{'en': '11 Sugar dependence symptoms', 'es': '11 síntomas de dependencia del azúcar'} Image

11 Sugar dependence symptoms

fer's profile photo   12/31/2023 6:36 p.m.

Sugar sweeps humanity for almost 5,000 years.It was the Arabs, after invading the regions of the Timgris and the Euphrates, who begin to cultivate the sugar cane in Syria, Egypt, Cyprus, Rodas and North Africa.

After perfecting its prosecuted and refined, its consumption expands through commercial routes and, through the crusades to the Holy Land, it is announced throughout the Christian world.

Spain arrives in the Middle Ages, where it begins to be used as a spice food for perfuming dishes.

Since then, its use, especially in pastries, expands until reaching our days, when it has become a problem for some "addicted" people to this sweet ingredient.

Excessive sugar consumption is related to a series of diseases such as tooth decay, increased demand for vitamins of B, hypertriglyceridemia, overweight, obesity and diabetes mellitus.

In addition, it can trigger chronic inflammatory processes in the body, which is associated with heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer.

Some studies that suggest that excessive sugar consumption can affect memory and formation of new neurons, and has also been associated with a greater risk of neurodegenerative disorders.

The average annual consumption of sugar in Spain is more than three kilograms per person, a figure that experts consider too high, since it can have negative health consequences, according to the data provided by Nutitienda.

Sugar dependence is not the same for each people, but most of the "addicts" share some symptoms that allow to suspect that there is an addiction.

These are some of the alert signals:

- Intense cravings.People with sugar addiction usually experience an irresistible need to consume sweet foods, regardless of real hunger they have.

- Excessive consumption.Loss of control over the amount of sugar consumed, which leads to eat large amounts of sweet foods.

- Emotional dependence.The use of sugar is used as a way of dealing with stress, anxiety or other negative emotions, establishing an emotional connection between consumption and well -being itself.

- Need for regular consumption.Addicts tend to consume sugar on a regular basis to maintain their energy levels or simply to feel good, creating a constant pattern of ingestion.

- Difficulty in reducing consumption.Problems to reduce or eliminate sugar consumption are experienced, even when you are aware of its negative health effects.

- Symptoms of abstinence.Experience physical or emotional symptoms when the consumption of sugar is reduced or eliminated, such as irritability, headaches, fatigue or humor changes.

- Continuous search for pleasure.Sugar addicts are looking for sweet foods to experience the pleasant sensation that is associated with the release of dopamine in the brain.

- Increased tolerance.There is a need to consume increasing amounts of sugar to obtain the same level of satisfaction.

- Persistent thoughts.Addicts have recurring thoughts about sugar and experience pleasure in the planning of their consumption, which can interfere with daily activities.

- Feelings of guilt or regrets.It is quite common to face negative feelings after consuming large amounts of sugar, followed by the promise of a reduction in future consumption that is difficult to meet.

- Impact on everyday life.Sugar addiction can negatively affect the quality of life, since it causes physical and emotional health problems.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/31/2023 6:36 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thank you!
How interesting everything you share: Smile:

Fercomi's profile photo
Fercomi
01/01/2024 11:04 a.m.

Gracias,
Un saludo.

I am clearly an addict, but in abstinence;)

Crash's profile photo
Crash
01/03/2024 8:46 p.m.

DM2 diagnosticada 10/11/23, hipotiroidismo, obesidad y algunas otras tonterías :# Actualmente tomando 2 comprimidos de Metformina 850 mg. Eutirox 75. Simvastatina 20 mg. Obesidad tipo II.

My brother is addicted, many times 2 donuts are eaten and he tells me, I'm not hungry is to satisfy the vice or take 1 coca cola just for sugar, I am very sweet but obviously I am in abstinence hehe, apart from my brother is obeseAnd I'm thin

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
01/04/2024 11:21 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

My brother is addicted, many times 2 donuts are eaten and he tells me, I'm not hungry is to satisfy the vice or take 1 coca cola just for sugar, I am very sweet but obviously I am in abstinence hehe, apart from my brother is obeseAnd I'm thin

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
01/04/2024 11:30 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

rogerix said:
my brother is addicted, many times 2 donuts are eaten and tells me, I am not hungry is to satisfy the vice or take 1 coca cola just for sugar, I am veryGoloso but obviously I am in abstinence hehe, apart from my brother is obese and I am thin

What I usually do in this last stage when I wear sweets is a chocolate at the cup but from the house value 0% sugar.A cup of milk, a little sweetener and two tablespoons of that cocoa.The mana!

Crash's profile photo
Crash
01/04/2024 4:03 p.m.

DM2 diagnosticada 10/11/23, hipotiroidismo, obesidad y algunas otras tonterías :# Actualmente tomando 2 comprimidos de Metformina 850 mg. Eutirox 75. Simvastatina 20 mg. Obesidad tipo II.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.