{'en': 'Insulin through patches on the skin?', 'es': '¿Insulina a través de parches en la piel?'} Image

Insulin through patches on the skin?

fer's profile photo   05/02/2024 12:27 p.m.

Imagine a world where daily insulin injections could be a thing of the past.Well, this scenario could be closer than we think.

The Biotts company, based in Wrocław, Poland, has successfully completed a concept proof project for the transdermal insulin administration.What makes this approach special is that insulin is managed by a patch applied to the skin, eliminating the need for injections.

This study, carried out in collaboration with Bioton, showed very promising results.The insulin administered through these patches not only managed to be effectively absorbed by the body, but also maintained constant levels of insulin for at least five days.This is significantly longer than injected insulin, which usually lasts less than a day.

One of the most notable benefits is the stability in the insulin concentration profile offered by this method.This is crucial to avoid sudden fluctuations in blood sugar levels that we fear so many of us.In addition, preliminary results suggest that a single patch could replace up to 20 insulin injections, which is incredibly good news for those who seek comfort without compromising effectiveness.

Think about the impact that this could have on children with type 1 diabetes and those who live in regions where access to medical care is limited.Not only will it improve the quality of life, but it will also help reduce medical waste.

It is important to mention that these developments are still in the initial stages and the products are expected to be available in the market by 2027. However, the potential to significantly improve our way of handling diabetes is immense.

For those interested in reading more about the study, they can do it at Link

The perspective of a life without daily injections could be right on the horizon.

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
05/02/2024 12:27 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

But it will serve only for slow ... for the fast I see it difficult ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/02/2024 2:12 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

@Regina even for slow 🤣
I click twice a day ... Imagine at least remove those two punctures and neglect the hours when I supply it.Sometimes I go to bed later for putting the insult at your time ... or having to be in the middle of class or somewhere by clicking on the morning ...
But come on ... until my eyes do not see it ... I have read/heard so many things and never get to anything ...

SilviaGRZ's profile photo
SilviaGRZ
05/05/2024 5:40 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Díabética desde los 4 años. Ahora tengo 37.
Hbg 6'9..

silviagrz said:
@regina even for the slow 🤣
I click twice a day ... Imagine at least remove those two punctures and neglect the hours when I supply it.Sometimes I go to bed later for putting the insult at your time ... or having to be in the middle of class or somewhere by clicking on the morning ...
But come on ... that until my eyes do not see it ... I have read/heard so many things and never get to anything ...

How I understand you with that last.They detected it 23 years ago and I remember that they told me in the hospital that everything progresses very fast, that if the stem cells, healing, etc., etc.Well, in all these years, those "advances" have been to change insulin marks, and in 2020 put a glucose meter.Well, and this week a cable pump.But I believe that the trend in advances are focused on technology to cope with it, rather than finding a cure.This evil moves too much money to make it disappear.

I hope to make a mistake.😁

Warholismo's profile photo
Warholismo
05/05/2024 7:11 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Warholismo I still ... I have been 34 years ... and (I wish I was wrong and they gave me a "zas throughout my mouth" 🤣) I know that I will die being diabetic.For me this is a business ... Look at the tickets that @Fer has put on what pharmaceuticals like Lilly or Novonordisk have won this year ...

For me the feathers were a great advance, and the sensor?The sensor is the best thing that has happened to me in all this time!(And see that I have to improve) but I don't change it for anything!
But hey ... if they take out things, then I am satisfied ... everything that is comfort and control improvement, welcome.

SilviaGRZ
05/05/2024 10:04 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Hbg 6'9..

@Silviagrz Yes!Completely.The sensor is the best thing that technology has given birth.I imagine having had it when they detected it and it would have been everything but dramatic.Of course, I carry it covered as if I had stolen a chicken in the supermarket.

And yes, I have seen those threads of the pharmaceuticals and I have reaffirmed again that the healing of the DB is the most beautiful utopia.But that, hopefully wrong.😁

Warholismo's profile photo
Warholismo
05/05/2024 10:17 p.m.

Totally agree.

Many years ago I saw a film where a pharmacist discovered a cure for some incurable disease (cancer or any other).All managers, researchers, etc., providing with "Cava".The next day those of the financial department meet and exhibit their conclusions before the Board ...... total that the investigation ended in the safe.They were more interested in the products they sold to slow/stop/control the disease to cure it.At that moment I thought that was unreal, crazy ... young people was one.You just have to see the "covid"

The same thing happened to me 28 years ... "Don't worry, as investigations go in approximately 15 years Diabetes will be eradicated and will be curable" ...... Of course.

Diabetes will never cure it and if any laboratory or group of researchers or researcher discovers something extraordinary, they will buy it and bury it.

So we have to take care of ourselves with the tools that allow us and as much as possible.

All the best

oviguan's profile photo
oviguan
05/16/2024 10:45 p.m.

Good, if there are advances and some very significant are already able to delay the diabetic debut, in the USA already do and the medication is not very expensive, what I do not know is that **** wait here, but it is a step ofDraft that a few years ago we would not have believed possible, of course what is going to happen no one does not know but as the announcement said do not call me illusory for having an illusion

Garci's profile photo
Garci
05/19/2024 2:21 p.m.

Hello: I believe that the solutions will come for biomedical research and with the development of new insulins and their applicators.
Not long ago many diseases were mortal and are now chronic.The advances are enormous in all specialties.
Until those wonders arrive I will continue with my walks, the control of what as well as and not stress.
All the best.

CarlosT's profile photo
CarlosT
05/21/2024 1:36 a.m.

@Carlost is not to discourage ... but chronification = a customer for life.
That is why ... after 34 years, as I said above, I'm glad of every advance, house novelty, every improvement and help (life changed to the sensors), what comes to supply insulin by patches?HOPEFULLY...
But heal ourselves ... I wish, hopefully I will be wrong and you will throw it to me ...

SilviaGRZ
05/21/2024 5:50 p.m.

Silvia (España)
Fiaps + Insulatard
Hbg 6'9..

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.