{'en': 'Facing summer, doubts with the insulin pump', 'es': 'De cara al verano, dudas con la bomba de insulina'} Image

Facing summer, doubts with the insulin pump

paula's profile photo   03/08/2010 2:51 p.m.

Hello everyone,

I have little with the bomb and I ask a doubt about summer.

I would like to know that when I go to the beach or the pool, do I have to take off my pump and put on the equivalent in injections or simply take my pump when I get in water?

And if so, will the insulin be spoiled with heat?

What do you do in that season of the year?

I would like to leave this summer but I am afraid and I have told my husband to wait because I don't know what to do in those cases.

About 2 weeks ago we went to a spa and my endocrine gave me a table with the insulin equivalences that I had to put on and the hours it would be disconnected, it also indicated that I had to take off my sensor, Ufff!I felt so insecure!

Well, I listened to him, and you guess what, I reached 400mg,: Don't you see you to download that.

I know that the Medtronic brand sells products for the pump, and among them there is a plastic case to submerge the pump, but what if the device is spoiled?, I'm afraid of that bag:-/:-//

If someone has it, could I do me the favor of telling me how it is doing?

Thanks in advance to all.

paula's profile photo
paula
03/08/2010 2:51 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Paula, do not hurry and reserve, that there is nothing better than a good vacation;)

We go to the beach and the pool with the pump.In the pool no problem is measured before and it is if it is just something I have to feed it because the exercise does not supply it with the disconnection: shock :, yes, when it comes out it is placed again and ready, if it happenedA time another control is done and if something is corrected ... the pump can be protected so that the sun does not alter the insulin.If you are not going to have a lot.

On the beach it is another story, at least for us, it was removed and put the protective cap before going down, by the happy sand, which sometimes was introduced into the catheter and then prevented us from threading the bomb cable: ((((((((((, but I already tell you that we solved it doing it before going down ... if you are not going to exercise much, you can put what you are supposed to have a basal for the dexconnection time in a normal bolus, there are those who recommend just puttingA little percent of that amount, you will have to try it, and of course carry a quick ball just in case, but another option is to take the pump and provide insulin with it if necessary (yes, keep in mindThe sand) ... There is no major problem ... we bought some bags in the fight to put the mobile, keys, etc, and with a great size for the pump, they are one of those that are madeThe void, and there we got it to protect it ...

Also keep in mind that we are talking about a girl, who brings together in the sand and others, an adult must have fewer problems, in fact Juan Luis never happened.

There are those who decide to mix injections and bomb (I certainly do not), and for the day use and fast, and at night bomb ...

Come, enjoy !!!

Velia's profile photo
Velia
03/09/2010 5:13 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Thanks Velia for your advice.I will also ask my endocrine, but I think you have more experience than him.Thank you again.: D

paula's profile photo
paula
03/09/2010 9:21 a.m.

Yes, I also do as Velia, I'm going to the water, then I take it off (I measure myself first and see), when I get out of the water I put it again, if I'm somewhat tall, I correct a quick bolus.It is also true that I am not very aquatic, so this system does not bother me much.Nor do I like to sunbathe, so I'm almost always in the shade and I also prevent insulin from warming up a lot.

I went on a quiet vacation with the bomb.You will see how you find your system with the bomb to bathe and enjoy the beach.

lola's profile photo
lola
03/09/2010 10:05 a.m.

This is also going to be my first summer with the bomb and the truth is that this issue worries me a lot since my boyfriend and we love to spend the summer days on the beach!From sun to sun !!We love water !!!and take the sun a lot !!I had thought about every time I go to the water, be baffled, but of course ... how long can I be baffled without the sugar getting out? 10-15 min?Also ... I usually go every two to the water ... Is it good to be conscious-dispose of so often?Do I have to do controls before and after entering and going to the water?Even if it is in a margin of 30- 40 minutes? I do not know if I explain ... the truth is that if the summer could happen with the bomb it would be great!Because I would not like to return to the punctures, even if I have to sacrifice a little beach!Thanks in advance !!

PS: I just chopped a moskito on my face ¬¬ like picaaa !!he he

kiara's profile photo
kiara
04/03/2010 6:21 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.