Pump survey

DiabetesForo's profile photo   05/27/2008 3:09 a.m.

Hello everyone.
I'm going to ask all of you who have a bomb.
Did you ask for the endo: ?: ?:
In my case I have never given the option that Maria is put one and sometimes I read comments that it seems that it is not bad.
I ask you to opinion and advice, do not forget that Maria is 7 years old.
Good morning to all.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/27/2008 3:09 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Good morning Jose.I have already read me about it ... Pump yes, despite its inconveniences: bubbles in the reservoir fundamentally and the greatest hair control (at least 6 controls) that in our case has not increased because Angela had many ups and downs.
Due to the 2 serious hypos he suffered, and that after a few months with Lantus (my hope to stabilize, and that I do not cry to the endo to be prescribed because he was 6 years old and was not tested in young children)Without finding good control, I proposed the theme bomb to end .... so I know that he already wanted to start using this device, but the truth had not put any child here in the hospital, and betweenMy desire and yours, the efforts to request it and others began.We put the apparatus, not without the fears of the novelty and the little experience on the subject they had here, and so far, delighted from life .... 3 years later, I do not conceive the multiple injections.
I encourage you to try (of course you have to be willing), I am convinced that you would not regret it.
Any questions here are to help you.
Health

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/27/2008 4:12 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

I was proposed to me, but my case is atypical, I had good control, here they began to put them and told me if I wanted to try and I was very clear that yes, I have been changing it for three years and I did not change it for anything toDespite the inconveniences that I may have for me, it almost does not have compared to the advantages.

DiabetesForo
05/27/2008 4:27 a.m.

As I wanted to get pregnant and my heme was not good, I offered it to me.When my hemo was good I doubted, I became pregnant and they took me off so I decided on the bomb and put it on June 10.

mari's profile photo
mari
05/27/2008 10:16 a.m.

Debut 2002
Amo la insulina...ella me ayuda a seguir viviendo

I have always had doubts about insulin bombs and seeing the experience, surely you can give me some guidance.

First, the bomb takes all day, right? ... Isn't it annoying to have the catheter all the time? Do you know if it limits movements or exercises?

On the other hand, insulin is "injected" continuously, how does this affect the hours that are close to meals?, At night do you also carry it?

What are the advantages that you see with respect to the injections?

You see that I have enough doubts, mostly due to ignorance, to see if you illuminate me!;-)

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
05/27/2008 2:10 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

: Oops:

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/27/2008 2:29 p.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/27/2008 2:43 p.m.

Última hemo 6.1

VeliaThank you very much for your interest.With what you are telling me I am having many doubts I had, and with the great help of Fer's questions even more.
Your case.Velia is like mine but with 3 years in advance.Maria is now 7 years old, that is, when you started using the pump, 3 years ago.
I always believed that the pump carried a continuous glucose meter that was administered automatically when it reached certain levels and that if it went down I had an alarm that whistled and warned you that it had to put carbon to the boiler , forgive the comparison but I always tell Maria that we cannot run out of fuel so that the machine continues to work).
The issue is more complicated than I believed and more doubts arise.
- The catheter where is it on?
- How often you have to change it.
- If you take it off to go to the beach, which insulina puts you.According to accounts, quantities are measured in different way that with feathers.
- How many glycemia a day we talked.

: Oops: Forgive Velia, I'm running away, this should ask the endo, but I don't give me an option.From what you tell me, I don't want to complicate.For this better known bad than good to meet.
: Mrgreen:
;) Thanks Prado and Mari.

DiabetesForo
05/27/2008 7:33 p.m.

Good night!!!!
Jose, Espinro continue helping to dissipate doubts ...
The catheter is put in the gluteos, gut and side lists, fundamentally ... Let's see if I find the link so you can see how the catheter and insertion is .... I anticipate something about this, the catheter has a cannula forTeflon that in the pediatric form is 6 mm in length and that is normally introduced subcutaneously with an inserter (I am always talking about the Medtronic bomb that is what we have).The catheter change advises doing it every 3 days, we endure 4 days if there are no hyperglycemia and if the skin does not present any alteration (which has never been given until now).
On the beach .... The catheter is always placed on the skin (it has a sticker that keeps it attached to it) and the pump connects and disconnects from it with a simple thread.Each catheter also comes with a plug that would be used when the pump disconnect to prevent the sand or any other substance from obstructing the hole through which the insulin passes.You can preserve it from the sand, putting it into some bag and above all what is to be avoided is exposure to the sun and heat ... as I said another post you can be disconnected for a while, always measuring you and putting a part ofInsulin through a bolus, corresponding to a bit percent of the basal that corresponds to you being disconnected.Eg Angela goes to the Pisci, it is disconnected and as nothing normally does not need to put any insulin, but I try to measure it every hour and a half or so to see how it goes ...
The capillary controls we do are at least 7 .... the subs, the posts, the mid -morning, the mid -afternoon and the morning ...
What you say about the bomb with a meter and that automatically supplies insulin is the closed handle pump, so far not commercialized, although I imagine that this issue will not have much left ..., we currently have to program the basal and introduce glycemiamanually by Bolus (a simple instruction) ... The new Medtronic pumps are in turn data receivers from the continuous glucose meter, Guardian, in such a way that we can know the blood glucose in real time and act accordingly with theBomba, but for now only manually .... We already have the new pump and we are only waiting for the sensor ... I will inform you of how the combination of both devices is.
The amounts of insulin .... you will see, being a continuous perfusion, something minor are needed with pen than with pen, but those calculations are done before connecting the pump based on the insulin units that are currently beingputting the patient.
Joooo, I don't know if you have understood me .... I suppose it will seem very complicated, but it is quite simple to handle.
A hug.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/27/2008 8:46 p.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Little to add to what Velia said that he is an expert in the field;) ... hehehe ..... I only add that it seems very complicated that of being connected all the holy day to a speech,That has to bother ... etc ... But when you put it on everything it is very easy and more comfortable than it may seem to the beginning, the quality of life improves significantly, the glycems are much more stable, hypoglycemia are minor andeasier to solve.Of course you have to look at the glucose more times, I do the full profile every day and before running, that is, at least 7 controls a day.

DiabetesForo
05/28/2008 4:26 a.m.

.... We already have the new pump and we are only waiting for the sensor ... I will inform you how the combination of both devices is.

Velia,

Simply, thanks !!!Have you convinced me to look at me where to get an insulin bomb, do you know if it can be managed with social security?, Or does it have to be from a private endocrine?

By the way, when you talk about the combination of devices, do you mean that you use insulin pump and on the other a glucose measurement system without strips?, With continuous monitoring?

Greetings,
Fer.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/28/2008 1:05 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I can't guide you much about bomb, because Celia still does not carry it, fer.What I can tell you is that the bomb covers social security.The bomb and consumables, which are not cheap.

However, not all autonomies are equally "generous" and, as is the case with consumables of all kinds, there are much facilitating access to the pump and there are everything are obstacles and glue.

I know that Extremadura, where Velia and Juan Luis are of the generous, or Asturias, where we live.However there are others that do not, or that even varies from one province to another.

Where are you from, Fer?Maybe there is some forero in your area that can indicate more accurately.

And yes, the pump is an independent meter device.In fact there are still very little that combine both.

Health

DiabetesForo
05/28/2008 2:21 p.m.

Thanks Fer, I don't know if asking for a commission, hehehehe ...
The insulin bomb is managed from Social Security, both the device and the consumables ... and here and in everything it depends on the health area to which you belong, and the endocrine that touches you ... in our hospital both in adultsAs in children, bombs are being put for more than 3 years ... a lot of encouragement and you are already telling us.
The new Medtronic pump can be used with a continuous glucose meter (Guardian).The sensor (meter transmitter) is also inserted subcutaneously and measures the glucose of the interstitial fluid, obtaining measurements every 5 minutes and the results are transferring them to the pump meter option.Thus we can act accordingly if it is above or below the values ​​that we have pre -established as maximum or minimum glycemic .... The meter is not yet reliable 100%, it must be calibrate 2 or 3 times a day, and it is not "Non -invasive "(those are the inconveniences), but it is a step prior to what we expect soon we can enjoy, the closed handle bomb or the artificial pancreas ...
A hug.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/28/2008 2:46 p.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Thank you all and especially to Velia.
I already have it much clearer.Luckily you are there because if I wait for another type of information I go ready, and if I look for her online to know where I can end.
I think we are going to wait to see if they take that bomb with artificial meter or pancreas, for now we carry it quite well and we go for the triennium.

DiabetesForo
05/28/2008 4:50 p.m.

I put here a link that seems very interesting to me

DiabetesForo
05/29/2008 1:26 p.m.

Thanks Prado, the interview is very good.

DiabetesForo
05/30/2008 3:52 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.