Spain has a black hole in moving knowledge

DiabetesForo's profile photo   07/24/2009 3:01 p.m.

This week I have been attending a course on the involvement of technology in the current economic crisis.

I have translated you from the Valencian, the news about the press conference given by Dr. Ramón Gomis and his references to the conference he gave.

What I have pointed out in bold is what seems most interesting to me.

I also link the explanations of Proteoma and Metaboloma:

Proteoma:
Metaboloma:
Spain has a black hole in the transfer of knowledge to the market
Miguel Ángel Sanchis, Professor of Theoretical Physics at the University of Valencia, has been the coordinator of the Economic Crisis course: Science and Technology, solution or part of the problem?, with whom it was tried to analyze different related aspects betweenYes, framing them in the economic crisis situation.As this situation involves many areas of knowledge, the participation of doctors, researchers, chemicals, physicists and economists has been attended, which has offered an overall vision in which the implications that science has for the economy are being studiedand technology.
At this point, Professor Sanchis pointed out: " science has become the great hope of humanity: cure diseases, dominate nature, conquer space, etc.This is the positive part.But we cannot forget that science, like any other human activity, has a negative part that is necessary to control so that technology is at the service of humanity and not unlike ”.

Sanchis put as examples of these risks, from exhaustive control with quantum computing techniques creating a kind of great brother to a development of new diseases, pandemics etc.
In this sense, Miguel Ángel Sanchis concluded his speech pointing out “ we bet on technology, and for innovation to get out of the economic crisis as many economists propose, but we need to be prevented because the progress involves hazards for whichHumanity may not be prepared "

The advance of biology
The Director of Research and Senior Consultant of Endocrinology at the University of Barcelona, ​​Ramón Gomis, was in charge of teaching the conference within this course: new paths for biomedical science?
The objective of biomedicine in the 21st century will be raised as a goal.According to Gomis “ until now the advances of medicine to the twentieth century were attributed to physics and chemistry and we have stated that the 21st century probably the great advance will have to do with biology.Let us think that in the 21st century a lot of benefit will be extracted on knowledge not only from genome but also from proteoming and metaboloma .And not only this but it is also very important that the scientist of this century will ask great questions and that it is addressed from complexity. ”

According to Gomis, the most spectacular advance of biomedicine has been the development of antibiotic therapy that has resolved many infectious diseases.But it clarified “ If we analyze it from a more programmed vision, the great advance has been the application of physical techniques to medicine: magnetic nuclear resonance, electroshock, ultrasound, defibrillators etc.All these techniques have changed the panorama of medicine both for the application to surgery, and for the effect of physics itself on some diseases such as radiotherapy or also for the diagnosis ofdiseases. ”
Regarding the need to advance in the investigations of diseases such as cancer or diabetes, I pointed out “I think the first step for healing a disease such as these is chronification.What happens is that we have little fundamental knowledge of the causes caused by these diseases.We have probably only noticed the epidermis of the problem and it is essential not only to know the causes but to know where the system that causes, in the case of cancer, the disease is deadly. ”the lack of investment and the little progress that is made regarding these diseases.On the contrary, “Cancer study is one of the most investments and that is why it has been advanced in a spectacular way.I insist that the problem is in the lack of fundamental knowledge about this disease.If we know how to use the knowledge that genome gives us etc.These diseases that probably concern us before 2050 will have a solution ”

Finally, when asking the question about the level of these advances in Spain, the level in Spain in biomedicine is not bad.What happens is that there is a great black hole to take advantage of the knowledge we have and stays in the papers.We are unable to make this step from university to the company so that the knowledge that may interest people move to the market.If knowledge does not reach the market, it has little value ”

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/24/2009 3:01 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.