{'en': 'Can Ozempic be used or similar for type 1 diabetes?', 'es': '¿Se puede usar Ozempic o similar para la diabetes tipo 1?'} Image

Can Ozempic be used or similar for type 1 diabetes?

fer's profile photo   09/13/2024 9:23 a.m.

Today I bring a news about two medications that we so far knew for use in type 2 diabetes: the semaglutida and the tirzepatida .

Although these drugs are approved for type 2 diabetes and weight loss, new research proposes that they could also be effective in people with type 1 diabetes (T1D) who live overweight or obesity.

These medications, which help control blood sugar in type 2 diabetes, are being increasingly prescribed to people with T1D who have difficulty controlling their glucose due to insulin resistance, a common problem in overweight people.

According to Dr. Janet Snell-Bergeon, leader of the study, these medications could offer great benefits to patients with type 1 diabetes, although there are still few data on their effectiveness in this group.

The study reviewed the medical records of 100 adults with T1D that took semaglutida or tirzepatida, and the results were quite encouraging.

Those who took these medications experienced significant weight loss compared to controls (people who did not take these drugs).In addition, its blood sugar control improved similarly between the two groups.

- 77 % of those who took semaglutida and 93 % of those who took tirzepatida ** lost at least 5 % of their body weight **.
- 47 % of semaglutida users and 87 % of those of Tirzepatida ** lost at least 10 % of their weight **.

In addition, patients who took Tirzepatida reduced their need for insulin by 18 % on average, indicating that they improved their insulin resistance.

Although the results are very promising, Dr. Snell-Bergeon emphasizes that larger studies are still needed to confirm the safety and effectiveness of these medications in people with type 1 diabetes.

But without a doubt, these results suggest that the semaglutida and the tirzepatida could be an additional complement to the treatment of T1D, especially for those who fight with weight control.

What do you think of these advances?

Greetings,

Source: [EASD] (https:/5

fer's profile photo
fer
09/13/2024 9:23 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I wish!Because DT1 also have insulin resistance, especially women.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/13/2024 3:08 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Precisely about this I was thinking the other day.Since I have been a mother, it costs me much more to control glucose and I need more and more slow ... a fucking fucking, go

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
09/18/2024 11:16 a.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Hello, I am type 1 diabic (lada) and I have overweight.I was medicated with insulin from the beginning and still managed to lose some weight the 1st year (my BMI was 32).I consulted with my DRA and told me the Ozempic almost 2 years ago, the 1st year I dropped from 10 kg and in this about 5 more.I had to lower my slow insulin, just now I am using almost what I used.I clarify that I use Ozempic 0.50 that is the one that is prescribed for DBT2 not the one that is to lose weight.The drug is very expensive but luckily my social work covers, it is not magical we must take care of ourselves and move equally but it was a great help for me, my BMI is already in 28 and I got overweight.My cardiology says it has many additional heart protective benefits, so it is highly recommended.I personally did not feel important side effects, it is very important to follow up on their doctors.Ah another important thing since I use it, my hiccups were very reduced.

Luisa63's profile photo
Luisa63
09/22/2024 5:32 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.