The fear of hypos conditions everything

Mikel01's profile photo   11/28/2023 9:18 a.m.

Good morning,
Surely there is no easy solution, but I look for some advice from someone who has gone through something similar or knows how to help me.

I have been with diabetes in my backpack for more than 16 years (Type 1) and the first years was not bad, but for a while this part, and following a couple of scares (without losing knowledge), I took panicto hypoglycemia. This has made it calmer in 200 than in 90, you know.

It goes without saying that I use free and I have the XDRIP with all possible alarms.But for a couple of years for here, I am clicking after meals (unless it is very high).This makes you always make a peak at all meals even though the postpandrial is fine.Instead of 120 (I have more maneuvering margin, of course).

That is, if for whatever I have not calculated well (or you know what other factor comes into play that day) and I see that it starts to go down half an hour to prick (still missing the top effect of the apidra thatIt is about the time) but I am in 250, anxiety is controllable;As something else and ready.But if it were in 120 and the graph shows a trend down and the maximum effect of insulin is still missing, I shit alive.

I have spoken with a couple of different endocrine and we tried to reason about the insulin curves and the speed of absorption of hydrates, but it is impossible for me to manage that fear and it is hard for me to prick before the food to avoid the beak.

For the rest, I think I understand everything related to rations well, I tell everything well (not always, of course) and lead an orderly life and I do not deprive myself, but the fear of hypos conditions my life yes or yes.
In spite of everything, my last Hemo was 6.8, which is far from being ideal but it is not the disaster that one might expect to see that conditioning the hypos about me have.(Hypos that I almost never have, of course, that's the fucking: D)

Does anyone have any advice?Any explanation about the absorption of meals that helps me take out fear?Someone who tells me that if I take a cocacola no matter how much insulin lacks to reach its peak, that the cocacola prevails: D (this is what I did not know to say the endors:/).

Thank you so much!

Mikel01's profile photo
Mikel01
11/28/2023 9:18 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Mikel01. The first thing you should know is that all diabetics fear hypoglycemia.But if you know how to act are easy to solve.The most difficult thing is to keep calm and not stick a binge when you are low because the brain is in an emergency plan and tells us: "fast, eat, ..."
I leave this publication by Serafín Murillo that is very clear.
Link

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
11/28/2023 9:43 a.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

@Mikel01.As you say everything is a matter of head and keep it cold ... you have to be very clear that when you eat low it is because you have quickly fret , you have to get off the ratio.I have had a few weeks that in the food at 30 minutes of injecting I went down ... I ate half a small croissant or 1/4 of glucose pill (and generally) stabilized and climbed without passing, then I could beWith active insulin 2.5h that no longer went down again ... Last week I lowered the ratio, I tried a couple of days and as this happened to me again another point ... and voilage!I have been waiting for 10 minutes for a week and a half, I start to eat and it does not happen to me ... I do not go down and I keep the 3 hours around 110-155;I have found the ratio I needed.
You have to look for your ratio and in seasons play with it, get or go down knitted and try ....
And yes, in my case ... if shortly after eating I went down the downhill I was tracing it quickly with a piece of glucose pill or a capped ... and did not go down again.You have to lose your fear .... I have the ratio adjusted well, now, I am at 95, I inject, as without waiting and I no longer go down .... Men's mood, everything is in the head ....

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
11/28/2023 10:26 a.m.

It is not ideal but maybe you should apply the rapid in two parts.You could put 2/3 of what you think you need for that meal before starting and, at the end of eating or 1 hour after the first puncture, putting you 1/3 remaining.At least the peak would not be so accused.
The hypos are unpleasant and very stressful but very simple to trace, always carry your candies or your glucose pills, which will give you security, put the alarm in 80 and you will have a lot of room for maneuver to act.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
11/28/2023 10:58 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

ricki21 said:
@mikel01. The first thing you should know is that all diabetics fear hypoglycemia.But if you know how to act are easy to solve.The most difficult thing is to keep calm and not stick a binge when you are low because the brain is in an emergency plan and does not say: "fast, eat, ..."
I leave this publication by Serafín Murillo that is very clear.
Link

Thank you ;)
Yes, if I know the theory.In all these years they have given me many dosons, like everyone else, and I have come out airy.But lately those minutes of waiting since you take the gel until you see that glucose starts to climb are endless and very stressful.

Cassie said:
@mikel01.As you say everything is a matter of head and keep it cold ... you have to be very clear that when you eat low it is because you have quickly fret , you have to get off the ratio.I have had a few weeks that in the food at 30 minutes of injecting I went down ... I ate half a small croissant or 1/4 of glucose pill (and generally) stabilized and climbed without passing, then I could beWith active insulin 2.5h that no longer went down again ... Last week I lowered the ratio, I tried a couple of days and as this happened to me again another point ... and voilage!I have been waiting for 10 minutes for a week and a half, I start to eat and it does not happen to me ... I do not go down and I keep the 3 hours around 110-155;I have found the ratio I needed.
You have to look for your ratio and in seasons play with it, get or go down knitted and try ....
And yes, in my case ... if shortly after eating I went down the downhill I was tracing it quickly with a piece of glucose pill or a capped ... and did not go down again.You have to lose your fear .... I have the ratio adjusted well, now, I am at 95, I inject, as without waiting and I no longer go down .... Men's mood, everything is in the head ....

Thank you :)
Yes, the ratio is well because postpondrial is usually good.But that does not mean that one day I calculate badly or between some other factor in play (stress, more exercise, etc.) that makes me punctuate me more insulin.Or the typical - that although there are people who deny it, I see it real 100% - that between insulin in some capillary or something and begin to take effect immediately.Those situations are the ones that scare me, and in reality they occur very occasionally, but they make me do what I do to prick after eating because it gives me more room for maneuver.

salad said:
is not ideal but maybe you should apply the rapid in two parts.You could put 2/3 of what you think you need for that meal before starting and, at the end of eating or 1 hour after the first puncture, putting you 1/3 remaining.At least the peak would not be so accused.
The hypos are unpleasant and very stressful but very simple to trace, it always carries in your pocket your candies or your glucose pills, which will give you security, put the alarm in 80 and you will have a lot of room for maneuver to act.

Thank you ;)
Yeah!I have ever done this, especially when I have prepared something with few hydrates, and there is indeed somewhat less peak.Maybe I should resume this idea and gradually go up the amount I put before until you take confidence.

Mikel01's profile photo
Mikel01
11/28/2023 2:17 p.m.

@Mikel01 How I understand you ... because I have ever tought me overcome and I have had a really bad time ...
In fact, sometimes I have been to get 0.5 less for that fear ... and of course, then to rectify.

What I do, that you will surely do it, is:
I measure glucose:
-What I have "a lot" and on top of how hydrates.I punctuate, I hope like 15-30 'and how.
-What I have "a lot" and not as hydrates, because I punish myself and as followed.
-I'm throwing short and not as hydrates.I puncture in the middle of the food, or in the end ...
-I'm down and like hydrates.Like a little and when I carry about 5-7 'I click ...

This is how it is usually good.But what you say ... there are so many things that condition ... exercise, hormones, strrencies ... if you are pachucho ... and if you click on a capillary ... too.

SilviaGRZ's profile photo
SilviaGRZ
11/28/2023 3:58 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Díabética desde los 4 años. Ahora tengo 37.
Hbg 6'9..

@Mikel01: Try to put on the sensor descent alarm in 80. I have it in 75 and I can act before I am in hypoglycemia.And I have very few and slight

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
11/28/2023 4:18 p.m.

mikel01 said:
good morning,
Surely there is no easy solution, but I look for some advice from someone who has gone through something similar or knows how to help me.

I have been with diabetes in my backpack for more than 16 years (Type 1) and the first years was not bad, but for a while this part, and following a couple of scares (without losing knowledge), I took panicto hypoglycemia. This has made it calmer in 200 than in 90, you know.

It goes without saying that I use free and I have the XDRIP with all possible alarms.But for a couple of years for here, I am clicking after meals (unless it is very high).This makes you always make a peak at all meals even though the postpandrial is fine.Instead of 120 (I have more maneuvering margin, of course).

That is, if for whatever I have not calculated well (or you know what other factor comes into play that day) and I see that it starts to go down half an hour to prick (still missing the top effect of the apidra thatIt is about the time) but I am in 250, anxiety is controllable;As something else and ready.But if it were in 120 and the graph shows a trend down and the maximum effect of insulin is still missing, I shit alive.

I have spoken with a couple of different endocrine and we tried to reason about the insulin curves and the speed of absorption of hydrates, but it is impossible for me to manage that fear and it is hard for me to prick before the food to avoid the beak.

For the rest, I think I understand everything related to rations well, I tell everything well (not always, of course) and lead an orderly life and I do not deprive myself, but the fear of hypos conditions my life yes or yes.
In spite of everything, my last Hemo was 6.8, which is far from being ideal but it is not the disaster that one might expect to see that conditioning the hypos about me have.(Hypos that I almost never have, of course, that's the fucking: D)

Does anyone have any advice?Any explanation about the absorption of meals that helps me take out fear?Someone who tells me that if I take a cocacola no matter how much insulin lacks to reach its peak, that the cocacola prevails: D (this is what I did not know to say the endors:/).

Thank you so much!

Stay calm because you are not the only one, and it is difficult to wear the ballast of the "scares" that make you think here no more ...

Here each one has an experience of a hiccup, but not all are the same or all have the same degree of gravity.

1st important step to avoid scares, use 4mm needles.Part of the problem that you do not block the times is that this insulin does not go subcutaneous and that accelerates the absorption time ... but you know if this is so easy as knowing that if the insulin acts to the 45min and it isGoing down at 20min, something has gone wrong.

1.2 Within this step it is also important that you review the right method to prick sometimes we vitiate and end up doing it wrong.

2nd Adjust the basal insulin well, very important to be clear what your real ratios are, if you go, above all, you are more likely to fall in hypo.

3rd area of ​​the puncture: Take trust using gluteo, it is the site where insulin is most absorbed and so, you get used to clicking when it touches you.

4th since you use a sensor, also get used to and gradually that instead of clicking in 250, click in 200, then in 180 and then in 150.

5th in the feeding topic take into account the fats, this makes it late to absorb hydrates and make the tempos notThe correct ones.
6th patience, it is normal, take it easy.

marine's profile photo
marine
11/28/2023 6:39 p.m.

I always say that the fastest to trace a hypo is a drink with sugar, not gels, candies, or sugar.

When I am fearful or I think it will come down, and I have to go out, I go out with a can of Coca-Cola or similar.And at home I always have the fridge full of all kinds of cancies with sugar for hypos.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
11/28/2023 7:42 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@Mikel01, how slow do you use?With toujeo or threeiba, hypos date back very easily, with half a glass of coca-cola or similar glucose it usually suffers.
And the rapid FIASP has a shorter duration than the Apidra and the peak is adjusted quite well if it starts at the beginning.to eat.
With 4 mm needles do not click on capillaries.
Nothing happens with the hypos, they date back to the new insulins.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/29/2023 2:57 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

silviagrz said:
@mikel01 how I understand you ...

Yes, I have punctured all my life when I started low food, but now I do it even if I am not very high, but it is not usually the case).

ricki21 said:
@mikel01: Try to put on the sensor's descent alarm in 80. I have it in 75 and I can act before I am in hypoglycemia.And I have very few and slight

I have it in 100, with that I tell you everything: Dizzy:

marine said:
stay calm because you are not the only one ...
>

Thanks for the tips.
The truth is that I have always used those of 0.25x5mm because they are the ones that give me in the health center, but you have already recommended several 4mm so I will try.
That the insulin was to a capillary passed very one hundred in wind, but of course, only the possibility wages and conditions me.
On the other hand, my last 2 endocrine have told me that the puncture areas and absorption were increasingly denied, but the truth is that no idea.Years ago I used the buttocks for slow but it worked regularly.Maybe it gives you another tent, thanks :)

sherpa41 said:
I always say that the fastest to trace a hypo is a drink with sugar, not gels, caramelos, nor sugar.

100% agree.At home I use Cocacola because it has always been the fastest for me, but it is true that they are a gain to take to the street.

regina said:
@mikel01, what slow do you use?

I am with Tresiba + Apidra, but following this problem I have recommended FIASP, just to try to reduce those peaks, but I have not tried it yet.The fact that it has a faster effect is a little scary 😅
And yes, I definitely have to try the 4mm.Let's see if they give them to me at the health center or buy them out there.

Mikel01's profile photo
Mikel01
11/29/2023 8:08 a.m.

@Mikel01: If it's not too much to ask, what can you have?And in the glycemic variability, what number does it come out?

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
11/29/2023 11:34 a.m.

ricki21 said:
@mikel01: if it's not too much to ask, what do you have?And in the glycemic variability, what number does it come out?

In rank in recent months I have been 60% of the time (worse in recent weeks) and the variability in 30%

Mikel01's profile photo
Mikel01
11/29/2023 12:11 p.m.

@Mikel01: You are not at all bad but you have to climb that tir, which I suppose you have between 70 and 180. This parameter is very important and it is advisable to have it above 70 to avoid future complications.
Before, glycosylated hemoglobin was given much importance but thanks to the sensors it has been seen that these two parameters, IRR and glycemic variability are essential to achieve good diabetes control.
I have occurred to me two more things that may help you:
1. Will you not be clicking in any area with lipodystrophy?I had lipodystrophies on my thighs, I thought it was cellulite, and insulin did what I wanted when I punctured me in those areas.
2. There are fast insulins that allow you to inject half units to adjust the dose you need when eating.To me a unit of more or less insulin takes me to hip or hyper.On the other hand, with half -adjusting unit and success with corrections if I get out of range.
I hope that all the advice we are giving you help you.Cheer up!

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
11/29/2023 3:10 p.m.

ricki21 said:
@mikel01: you don't go at all bad but you have to climb that tir, which I suppose you have between 70 and 180. This parameter is very important and it is advisable to have it above 70 for 70Avoid future complications.
Before, glycosylated hemoglobin was given much importance but thanks to the sensors it has been seen that these two parameters, IRR and glycemic variability are essential to achieve good diabetes control.
I have occurred to me two more things that may help you:
1. Will you not be clicking in any area with lipodystrophy?I had lipodystrophies on my thighs, I thought it was cellulite, and insulin did what I wanted when I punctured me in those areas.
2. There are fast insulins that allow you to inject half units to adjust the dose you need when eating.To me a unit of more or less insulin takes me to hip or hyper.On the other hand, with half -adjusting unit and success with corrections if I get out of range.
I hope that all the advice we are giving you help you.Courage!

Yes, I have definitely had better times and figures.

An added problem is that I have always had a lot of variability with the basal (formerly Lantus, now Tresiba), and it has always cost me a lot to adjust it;Days pulling under the whole time, others in which the afternoons tends to climb (without being able to blame it for food) ... I have tried different insulins, different areas, different hours ... and I have never had 2 months equal.

This makes you just respect the rapid because the basal variability (I just invented the term, but you already understand me) makes one day "lower" than another.

The half units already proposed it to me but I would say that my problem is another, hopefully get to be able to control everything so soon.

Thanks for the advice;)

Mikel01's profile photo
Mikel01
11/29/2023 5:15 p.m.

This is the life of a diabetic, a few days does not go down and others do not go up ... but there we are day by day we are taking diabetes.
What they have told you to put the alarm at 80, is a very good idea.
It would also be good if you were some coexistence with more diabetic people.There are many people and you will see what what you have is not unusual.It will motivate you a lot.I was and probably, I change my life better.I don't know if today I would be here and well, if I hadn't had all that support.
Lucky companion.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
11/29/2023 5:56 p.m.

juansolo said:
is the life of a diabetic, a few days does not go down and others do not go up ... but there we are day by day we are wearing diabetes.
What they have told you to put the alarm at 80, is a very good idea.
It would also be good if you were some coexistence with more diabetic people.There are many people and you will see what what you have is not unusual.It will motivate you a lot.I was and probably, I change my life better.I don't know if today I would be here and well, if I hadn't had all that support.
Luck companion.

Indeed, every day is a new adventure
Thank you ;)

Mikel01's profile photo
Mikel01
12/01/2023 8:02 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.