Pancreas transplant

DiabetesForo's profile photo   11/08/2009 7:58 a.m.

Hello, someone who is in this forum has ever had the occasion or you have thought about making a pancreas transplant, I have a friend who yesterday did one already is the second that this operation is done is better than what whatThey are saying of the mother cells, because today I do not know if I would have an operation of these because some risk should have if it is safe to 100% of not being diabetic for a few years, or it could be that it could last all thelife that kind of operation, greetings to all

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/08/2009 7:58 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Juanca, because of how little I know, that operation is only doing it to those who also need kidney transplant.I do not know if they will only do pancreas, because I fear that it is not effective in the long time, and needs immunosuppressants for the rest of life.

I hope someone better informed can give you more data than me.

Health

DiabetesForo
11/08/2009 8:12 a.m.

Thank you very much for your answer, if you have messenger add me to and we make some time talking a greeting.

DiabetesForo
11/08/2009 12:16 p.m.

Extracted from the Spanish Diabetes Society:

At the moment, diabetes is an incurable chronic disease.Years ago, transplants of cells of the insulin -producing pancreas are being carried out, but so far only 8% of transplanted patients have managed to remain without insulin for periods greater than 1 year.Gene therapy and, above all, stem cell studies, which when implanted in a diabetic patient would lead to new insulin producing cells, open a hopeful future.

Scientific foundations
In type 1 diabetes two ways have been used:
• Mixed kidney and pancreas transplant.Its effectiveness has been demonstrated,
With a survival of the graft at 5 years of 65%.It requires immunosuppressive therapy to avoid rejection. No isolated transplantation of pancreas .
• Isolated islet transplantation of a donor.Until 2001 the results were little hopeful.Currently, thanks to the use of new drugs, cell survival is being improved.One of the problems posed by the islet transplant is its obtaining and the cost it represents, as it is required
A large number of islets, which cannot be obtained from a single pancreas.
Research routes with stem cells, regeneration have been opened
of acinar and ductal cells and adult progenitor cells.Currently, problems are the difficulty in obtaining stem cells, knowing the different steps of their maturation to differentiated cells and that its use will behave the administration of immunosuppressive drugs, as well as the problems that will have to be solved for characterization.

DiabetesForo
11/08/2009 1:50 p.m.

Good because of what I have understood if that they can get a pancreas transplant alone, today talking to a friend who has done one week that one says that a friend who did one did and ahce who has done it about 18 years, for more, for moreIMFormacion The Dodne hospital is practiced by these transplantation is in the clinic of Barcelona, ​​a greeting companions

DiabetesForo
11/15/2009 1:24 p.m.

Sincerely ... I don't know if I would undergo a transplant, with everything that entails to stop being diabetic ... take immunosuppressants, medicated for anti -short life ... possibility of rejection and not to mention surgery ...I hate being diabetic but exposing something like that ... I don't see it clear ...

AnNa's profile photo
AnNa
05/25/2015 11:20 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.