{'en': 'Why should you not use glucose sensors if you are healthy?', 'es': '¿Porqué no debes usar sensores de glucosa si estás sano?'} Image

Why should you not use glucose sensors if you are healthy?

fer's profile photo   04/20/2024 10:17 a.m.

There is a trend that is gaining popularity: the use of glucose sensors by people who do not have diabetes.

First, let's talk about these devices.Glucose sensors or continuous glucose (MCG) meters allow us to monitor glucose levels in real time, which is crucial for those who live with diabetes.They help us manage the disease and improve our quality of life, avoiding complications such as night hyperglycemia.But what happens when people without diabetes use them?

Lately, some celebrities and influencers have popularized the use of MCG to control how food affects their glucose levels and adapt their diets.At first glance, it seems useful, but it is not so simple.The devices are designed for those who need them for their medical condition, are not subsidized for general use and have a considerable annual cost.

Using these sensors without having diabetes and without adequate medical knowledge can be counterproductive.Instead of benefits, we could create an unhealthy obsession with blood glucose, generating anxiety and focusing on fast solutions instead of proven habits such as physical exercise.

Moreover, the growing demand could increase prices, making these essential devices less accessible to those who really need them.Let us remember the case of Ozempic as an example of how a product can become inaccessible due to its popularization outside its original medical purpose.

So, if you don't have diabetes, before considering the use of an MCG, think twice.There are other ways to take care of your health that do not require such a large investment and that do not harm the access of those who really depend on these devices.

Let's take care and respect the medical tools for what they are: allies in the health of those who need them for medical reasons.

A hug.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/20/2024 10:17 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

But, will they have anything else to do?The nonsense to the cube, already ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/20/2024 11:29 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I saw him on the news.Incredible.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/21/2024 9:04 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I do not see it bad ... even in the sports field it is useful.The higher the demand, the more companies they will be interested in their production.More they will develop them, and why not, more Baraton could be.At the moment it is practically a hand to hand between Dexcom and Abbott, some expensive, the other inaccurate ..

Josemibi's profile photo
Josemibi
04/22/2024 9:15 a.m.

Db1 desde Diciembre 2007.
Fiasp y Tresiba.
FreeStyle Libre 2

Josemibi said:
I don't see it badly ... even in the sports field is useful.The higher the demand, the more companies they will be interested in their production.More they would develop, and why not, more Baraton could be.At the moment it is practically a hand to hand between Dexcom and Abbott, some expensive ones.

I think a little like you, whenever there is no shortage for diabetics, which I see difficult, because with sensor prices I do not think many people use them by whip.
And surely someone discovers that it is diabetic ... (it happened to my former doctor in a congress, they put the sensor to the doctors to explain how it works and there she realized that she had diabetes ...)

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
04/22/2024 10:15 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.