{'en': 'Two brothers have a unique key mutation to cure diabetes 1', 'es': 'Dos hermanos tienen una mutación única clave para curar la diabetes 1'} Image

Two brothers have a unique key mutation to cure diabetes 1

fer's profile photo   04/19/2024 10:05 a.m.

I share a recent advance in the investigation of type 1 diabetes, and I think it could be a great step towards a future without the constant punctures of insulin that we know so many.

It turns out that two brothers have been identified as carriers of a unique mutation in the PD-L1 gene.This discovery, made in a Rild laboratory under the supervision of Rafael Ibarra, could be key to the development of new more effective treatments against type 1 diabetes.

These brothers, whose immune systems seem "normally" despite the mutation, can be the piece that was missing to better understand how to prevent this autoimmune aggression.

The team of researchers, including Matthew Johnson from the University of Exeter and Timothy Tree of the King's College in London, have stressed that this finding is a jump in knowledge about autoimmune diabetes and opens the possibility of exploring innovative treatments similar to immunotherapyused in cancer.

Imagine a world where we can selectively block the harmful actions of our immune system without affecting your ability to protect ourselves.We are talking about a paradigm shift, not only in the treatment of diabetes but in our quality of life.

I know that the paths of science are complex and that each advance requires its time to materialize in real treatments, so I take this news with all possible prudence and objectivity, it is a more potential route, but I do not think it arrivesTo be reality up to many years.

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
04/19/2024 10:05 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.