{'en': 'Muscle mass, glucose and diabetes', 'es': 'La masa muscular, la glucosa y la diabetes'} Image

Muscle mass, glucose and diabetes

fer's profile photo   04/17/2024 6:17 p.m.

Regular physical exercise has been revealed as a valuable ally in the control of diabetes.Studies have shown that staying active helps stabilize glucose levels and helps prevent complications at the micro and macrovascular level, that is, damage to small and large blood vessels.

The exercise not only has long -term benefits, but also offers immediate effects.After a single session, there is an improvement in the collection of glucose by the muscles, which can last up to 48 hours.This effect is particularly beneficial for people with diabetes mellitus, since it improves insulin sensitivity.

aerobic or anaerobic exercise?

The aerobic exercise, such as walking, swimming or rising, has been traditionally recommended for people with diabetes mellitus.This type of exercise improves cardiovascular capacity and contributes to oxidation of fats.

On the other hand, anaerobic exercise, which includes activities such as weightlifting, also has significant benefits.Not only does it improve muscle strength and resistance, but it also helps develop muscle mass, which can be especially beneficial for people with diabetes.

This is because a greater muscle means a greater capacity to capture glucose and greater efficiency in glycemic control.That is why the combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercises offers the greatest benefit.

our body as a glucose warehouse

In our body, we have different places where carbohydrates that become glucose are stored.Depending on muscle mass, the muscles could be the largest glycogen warehouse in the body.Knowing this, we could do the link towards: "The more muscle, better diabetes control."

In the body, we have different places where carbohydrates that become glucose are stored.

- Brain: In astrocytes (star neurons) an amount (which is not known precisely) is stored but helps us to the functioning of this organ.
- Riñones: It is in a minimum amount.
- Liver: It has the ability to store glycogen, which is a compound that is used as an energy reserve.
- Muscles: Depending on muscle mass, it could be the largest glycogen warehouse in the body.
- Blood and white blood cells: This can vary as metabolic functioning and/or carbohydrate intake.

Now that we already know how physical activity, focused on the development of muscle mass, contributes to the control of diabetes, is time to put ourselves into action.

The accurate recommendation for people with diabetes is to perform 150 min of aerobic exercise and, in the absence of contraindications, resistance exercise/weights 3 times per week.

In this way you will achieve significant glucose regulation, you will improve insulin sensitivity, weight control and complications prevention.

Remember to stay active and try to make an adequate combination of exercises.

I hope this post has been useful.Do not hesitate to share your experiences and advice in the comments!

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
04/17/2024 6:17 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Although I do strength exercises one day a week, I do not notice, I lack muscle mass

Vero83's profile photo
Vero83
04/18/2024 9:21 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

150 minutes a day?

Joan111's profile photo
Joan111
04/19/2024 3:48 p.m.

@Joan111: 150 minutes weekly distributed in 3 days

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
04/19/2024 4:10 p.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

The Més that comes will bicycle

Joan111's profile photo
Joan111
04/28/2024 10:43 p.m.

The bicycle is cardio and resistance, does not increase muscle mass.How are cyclists?Very thin, they have little muscle mass.
It's okay to bicycle if you like and enjoy it, but really beneficial exercise for us is the exercise of strength.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
04/28/2024 11:10 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

salad said:
The bicycle is cardio and resistance, does not increase muscle mass.How are cyclists?Very thin, they have little muscle mass.
It's okay to do bicycle if you like and enjoy it, but really beneficial exercise for us is the exercise of force.

If you make muscle in the twins.They are thin but have never been obese.I mean that as an exercise to lose weight I do not notice.In the muscle mass of the legs if

Joan111's profile photo
Joan111
04/28/2024 11:17 p.m.

salad said:
It's okay to do bicycle if you like and enjoy it, but really beneficial exercise for us is the exercise of force.

Hello, the exercise of force what happens to me is that then the sugar has me, I must put insulin as soon as

Vero83's profile photo
Vero83
04/29/2024 9:39 a.m.

With the bike the abdomen and leg muscles grow, the largest that consume more carbohydrates.
Then you have to do some weights for arms.
The best is 3 days of strength exercises and 2 aerobic days, or more if you like it ... I hate it.Sport is not mine.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/29/2024 8:04 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

vero83 said:
salad said:

Hello, to me the exercise of force what happens to me is that then the sugar has me, I must put insulin as soon as

If you still have strength, finish the training with bike, elliptical or a walk.So you save that puncture.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
04/29/2024 11:09 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

As much as I do, I'm not going to get (neither from far or up close) like the one in the start photo of the post ... b) b)

Arse's profile photo
Arse
05/01/2024 8:16 p.m.

Lada desde 2018. Freestyle Libre 2. Tresiva y Humalog J. Alimentación "low carb".

What happens to me is that ex force is bored sovereignly, I try to do something because it is good but it is very boring.
If I want to carry an almost daily ej routine, I have to do something that motivates me, if not, you always look for an excuse, or I am tired, or it is raining, or is hot ... that's why I have been in gym for many years, there areActivities directed with music and I like and I want and it does not weigh me.But to make the truth strength, I am not motivated to make the effort to move to the gym ... I try to do weights at home, squats, abdominals, flexions ... I wear music and I do it, but it bores me a lot.
I don't know how you do to motivate you.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
05/05/2024 12:07 p.m.

Well, to motivate myself .... I use my head and I encourage myself hehe.I send me positive messages before the mirror ..... and especially for how I feel later.

I am not very athlete.I walk a lot, I live in a duplex so I go up and low stairs several times a day and for more than 6 years I am 2 days a week to Chikung classes.Well, before it was Chikung, now it is a chikung mix, strength training, some animal flow, stretching, torsions ....

Sometimes I get my knees tremble but with full energy.

Thanks for all the initial indications.Exercise undoubtedly, in addition to making us feel better, helping to reduce insulin resistance and therefore need less help to be more positive, have the clearest mind ....

I began to read a book that is titled "Balances your glucose (Ismael Galacho) paints well

inmuchi_77's profile photo
inmuchi_77
05/07/2024 1:29 p.m.

31 años con DT1!!
Toujeo / FIASP y dieta baja en CH
Viva la vida <3

Exercise ... buf ... I don't like anything.
I usually do when my glucose is triggered to try to lower the levels but it is something that I have been wrong.Luckily I am to walk a lot although lately I do not do it much.Maybe that's why I am as I am.Before I hit me good walks.

Sara10's profile photo
Sara10
05/07/2024 4:27 p.m.

I see the exercise fundamental, be the Que, I notice much of what I do and cdo no, not so much for the control (many times you have to square things more and it is more complicated if you do that if you do not do), but becauseInsulin resistance is greatly reduced and you lose a lot of fat apart from exercising the cardiovascular system, balancing blood pressure, lipid profile and endless benefits that we all already know.
But if not much, it is best to do something that is fun and motivating to be more or less constant.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
05/07/2024 4:58 p.m.

Well, from the pandemic, I fond of YouTube, and there are several types that do exercise routines.
And I assure you that you sweat what you want.
I am doing at the same time and you are chopped with them, flexions, jumps, "abobinable" :)
It seems entertaining

Manolosr's profile photo
Manolosr
05/15/2024 11:28 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.