{'en': 'The impact of summer heat on diabetes', 'es': 'El impacto del calor estival en la diabetes'} Image

The impact of summer heat on diabetes

fer's profile photo   05/21/2024 11:12 a.m.

When summer and heat approach the people we have diabetes we know that we have to make some changes and the changes, for us, they always mean an impact on glucose control.Here is my personal experience and how I face the challenges that the warm climate presents:

The impact of heat on my diabetes

Summer has always been a time of the year I enjoy, but since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I had to learn to adapt to high temperatures in a way that protects my health.Heat not only increases my risk of hypoglycemia and dehydration, but also affects the way my body uses insulin.

Conscious Hydration and Food

I have learned that staying hydrated is basic.As I aged, my feeling of thirst is not as strong as it used to be, so I make sure you drink water regularly, even if I am not thirsty.In addition, I try to maintain my balanced eating habits and avoid excess foods and alcoholic beverages that can destabilize my glucose levels.

Personal exercise and care

Exercise is an essential part of my daily routine, but during the summer, I change my schedules to avoid direct sun and extreme heat.I also pay special attention to my feet, wearing adequate footwear and maintaining good hygiene to prevent wounds or complications.

Medication management

As an insulin user, I am very careful with the storage of my medication.I keep it away from the sun and in a cool place to ensure its effectiveness.When I travel, I carry extra doses just in case, and I always have an emergency plan.

Medical consultations and checks

Before I go on vacation, I visit my doctor for a general check -up and to adjust my treatment if necessary.This gives me peace of mind and allows me to enjoy summer knowing that my health is under control.

Living with diabetes means always being alert, but with the appropriate precautions, I can enjoy the summer as much as any other person.I hope my experience can help others to manage their diabetes effectively during these warmer months.

Let's take care and enjoy health with health!

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
05/21/2024 11:12 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.