Preserve beta cells

Carlos1979's profile photo   04/18/2010 11:30 p.m.

Hello.

My name is Carlos.I am new in the forum.I am 31 years old.I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago and since then I am in treatment with Lantus and Novorapid.

I am on a honeymoon, according to my endocrine.I don't have a strict diet.As of everything, I have only eliminated everything that contains excessive amounts of sugar (soft drinks, pastries, etc.), which before having diabetes fed me up.

My diet is as follows:

At breakfast, I usually have coffee with milk and 2 or 3 portions of sugarless chocolate.I can take it when I wake up or mid -morning (at work) or twice, in no case do I punctuate for this breakfast.Once, if I get up hungry and with enough time, I accompany coffee with one or two sugar -free muffins (depending on the weight) with sugarless jam, for which I punctuate 3 or 4 novorapid units.My glycemias throughout the morning never exceed 140, normal after coffee and chocolate, 100-130, but it goes down to 70-80.

I do not usually lunch or snack, at most some coffee with milk.My next meal is dinner, the only fixed meal I make up to date, in which 6-8 novorapid units, depending on what I will eat.At that time I sulked the lantus too, 18 units.At dinner I do not weight food, such as what there is, without happening, but without being hungry.The rice tried to avoid it, it has given me the occasional climb.

My ease glycemia and before meals are usually between 70-100.After meals between 90-150.More than 170 is very rare.Only 4 or 5 times in these two years I have exceeded 200, being my record 232. However, the times that has risen me so much there has been no apparent cause.What I do, if I see that I have so much (more than 170) is to prick an extra unit.

The glycosilada has given me 4 and peak in the two analytics that I have done.

Shortly after debuting my endocrine told me that I was with the honeymoon, and today insists that this is the reason why my glycemia are controlled.But it seems to me that this is too long for a honeymoon, I don't know, what do you think?Reading I discovered that there is a lada or 1.5 diabetes that puts me something more with my case, although I am not entirely safe.

Anyway, I know this will not last forever.Among the things my endocrine told me to see my latest analytics, the one that worried me most is that my ability to produce insulin is practically null .And lately I have noticed that I need to prick a little more and that sugar goes up to me after meals.Although not always.

What I would like to know is if there are ways to preserve beta cells that may be as long as possible.For example, I have read in the forum and on the network, that starting insulin therapy since the diagnosis of diabetes is a way of preserving them.That is, but surely there are many more guidelines that I do not know.Any information or experience that you have in this sense I will thank you to comment.

Greetings.

Carlos1979's profile photo
Carlos1979
04/18/2010 11:30 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Carlos, Welcome ......
That "diet" have you commented to your endocrine ?????Because it seems to me a barbarity, very unbalanced, so many hours without eating and after a breakfast so bad it seems to me a mistake ...:-/ I think if you want to preserve your beta cells it is best diet, exercise and insulin, but it isMy opinion, nothing scientific ehhh ...;)

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/19/2010 4:21 a.m.

Hello, Carlos!Maybe you have that 1.5 diabetes because the honeymoon is lasting a lot ..., I don't know how you can lengthen more, I don't think there is an effective way to do it, it depends on each organism, but yes that, early treatment with insulin, they say it protects beta cells.
It is true that you have a lot of lack of control in meals, but as long as you still have non -diabetic hemoglobins, you can do everything.The truth is that, with flat insulins, the freedom of schedules in meals in almost total.
If you see that you begin to climb glycemia in the posts, you will have to increase the rapid, one in one unit.If high values ​​begin to wake up, you will have to increase Lantus.
I hope those glycemia continue to accompany you a lot of time.
Greetings :)

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/19/2010 4:59 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

If you have started directly with insulin and not with oral antidiabetics ... I would almost opt ​​because you have diabetes type 1.Además, that type 1.5 diabetes is usually passed with its own insulin production is much greater than 2 years.
In any case, there are sufficient analytical tests (that maybe your endo has already done them) to determine what type of diabetes you have.

Today, much cannot be done to preserve the production of insulin in type 1 diabetes ... of the autoimmune mechanism that destroys the cells, it is not known much, neither their origin nor their speed .... so in eachCase is a world.

Very different case is type 2 diabetes, which can preserve internal insulin production.

DiabetesForo
04/20/2010 10:16 a.m.

Thank you all for responding so fast.

It is a shame that this autoimmune attack is not known.I read a user who had a 5 -year -old honeymoon.If we could prolong this "honeymoon", which we have it, it would be a tip, but for now we can only see how it is gradually disappearing.But be careful, I have also read there that in a type 1 diabetic some beta cells, although in a very low quantity, they can be found even several decades after the debut, so there is still hope in case you discover what to do with them.

As for my diet I know it is not exemplary, rather the opposite.In addition, for a few months I have begun to abuse the "bad" fats, which is something I did not say at the beginning, but many times the mid -morning consists of a cover of fried cochino meat.Also as bread with butter, whole milk, etc.Already the last analytics told me the endocrine to watch the cholesterol, I think I remember that it had it in 160.

Lunch, say that before having diabetes always had lunch.I started not having lunch shortly after debuting.The reasons that led me to leave this meal were several:

One that I started to feel bad after lunch, with palpitations and a certain sopor/discomfort, without being the copious meals, much less.I spent sometimes, not always, and I found no relationship with what I had just eaten.The glycemiah did well and after a while I passed.I don't know if it has something to do with diabetes, I have not told the endocrine because it has happened to me the two times I went.Does it happen to you?Sometimes at night it also happens to me, but it's more rare.

Another reason for not having lunch many times is that the idea began to be around my head that if it was 1 in the afternoon and was 80-90 of sugar, it was best to maintain this level as long as possible to achieve a good glycosilada.If I ate not only I would have to prick, but I risk having a worse level.Another reason was to have more free time (when leaving the work at 3, I could go do other things instead of going to eat).This will sound to Chinese but in the end I ended up convincing that it was simply better not to have lunch.

Greetings and thanks to everyone again.

Carlos1979's profile photo
Carlos1979
04/25/2010 8:25 a.m.

One that I started to feel bad after lunch, with palpitations and a certain sopor/discomfort, without being the copious meals, much less.I spent sometimes, not always, and I found no relationship with what I had just eaten.The glycemiah did well and after a while I passed.I don't know if it has something to do with diabetes, I have not told the endocrine because it has happened to me the two times I went.Does it happen to you?Sometimes at night it also happens to me, but it's more rare.

Yesiiii¡¡¡¡¡normal), as well as half dizzy ... I blame my mania to chew little and eat very quickly ... It is as if the body said that it cannot assimilate that meal suddenly ... and it has almost always happened to me inLittle copious meals and with little fat ... neither poleos nor primperan take effect:-/

Anyway, one more argument for my galloping hypochondría: mrgreen:

DiabetesForo
04/25/2010 3:02 p.m.

Hello,

I was diagnosed 5 months ago and for now I am with honeymoon.As you have told you there is no sure way to preserve beta cells.When I went to the endocrine, however, I commented that there were preliminary studies that suggested that the new diagnosed could help preserve (at least longer) part of their beta cells practicing sports.I did not take it too seriously (although I applied the story and I make 1 hour of aerobic almost every day), but it is true that there are recent studies in scientific journals about this:

Link
Link

Applying insulin told me that it is a theory that had come down, although in case I am getting a little quickly too (it will not be), although I think that right now I could have more or less normal knives without it.I leave it here in case someone is of interest.In any case, practicing sports should be one of your buzas to control this disease.

davidT1's profile photo
davidT1
11/27/2015 2:14 a.m.

DM1 desde 2015
Lantus 10 (a las 14:00h)
Novorapid 2-4-2
HbA1c 5.3
----------------------
DM3 por partida doble

Hi, Carlos.Welcome.

It all depends on the recommendations of your endocrine but I, as a dietitian, see a barbarity of epic proportions that you jump essential meals and that breakfast so little.It's about keeping everything you can that honeymoon, not killing yourself for trying to keep them.

pike's profile photo
pike
11/27/2015 11:15 a.m.

DM1 desde 2015-Novorapid 2/2/2/2-Toujeo(en proceso)-Mañana
Glucosilada 4/2017: 7,2

Hello Carlos,
You have the diet badly.You have to eat several times a day and at your time.
The honeymoon can last years and years, each one has a different body.There are people from the forum that has been still on honeymoon for 10 years.
My case is equal to yours.I am 31 years old, they diagnosed me 2 years ago.I get 11 of Lantus and 3/3/3 of Novorapid.I have HBA1C always 5.3- 5.6, and they left me that it can be type 1.5.But it is almost the same.
Don't go crazy with that.In the end and afterwards you will need insulin like everyone else, whether they call you Pepito and I don't know ...
Beta cells are gradually destroyed and we need more and more insulin.There is nothing eternal, everything deteriorates
Encourage and welcome to the club

mirleft's profile photo
mirleft
12/26/2015 1:41 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.