Hypoglycemia without pricking insulin

JBF's profile photo   02/18/2024 10:53 p.m.

Good night.

My son debuted 3 months ago with type 1 diabetes. He arrived with a glucose of 285 and ketoacidosis of 0.9.

It started with a basal solostar insulin treatment of 19 units and FIASP, 1 unit by ration.

It has been reduced little by little because they gave him hypoglycemia between meals and at night, and was entering the honeymoon phase.

These last weeks have been adjusted to 1 basal unit and for meals: 0.3 units at breakfast, 0.5 at dinner per ration.

If you only consume 2 or 3 rations of carbohydrates, it is not injected.

And these last days, the basal has not been injected in 48 hours, nor the rapid Fiasp from yesterday's food, 24 hours ago.

However, he has had a hypoglycemia this afternoon of 56, with some symptoms.

It has had to take Coca-Cola and glucose.

How is it possible that you have hypoglycemia without injecting, without doing sports or taking other medications?

In the honeymoon phase, I think it is good to administer some basal insulin, but how do I do it if a unit has hypoglycemia?

I take the opportunity to thank all the forum participants because you learn a lot about diabetes.

It is a great help in these difficult times.

Thank you!

JBF's profile photo
JBF
02/18/2024 10:53 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

With the honeymoon, insulin may not be needed depending on the pancreatic reserve that is available (peptide C measures this).
Basal insulin lasts more than 24 hours according to each one, so, even if you did not put more insulin, it gave it a low.
With the honeymoon there are variations, observacioñ and what the pediatrician tells you.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
02/18/2024 11:09 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

ruthbia said:
with the honeymoon may not be insulin based on the pancreatic reserve that is available (peptide C measures this).
Basal insulin lasts more than 24 hours according to each one, so, even if you did not put more insulin, it gave it a low.
With the honeymoon there are variations, observacioñ and what the pediatrician tells you.

Thank you, for responding to the comment, in the first analysis it gave 1.5 peptic c ..

JBF's profile photo
JBF
02/19/2024 9:48 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well, it still has a reservation, with 1.13 last year and a half without rapid insulin.Only slow and very few units.
Diabetes is proof and error, and every day is different.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
02/19/2024 10:16 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.