{'en': 'Toujeo doubt conservation', 'es': 'Toujeo duda conservación'} Image

Toujeo doubt conservation

Amy's profile photo   08/13/2024 6:38 p.m.

Hello,
There are many threads about it but I can't find exactly the answer I need.
On the trips, I carry the toujeo pen that I am using and another spare that is the one in the fridge.The replacement I carry it in a case with an ice plates but of course, it does not maintain the temperature of the fridge all the time and ... here comes the question, can I put this spare pen again, which is not in use,In the fridge again?

Thank you

Amy's profile photo
Amy
08/13/2024 6:38 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Yes, of course you can put it again in the fridge again.I do so and I have never had a problem.

Carussa's profile photo
Carussa
08/13/2024 11:26 p.m.

DM1 desde octubre de 2019 | Toujeo + Fiasp | FreeStyle | febrero 2023: HbA1c 5,7

I carry it in a cold, silicone bag, and nothing happens.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/13/2024 11:28 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I have been doing that but as it should be in the fridge between 2 and 8 degrees.
Thank you very much🙋‍♀️

Amy's profile photo
Amy
08/14/2024 12:01 a.m.

Hello, I contacted the Lilly laboratory to know about this and I got an expert to answer me.

In summary, insulin pencils carry a preservative that degrades with the temperature and between 8 and 29 degrees last 4 weeks.That is why insulin outside the fridge lasts only 4 weeks.If a temperature greater than 30 degrees is frozen or reached, the insulin spoils and does not work, so the pen should be thrown.

In theory the pen could be in the fridge all the time and take it out only to inject the insulin.The reasons why they tell you that the pen in use must be out of the fridge is because, if you injected cold insulin, brief and is more painful;And because insulin in the fridge decreases its volume and it is seen that there are people who keep it with the needle and bubbles inside when cooled.

I keep the insulin in the fridge always and put it directly because I need few units and I do not notice any pain for putting it cold.What happens to me is that sometimes I have to purge it twice because the first is not insulin.

ToniEC's profile photo
ToniEC
08/18/2024 11:23 a.m.

Thank you @Toniec, in the prospective of Toujeo that is what I use indicate: that the pen is not put in the refrigerator in use or the reserve since it lasts 6 to less than 30 degrees.But of course.The one that I started yesterday had already hit two trips in an ice bag (which does not keep 8 degrees or pussy) and as it is the last one I have had to buy new to have a reserve until I return to Madrid.You are three new reserve feathers within 15 days will return to Madrid and of course, if I do not put them in the fridge I will have to throw 2 without using.
I do not know, for now I am using the one that has made two trips.
The same goes for glucage and adrenaline.
All the best.

Amy's profile photo
Amy
08/18/2024 12:26 p.m.

Of course, they tell you that you do not keep it in the fridge when it is in use because it is seen that people keep it with the needle on and enter air.I keep it in the fridge always without a needle and there is no problem.

If you travel and insulin rises from 8 degrees and then lowering to less than 8, in theory, what happens is that you reduce expiration on what it puts in the box because the preservative begins to activate.This preservative serves so that insulin is not contaminated and infected with bacteria.If you use it after the expiration date continues to work, but the preservative may have been spent and bacteria can proliferate, so you get infected insulin.

ToniEC's profile photo
ToniEC
08/18/2024 1:26 p.m.

I only put the feathers that I carry of unused reserve again in the fridge.It is the one that I have doubts and that is what I tell you, I have had to buy a Toujeo pack that has 3 feathers here in Santander to have a spare one because I only had the one I am using.These 3 feathers will return to Madrid and if after the trip I can not put them in the fridge because they are not worth if they have not remained between 2 and 8 degrees, because I will have to throw them.
The one I have in use left her out.

Amy's profile photo
Amy
08/18/2024 1:34 p.m.

That is not true.I have been taking replacement feathers, Toujeo and Novorapid in cold bags, I keep them in refrigerator, and use them without problems.Insulin have never spoiled or worked badly.
Last week 4 in the cold bag, now I am using them, after being in the fridge and without problems.It works perfectly

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/18/2024 2:02 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Hi @ruthbia, because that is what puts in the prospect, but well.I have done the same as you.

Amy's profile photo
Amy
08/18/2024 5:35 p.m.

I take the reserve without cold and try to put it in a cool place.I still use it and I have never had problems with any insulin.
And I live in Malaga and it's hot ...
Insulins come very well prepared to endure very hot.Keep in mind that they are designed to carry them on top and the body is almost thirty -seven degrees.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
08/18/2024 5:45 p.m.

I always keep them in the frigo, even started and I never had any problem.
I take it out 10 minutes before putting it and then again the cool.

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
08/19/2024 12:22 p.m.

Hello, I use some wallets of the ´Frio¨ brand, which cool evaporating the water they have previously absorbed.They are the only thing I have found to take insulin in a weekend or trip.
The problem is that they are worth a paste.Of course, they last for many years.

Aristarco's profile photo
Aristarco
08/26/2024 10:11 a.m.

Good evening, in my case I have taken open insulin (only with 2/3 days of use) in my shirt pocket, which I have for daily (I do not keep it) I have it at ambient temperature (it can between 20/30)And I have never had problems that it does not work for me, if it is true that a cartridge lasts this 2/3 days, it is the Novomix.

match53's profile photo
match53
08/26/2024 11:44 p.m.

DM 2 hace 22 años
Compectant 15/850
Novomix50 ( 30-30) mañana/mediodi - novomix30 (60) noche
Glicada ultima - Stbre/21.....7,6

match53 said:
good night, in my case I have taken open insulin (only with 2/3 days of use) in my shirt pocket, which I have for daily (I do not keep it) I have it at ambient temperature (it can between 20/30) and I have never had problems that it does not work for me, if it is true that a cartridge lasts this 2/3 days, it is the Novomix.

The same as you, always at room temperature and the one I use at noon lasts a couple of weeks and I noticed that it will work worse !!

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
08/27/2024 12:30 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.