An artificial pancreas can prevent hypoglycemia

fer's profile photo   06/20/2010 8:35 a.m.

An artificial pancreas can prevent hypoglycemia

Using an artificial pancreas system during the night can significantly reduce the risk of night hypoglycemia in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes, as recently published 'The Lancet'.The first clinical essay of an artificial pancreatic system that supplies insulin and glucagon has shown that it can also prevent hypoglycemia development, according to a review published by the latest issue of the magazine 'Diabetic Hypoglycemia'.

Dr. Roman Hovorka, an artificial pancreas researcher and author of the document published by 'The Lancet', analyzes the developments in the closed loop insulin supply field and reviews the system components and challenges for the introduction of this technology in theClinical practice, including the need for super quick action insulin anologists, double hormone approaches to accelerate insulin absorption and clinical infrastructure optimization to support the use of closed loop systems.

Professor Simon Heller's related editorial details how the technological developments that support the self-management of diabetes have failed so far to lead the main improvements in glycemic control or constantly reduced rates of severe hypoglycemia.

In this regard, he explains that a reason could be the requirement for patients to estimate doses of basal and prandial insulin, which can be sued by many patients and can lead to ineffective self-treatment of diabetes.Professor Heller analyzes how the introduction of closed loop systems could deal with this problem.

fer's profile photo
fer
06/20/2010 8:35 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

At least for the moment, I am lucky that I always realize when I am in hypoglycemia.When I was diagnosed with the diabetes I feared that when I sleep, if I gave me a hypoglycemia, I would not find out ... but I always wake up (with her in 40) but I wake up and I can eat something.
I do not know if it will be convenient to make artificial pancreas agreing insulin with glucagon.Glucagon is an unstable hormone, whose functioning when administered can have not very clear effects, in addition to being hypertensive ... etc.I believe that the appropriate thing would be to create a mechanism that would whistle when blood glucose fell from 60 for example so that people who do not recognize the descents very well can go back even as they are asleep, waking up with the beep ...

ManuLC92's profile photo
ManuLC92
11/14/2010 8:21 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Helloaaaaa,
Manu, that would be great, that through a whistle we wake up and thus be able to go to that hypoglycemia, I am very afraid of having nocturnal hypos, I do not know if I would realize, because I did not have it yet, but if the case comes I hope to find out
Greetings

anabeg's profile photo
anabeg
11/14/2010 9:01 p.m.

Well, the news is poorly raised by that magazine.
An artificial pancreas would not only prevent hypoglycemia, but also hyperglycemia.In fact, the artificial pancreas, if it is achieved at once, what it would do would be to maintain normoglycemia.

And see if he leaves a damn time.

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/15/2010 7:43 a.m.

Manu and Anabeg,
That already exist, they are the continuous meters.They whistle if blood glucose falls from the limit you define.The problem that does not pay social security ...

tica's profile photo
tica
11/15/2010 8:34 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Helloaaaaaaa,
Tica, did you not know that there was a continuous meter, thought it was the same insulin pump that warned you, what is the cost of the meter?
Greetingsssssss,

anabeg's profile photo
anabeg
11/15/2010 10:08 a.m.

Well, even if I do not cover social security, I prefer to pay it, even if I have to be giving 300 euros per month!Anything for health !!But what happens that if social security does not cover them, they do not advertise them?Because I doubt that the artificial pancreas covers, at least at the beginning, to the Social Security and I would like to have it from the same year that it comes out ...

ManuLC92's profile photo
ManuLC92
11/15/2010 10:32 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.