arrive new, as we know nothing else, because we go a little crazy.
I really appreciate your words.I think we have been very lucky, because Fer, our debuting son in DM1, is 15 years old and is punched and managed alone.I can't imagine what you had to happen with a 5 -year -old girl, I send you a solidarity hug.And thanks again.

madreDMT1
12/30/2023 2:28 p.m.

Abasaglar 19
Sensor FreeStyle Libre 3
Madrid

Congratulations on your achievements !!!I have been three years and I still don't know anything.As for the full moon, I am still checking, but I think the blood glucose rises although it is a coincidence or that I am going crazy.A hug

luchi's profile photo
luchi
01/05/2024 12:56 p.m.

@Madredmt1 good summary hehe.

Personally and after 22 years being DT1.

People still find out what really entails and they take away importance to "total is a day" when you behind you are thinking ... if I do it hours of being in hyper sustained and I don't feel like it.

You get used to that the whims are not and prevails being calm without scares, to be with Russian mountains for something that you don't even remember when it was the last time you ate it.

Socializing normally is complex (above all speaking of foods on the street) many variables and you accept that this day control is not perfect, but the perfect does not exist so that it should not be overwhelmed.

That the patch is taken off if ... I use strips of kinesiology and I solve it like this but also think that thanks to the technology and social security we have, we have a measurement that a few years ago did not exist I have been blind 20 yearsWith capillaries ... getting up at night sweating already in 50 and sweeping half refrigerator.

So, little by little the experience will give you peace of mind ...

Always think that we have to have life and that we have to control but without overwhelming because we lose quality of life, both you and your mother and your father.

That this fear of possible adverse effects comes due to a bad control sustained for a long period of time ... getting 1 day out of good control, nothing happens, there is either to be scared.

And that technology progresses by leaps and bounds and has a good focus on diabetes, but they take cure the technology will make control increasingly suppose less mental wear so mood.

On the other hand, as you have mentioned the theme of fatty meats .. It is a great forgotten and with good impact on glycemia, I recommend that you look for information about the UGP (protein fat unit) where you will see how not only hydrates alter blood glucosebut also fat and protein after 3-4h they can also have an impact.

marine's profile photo
marine
01/09/2024 1:47 p.m.

Thank you very much Marine for everything you tell me.It is a leer therapy.Sometimes everything scares me, and in particular I am afraid to put the leg as a mother.Overwhelm my son too much, or not overwhelm him and something happens to him.It is difficult to find the virtuous midpoint.
I also thought, just diagnosed my son, which total would be punctured and period.So I should understand ignorance.
I also see that this has improved substantially, that those who have been much more difficult for years, that is, in the background we have been lucky, because a diagnosis of DMT1 in 2023 is not even similar to one in the year 2000, let's not say in the70s or 80.
Anyway, thanks.

marine said:

People still find out what really entails and they take away importance to "total is a day" when you behind you are thinking ... if I do it hours of being in hyper sustained and I don't feel like it.

You get used to that the whims are not and prevails being calm without scares, to be with Russian mountains for something that you don't even remember when it was the last time you ate it.

Socializing normally is complex (above all speaking of foods on the street) many variables and you accept that this day control is not perfect, but the perfect does not exist so that it should not be overwhelmed.

That the patch is taken off if ... I use strips of kinesiology and I solve it like this but also think that thanks to the technology and social security we have, we have a measurement that a few years ago did not exist I have been blind 20 yearsWith capillaries ... getting up at night sweating already in 50 and sweeping half refrigerator.

Always think that we have to have life and that we have to control but without overwhelming because we lose quality of life, both you and your mother and your father.

That this fear of possible adverse effects comes due to a bad control sustained for a long period of time ... getting 1 day out of good control, nothing happens, there is either to be scared.

And that technology progresses by leaps and bounds and has a good focus on diabetes, but they take cure the technology will make control increasingly suppose less mental wear so mood.

On the other hand, as you have mentioned the theme of fatty meats .. It is a great forgotten and with good impact on glycemia, I recommend that you look for information about the UGP (protein fat unit) where you will see how not only hydrates alter blood glucosebut also fat and protein after 3-4h they can also have an impact.

madreDMT1
01/09/2024 9:21 p.m.

Abasaglar 19
Sensor FreeStyle Libre 3
Madrid

Madredmt1 said:
Thank you very much marine for everything you tell me.It is a leer therapy.Sometimes everything scares me, and in particular I am afraid to put the leg as a mother.Overwhelm my son too much, or not overwhelm him and something happens to him.It is difficult to find the virtuous midpoint.
I also thought, just diagnosed my son, which total would be punctured and period.So I should understand ignorance.
I also see that this has improved substantially, that those who have been much more difficult for years, that is, in the background we have been lucky, because a diagnosis of DMT1 in 2023 is not even similar to one in the year 2000, let's not say in the70s or 80.
Anyway, thanks.

marine said:

No, I debuted el.82 and you can't get an idea ...

meginer's profile photo
meginer
01/10/2024 7:17 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.