Use the vegan diet to improve the control of type 1 diabetes?

fer's profile photo   04/06/2024 9:19 a.m.

A recent study carried out by the Physician Committee for a responsible medicine in the United States has revealed that a vegan diet low in fat, rich in fruits, vegetables, cereals and beans, not only reduces insulin needs, but also improvesSensitivity to insulin and glycemic control in people with type 1 diabetes.

This research, published in the magazine 'Clinical Diabetes', is the first randomized clinical trial that examines the effects of a vegan diet on people with type 1 diabetes. The results are promising: those who followed a low vegan diet in fat needed a 28% less insulin and saw an impressive 127% improvement in insulin sensitivity compared to those who followed a portion control diet.

In addition to the benefits in insulin management and sensitivity to it, the study also reported significant improvements in other health indicators.For example, body weight decreased an average of almost 5 kilos in the Vegan Group.In addition, this group experienced significant reductions in total and LDL cholesterol levels, known as "bad" cholesterol, which is especially important since type 1 diabetes is associated with a higher risk of cardiovascular disease and death.

The importance of these findings lies not only in the improvement of diabetes control and the reduction of insulin dependence, but also in the potential to reduce cardiovascular risk.According to the study, the vegan diet could translate into a reduction in the risk of important cardiac events, including heart attacks and strokes.

With approximately 40,000 new cases of type 1 diabetes diagnosed each year and a projected increase of up to 107% in the prevalence of this condition by 2040, the search for effective strategies for its management is more crucial than ever.In addition, the growing cost of insulin and diabetes monitoring equipment make alternatives such as vegan diet in fats even more attractive.

This study not only highlights the importance of considering our food as part of the management of type 1 diabetes, but also offers hope for those who seek to improve their quality of life through changes in lifestyle.Of course, any change in the diet must be discussed and carefully planned with a health professional.

I hope this information inspires you and offers new perspectives on how to handle type 1 diabetes effectively.Remember, you are in the driver's seat when it comes to your health.Let's keep supporting each other on this trip to a healthier life!

What do you think about this study?

Has anyone experienced similar changes in adopting a vegan diet?

Share your experiences and questions below!

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
04/06/2024 9:19 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I don't know ... Diet rich in fruits, cereals ... decreases insulin needs?
That the weight decreases, lower cholesterol ... I understand it.
That weight loss decreases insulin needs, I understand.
But for those who are well weighing in my flesh is that cereals and fruits, guaranteed rise.
That is why I believe that these articles should be more concrete, indicating food and quantities, before saying so "in the air" that a diet rich in these foods reduces glucose.
That the Vegan group has been able to eat like a little bird and the other swell and clear, with little amount of food there is better blood glucose control, that is logical.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
04/06/2024 11:10 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

What I have proven in my meats and there are more and more studies in this regard and more endocrine in the SS that support it, it is a low diet in HC, no more than 100 g per day and that those HC come fundamentally from the vegetables,Red fruits and legumes (the latter in moderation, to me the lentils do not upload me just but the chickpeas do), they help a lot to the glycemic control, they lower the needs of insulin with the consequent loss of visceral and body fat and much less hyper and hypossince there is much less margin of error being small amounts and also being tolerated and that do not produce an important peak.
In addition, what I see is that you have been more or less prolonged in the range and very stable, like the body is used and it is easierNe costs a lot to return to good control, it is as if there was a lot of insulin resistance.
Not to eat meat or fish, there.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
04/06/2024 11:24 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Isabelbota said:
That's why I think those articles should be more concrete, indicating food and quantities, before saying so "in the air" that a diet rich in these foods reduces glucose.
That the vegan group has been able to eat like a little bird and the other swell and of course, with little amount of food there is better blood glucose control, that is logical.

Hello, I have read the original article and specify the diet followed and eye, the patients of the intervention group (low vegan diet) and those of the control group (portions diet) ingested the same calories, did the same physical exercise andIn the vegan diet, carbohydrate intake was higher.

I leave the link to the original article:

Link

pau91's profile photo
pau91
04/07/2024 2:16 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.