{'en': 'People with type 2 diabetes could have a cancer diagnosis in advance', 'es': 'Las personas con diabetes tipo 2 podrían tener diagnóstico de cáncer con mayor antelación'} Image

People with type 2 diabetes could have a cancer diagnosis in advance

fer's profile photo   08/28/2024 1:57 p.m.

Hello everyone!

I share something interesting that I have read recently and that I think is super relevant for people with type 2 diabetes.

It turns out that a study by the Steno Diabetes Center Odense in Denmark suggests that it could be possible to identify people with type 2 diabetes that have a greater risk of developing certain types of cancer, and everything through a simple blood test!

Apparently, people with type 2 diabetes have a greater risk of developing cancers related to obesity, such as breast cancer, kidney, uterus, thyroid, ovary, as well as gastrointestinal cancers, among others.

The reason?Chronic low -grade inflammation that usually accompanies type 2 diabetes could be the culprit.

The researchers concentrated in certain proteins of the immune system called proinflammatory cytokines, such as interleukine-6 ​​(IL-6), TNF-ALFA and high sensitivity CT reactive protein.

They found that high levels of these cytokines, especially IL-6, were associated with an increased risk of developing ovary cancer in women with type 2 diabetes.

The study is promising, since it suggests that, in the future, we could detect people of greatest risk of these types of cancer, and take more specific preventive measures.

Although more research is needed, the key message is clear: keeping inflammation under control and our diabetes could be crucial to reduce this risk.

What do you think?

I read you!

fer's profile photo
fer
08/28/2024 1:57 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.