Law that prohibits discrimination for genetic reasons.

fer's profile photo   04/25/2008 10:43 a.m.

The norm aims to prevent companies and insurers from hiring certain people for their diseases or their predisposition to suffer from them

The US Senate has approved a law to prevent companies and insurers from discriminating people for genetic reasons.The proposal, backed by Democrats and Republicans and by the White House, has been approved by 95 votes in favor and none against.Certain business sectors and the Chamber of Commerce oppose the standard.The House of Representatives will now have their approval to the law.

Scientists get more and more information about diseases ranging from diabetes cancer through heart ailments from genetic research, and have even begun to develop evidence that determines the predisposition to these diseases.Those who support the law are intended to ensure that these evidence are not used by companies so as not to make work contracts or not sign insurance to avoid expensive medical treatments.

"Discrimination due to personal genetic identity is simply unacceptable, as well as race or religion discrimination," said Democratic Senator Edward Kennedy.According to the politician, this is the first important law in a matter of civil rights of the 21st century.

The American Chamber of Commerce, which brings together three million entrepreneurs, fears that the law will bring a series of new regulations for medical privacy and derive in various state regulations and in millionaire judicial demands.

The House of Representatives approved in April last year an earlier version of the law for 420 votes in favor and 3 against.Given the modifications introduced in the standard, the new version must be voted again in the lower house in a session planned for the start of next week.Then he will be sent to the White House so that the president, George W. Bush, the firm and enters into force.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/25/2008 10:43 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

My mother, what fear of this information society, in which some are the "data" and others traffic with us and benefit from it.
How can we know where the ethically correct is fulfilled, if they are not going to publish it?
How can we know that a job is denied for little ethical reasons, if they can disguise him a thousand ways?
Fear gives me, and much, especially for my daughter.
Greetings

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/25/2008 11:01 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

This reminds me once I had to renew the driving license ... After doing the view, hearing, etc ..., I feel with the doctor, and start filling the traffic form as it was fineAnd I could renew for 10 years, in the conversation (I still don't know why), it occurred to me to tell him that he was diabetic ... and ... ay!Friends ... With the church we ran ... he told me that in that case I had to renew for 1 year, but that I would not worry, that although I had to renew every year, they would make me a 50% discount each time, that ifIt was for her that they would not, but as the State marks it and the laws are like that, because garlic and water ... So a year, I went to renew and I didn't say or bug ... and renew for 10 years ...

Does anyone know any reason why we cannot renew the driving license ???

I believe before we should look at other thousands of diseases that exist ...

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
04/25/2008 2:24 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.