{'en': 'Use paper to measure glucose', 'es': 'Usar papel para medir la glucosa'} Image

Use paper to measure glucose

fer's profile photo   04/15/2024 10:55 a.m.

Researchers at the Indian Institute of Jodhpur Technology have developed a blood glucose measurement device based on paper technology, which is not only economical, but also incredibly accessible and easy to use.

This new device can be used from the comfort of our home and has a production cost of just 11 cents per unit, which in euros is less than a tenth of cent.What makes it even more impressive is its ability to connect to a mobile phone through an application, providing instantaneous results without the need for sophisticated laboratories or equipment.

Technology, known as PAD (Paper-Based Analytical Devices), works so that the functionalized biodegradable paper changes color according to the quantity and glucose level present in a blood sample.This, together with automatic learning algorithms, allows the device to work correctly under various lighting conditions, and that it is compatible with many mobile phone models.

In addition to measuring glucose, this device has the potential to adapt to detect other health conditions such as uric acid and lactate levels, which could revolutionize not only how we manage our diabetes, but also how we could monitor other chronic diseases from home.

What this means for us as a community is greater autonomy and ease in the management of our health, at a very small cost.It is a clear example of how technology can continue to improve our lives, especially when it comes to managing chronic health conditions such as diabetes.

Although this type of glucose strips could not compete with the modern continuous glucose (MCG) meters, they could be a good substitute for current reactive strips, drastically lowering their cost and making the control of diabetes even more accessible in countries in countrieswhere material and economic resources are scarce.

It seems like a good advance for diabetes globally, what do you think of you?

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
04/15/2024 10:55 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

11 cents?

To me the strips cost me 7 cents at Amazon 200tras/€ 30 = 6,666

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/15/2024 11:17 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Watch the news does not seem so important, of course for other countries that throwing reactives do not arrive, but I doubt that if the strips do not arrive this new discovery, which would be an important issue is that they could access theadvances that there are already, such with continuous reading, that this is important to control us diabetes.Well to wait for new things to facilitate the control of this disease

Algameca's profile photo
Algameca
04/15/2024 11:46 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Sherpa41 I clarified that being a study done at the Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur (IIT) of India, the costs are expressed in rupias, that is, that the 11 cents of rupees would be 0.0012 euros, that is, almost aTenth part of 1 penny of euro!

I leave here the link to the original article in case you want to read in detail.

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
04/15/2024 4:03 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

fer said:
@sherpa41 clarified that being a study made in the Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur (iit) of India, the costs are expressed in rupias, that is, that the 11 centsRupias would be 0.0012 euros, that is, almost a tenth of 1 centimo of euro!

I leave here the link to the original article in case you want to read in detail.

Link

Well, in your initial post put "11 cents".🤷‍♂️

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/15/2024 4:18 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I update the post, it has escaped me !!Thanks @Sherpa41!

fer's profile photo
fer
04/15/2024 4:22 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.