{'en': 'How does cold affect the level of blood glucose and diabetes?', 'es': '¿Cómo afecta el frío al nivel de glucosa en sangre y a la diabetes?'} Image

How does cold affect the level of blood glucose and diabetes?

fer's profile photo   01/11/2024 9:50 a.m.

The coldest months of the year as in which we are, they suppose a rebound of certain respiratory diseases, both viral and bacterial, whether they are flu, colds or different types of inflammations.But it has also been shown that winter and cold interact with diabetes.

Various research announce a complicated relationship between cold, diabetes and other diseases, so that some studies endorse that diabetics and prediabetics experience greater cardiorespiratory symptomatology related to cold, than those that do not suffer.In addition, it has been demonstrated that the physiological response of the cold affects blood glucose reactions in the case of diabetics.

Very linked to certain life habits, diabetes, still controlled, has certain pandemic visions within developed countries, for obvious reasons, which have a lot to do with factors that we all know as overweight, poor diet quality orSedentary lifestyle.But there are also patterns that affect, such as having prediabetes or a certain degree of genetics, as well as age.

It is still curious that diabetes and cold have a fairly complex relationship, although logical of understanding, since during the cold months, people with diabetes usually present higher levels in HBA1C, according to one of these studies.These acronyms represent the glycosylated hemoglobin test, very common in diabetics, which is a blood test that measures the average glucose or blood sugar in a certain period of time.

Thus, although it is not clearly endorsed by studies, the cold would cause an obvious stress in the body that affects diabetes, causing various hormonal reactions and the secretion of insulin itself to be linked.

In stress situations, the body produces cortisol to look for an extra energy;And these hormones also reduce insulin reduction, which is the one who helps cells absorb glucose.For this reason, there will be more blood glucose how much less insulin.In addition, this cortisol secretion could also stimulate the liver to release more glucose.

In this way, blood glucose levels are increased, as shown in some studies with mice.On the other hand, studies begin to be known that classify the reality of climate change and how it affects diabetics;and some of them relate both high temperatures and cold with diabetes.In this way, a vicious circle of that stress that could have an impact on the patient's health would be generated.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/11/2024 9:50 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

By adding something else, the cold in neuropathy or polyneuropathy to me feels luxurious, I do not feel in my feet and legs so much numbness and ardors, it is as if I had a feeling of having almost nothing.This last summer that they have said that it has been the hottest in the post industrial era, I have suffered it a lot, fear makes me see how the next years will be ....

Pyrri's profile photo
Pyrri
01/14/2024 2:23 a.m.

Diabetes Tipo 2 (2014) con 38 años - Neuropatía Diabética (2013) - Polineuropatía Diabética sensitiva axonal moderado-grave en miembros inferiores (2021) - Jubilado en 2022 con 45 años. (Synjardy (Mettformina) - Trulicity - Ozempic - Gabapentina). HBA1c: 4,5%. Discapacidad del 35% - Presbicia con 45 años (ya no veo de cerca, pero no hay retinopatía diabética en los ojos). Abuela materna y Abuela paterna e tíos diabéticos tipo 1

Well ... I just contrary ...
Heat affects me disproportionately.

SilviaGRZ's profile photo
SilviaGRZ
01/15/2024 10:29 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Díabética desde los 4 años. Ahora tengo 37.
Hbg 6'9..

In my case, I corroborate it.As an example: in summer 16u of threeiva and winter 20u.And so several seasons.

Arse's profile photo
Arse
01/16/2024 9:21 a.m.

Lada desde 2018. Freestyle Libre 2. Tresiva y Humalog J. Alimentación "low carb".

I also corroborate it, the days I spend cold in my body, I get glucose like the foam, without meaning and instead when I enter into heat if I inject myself to correct it lowers me in a waterfall.
In the summer it also happens to me like @silviagrz I tend to the hypos that gives pleasure and especially if I walk ... however little.

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
01/16/2024 10:03 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I also have to lower up to 4 units the basal in summer with respect to winter.Especially if I am on vacation that I also move more and I have zero stress.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
01/17/2024 12:57 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.