"Small forgetfulness" and outrage

virginia's profile photo   08/02/2010 9:39 a.m.

Hello everyone:

First of all, tell you that I am a user of an insulin bomb, and although I have put the same in that forum, I also wanted to comment here in case it serves someone.This time I wanted to share with you what this weekend happened to me, in which I had a "little-great forgetfulness" that made me outbound.

The fact is that we went with some friends to eat a town at 30 km.Where we lived and when I went to put the bolus .... they crossed out ..... I had taken the dressing completely with the consequent exit of the catheter.In those moments I was pale no .... the following, since I fell in those moments that I had not brought the Humalog Pòr ball if perhaps and did not have a spare team, so I was without insulin and with almost foodAt the table ....... and there began my journey ......

A friend of ours (who was at food) is a doctor, so we took the car, we went to her house that was close to the restaurant, thank God, she took the SS recipe book and made me a Humalog recipe.The scare was removed and with a relaxation face he took us to the only pharmacy on guard that was open ..... what is our surprise when the pharmaceutics jumps us:

- I don't have that insulin, the orders are until 13.30 and on top of each other we are on vacation, that is, I cannot do anything, I'm sorry !!!

I believe that I died !!!!!And my medical friend's face was worse.Before I panic, he told me not to worry, that as in the town there is no hospital, the ambulatory had urgencies and that they surely put the dose that I needed and after eating, more calmly, I could gohome to change the team ..... ha ha ja naive of us ...

We arrive at the emergency room and the nurse tells us that they have no insulin, but that it will confirm it.He comes out with an Actrapid road and tells me that it is the only thing he has ..... Since I have never put on that insulin and I don't know how I could react ..... I have no choice but to leave my friend in theRestaurant, who is all eating and my husband and I travel the 30kms.That we had to our house to be able to change the team, click and eat.But not without the consequent digust and the consequent crying for carelessness (it is that I am of easy tear).The most ridiculous thing is that when I arrived at my house I was in 75, I don't know whether to walk so much or nerves ......

Anyway, I know that it is an unforgivable carelessness and that it fulfills it is mine but it seems really outrageous that in a "guard" pharmacy that is supposed to be for emergencies, they leave me lying.And even more outrageous than in an ambulatory, where they have an emergency office because the closest hospital is 10-15 km.They have nothing more than an actrapid road .......

I have certainly learned the lesson ...... It will not happen to me again or leave the house without the ball.And in the hypothetical case that I would happen again ...... and my house was far away ....... direct to the emergency department of the nearest host.It will not occur to me to waste time trying to solve it in another way.

virginia's profile photo
virginia
08/02/2010 9:39 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

How strong, thanks for sharing your experience, it is to take into account.
A kiss
Cloud

Nube's profile photo
Nube
08/02/2010 4:08 p.m.

Diagnosticada en Agosto del 2009, solicite la curva de glucosa, diabetes melitus II, actualmente tomo Jentadueto, dos al día. Glicosilada 6,4

Hi Virginia:
You don't know how Uffff I understand you: ((, something similar happened to me months ago, we were going to eat away from home and that day I had a catheter change that I usually make at night, when halfway I measure the post of the post of theBreakfast was about 300, very rare in me, I didn't have a boom or catheter replacement so we had to turn around because it was clear that I already needed to change everything, Ufff felt fatal, for not having planned it and chafar the plan, since then notI leave without a pen in my bag, I assure you that it has never happened to me again.
Oh and do not surprise you that in the pharmacy they do not have insulin, I buy insulin always in the same pharmacy and whenever I carry the recipes they have to ask for it, they never have it ...

A kiss

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/02/2010 5:36 p.m.

Wow Virginia, it was a pu ... the truth is that I never carry a boli on top of it ", but it is good to know ... something similar happened to me but being at work, thankfully my husband does notI was working and could take a new catheter to change and clear thanks to the fact that I had a very understanding boss and left me those minutes, but it was inside the city.A question Didn't you notice that you had taken a little detached?I do take it back if I notice it, but it costs me in front of me.Well, it already happened, and think that the bad experiences are learned, and I will certainly apply the story, as it says in my land.

paula's profile photo
paula
08/04/2010 10:33 p.m.

Hello, something similar happened to me too ... (It seems that it is a story that is repeated in bomb users ...) It was also quite far from home.
My solution was to go to the pharmacy and buy an insulin injections and as I could take out the insulin that had been in the bomb deposit.In case it serves you for next time (it doesn't want to happen to you).

tica's profile photo
tica
08/05/2010 4:14 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

We happened to us with Ángela recently, we went to a reluctant to eat, we climbed in a taxi because we were going to take some cane out there, at the time of the food, already with the ordered dishes it is measured and almost 400 glycemia tachán: shock:, Without a folding ball at 3 in the afternoon, and without a car, na, we call a taxi and go home, we corrected with ball, we changed catheter and when we arrived back to the restaurant I had already started to go down ....

Velia's profile photo
Velia
08/05/2010 4:32 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

The truth is that it was a task ..... especially for my husband heh, heh, but hey .....

Hey ethics ...CCALMA Back home ...........
In line with this ......... a question ... like I have never punctured with vial+syringe ........ but I have always done it with a pen ...... I suppose the units do not equal between them, right ?????Does anyone know the equivalences ????I say it because it ever knows ........

Paula .... Well, the truth is not you noticWhat gave me was as if the pastel had volatilized with heat and sweat ... heh, heh ... or that, or the aposty was defective and brought little adhesive ....... noI know but the fact is that I do not usually sweat much and until then it had not happened to me.They don't usually take off ...... And as I always put them in front ...Then .....: P)

What a work about Angela, Velia .......... Joe ... and on top of no car ......You know Murphy's law, when you carry everything, nothing happens but the day you have nothing .... it happens to you ........ is incredible !!!!

Anyway ... I see that I am not the only one who, unfortunately, has had mishaps ........ thanks to all for sharing your experiences .....

virginia's profile photo
virginia
08/05/2010 4:54 a.m.

Viginia, the equivalence is the same.They are 100u/1ml syringes.Before carrying the pump at home he used syringes (Humalog).For my liking he is injected better and does less harm.When I had to eat away from home if I wore the bolis.Of course, you have to buy the "faces" syringes that the cheap ones have a deposit in the needle and the insulin that is injected well is not controlled.

tica's profile photo
tica
08/05/2010 6:05 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.