{'en': 'The challenges and solutions for diabetes in adolescents', 'es': 'Los desafíos y soluciones para la diabetes en adolescentes'} Image

The challenges and solutions for diabetes in adolescents

fer's profile photo   09/02/2024 2:22 p.m.

Hello,

I write about the challenges of controlling diabetes in adolescence.As many of you know, this stage of life is already complicated in itself, and adding a chronic disease such as type 1 diabetes can make it even more difficult.

Adolescents with type 1 diabetes face several challenges due to the biological and psychosocial changes of this stage.For example, insulin resistance can increase during puberty, which complicates the control of blood sugar levels.In addition, maintaining regularity in insulin doses can be a challenge due to social life and school activities.

Another important point is the emotional impact.Teenagers may feel different or stigmatized for having to manage their disease in public, which can lead to emotional and self -esteem problems.Parents and caregivers must maintain open communication and support their children in the management of their diabetes.

In an article that I have read recently, the experts María José Picón César and Ana Gómez Perea highlight the importance of education and continuous support for these young people.They advise that parents dialogue with their children about the importance of following treatment and how this impacts their long -term health.

Common problems

• insulin resistance: During puberty, adolescents experience an increase in insulin resistance due to growth hormones and sex steroids.This means that they need more insulin to maintain their blood glucose levels under control.

• irregular food and exercise patterns: social life and school activities can cause adolescents to have little regular food and exercise schedules, which complicates diabetes management.>
  • Emotional impact: Feeling different or stigmatized can lead to self -esteem and emotional problems.Academic and social pressure can also increase stress, affecting diabetes control.

• eating disorders: Some adolescents can develop eating disorders such as insulin omission to lose weight, which is extremely dangerous.

Recommendations for parents

• open communication: It is essential to maintain open and honest communication with your children about their condition.Ask them how they feel and what challenges face.

• Continuing Education: make sure that both you and your children are well informed about diabetes.Participating in workshops and support groups can be very useful.

• emotional support: offer an emotional support environment.Do not minimize your feelings and seek professional help if you notice signs of depression or anxiety.

• foster independence: help your children to take responsibility for their own care, but still supervise.This will help them feel more secure and prepared to handle their diabetes in the future.

Recommendations for adolescents

• self -care: try to follow a regular routine for meals, exercise and insulin administration.This can help maintain the most stable glucose levels.

• talk about your feelings: Don't be afraid of talking about how you feel.Whether with your parents, friends or a professional, expressing your emotions can relieve a lot of stress.

• education and knowledge: the more you know about your condition, the better you can handle it.Do not hesitate to ask your doctors questions and look for informationreliable.

• Participation in support groups: Uniting for support groups for adolescents with diabetes can be very beneficial.Sharing experiences and advice with others that are in the same situation can be very comforting.

I hope this information is useful and I encourage you to support your children or any teenager who knows that he is dealing with diabetes.You are not alone in this!

A hug to all.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/02/2024 2:22 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

How true this post, what horror was for me diabetes in a adolescence that also lasted over time because my parents never saw me "greater" with which I still did not be.A horror adolescence with diabetes and a horror diabetes with adolescence.I punctured me to live not to control anything, neither were these cachivaches to control glucose continuous

Vero83's profile photo
Vero83
09/02/2024 5:47 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.