{'en': 'They stigmatize people with diabetes after traffic accident', 'es': 'Estigmatizan a personas con diabetes tras accidente de tráfico'} Image

They stigmatize people with diabetes after traffic accident

fer's profile photo   09/22/2024 11:29 a.m.

Hello everyone,

Recently, a driver with diabetes has been judged after suffering an accident due to hypoglycemia while driving.The Navarra Diabetes Association (ANADI) has denounced what they consider a clear "stigmatization" towards people with diabetes, since their disease is being treated as a "serious recklessness."

It is important to remember that having diabetes does not mean that you cannot lead a normal life, including activities such as driving.People with diabetes are subjected to medical reviews every 5 years to renew their driving license, and in cases where treatments are followed, they must submit medical reports that prove that they can continue to drive safely.

What Anadi highlights is that, although exceptional cases of severe hypoglycemia that make vehicle control, this cannot be equated with voluntary risk situations, such as driving under the influence of alcohol may occur.Comparing both scenarios is unfair and reinforces harmful stigmas to those who suffer from this disease.

These types of accusations not only affect the person involved in the accident, but also send a negative message to the entire community of people with diabetes, questioning their ability to lead a normal life and fulfill their responsibilities, such as driving.

From the association, they hope that the person will not judge the person for his illness, but for the facts, and that a stigma that affects the image of those who live with diabetes is not promoted.

What do you think about this subject?

Have you lived any similar experience or do you feel that society still does not understand what it means to have diabetes?

A hug to all.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/22/2024 11:29 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I don't know what to comment !!The truth !!
As here in the forum it is recommended not to say it, because it must be renewed before, because I think if he did not say it and skipped the laws should give him a good lesson so that all those who recommend not to say it learn to respect the laws !!I know this will hurt, but it is what there is !!!

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
09/22/2024 2:23 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Andrespmat The news does not go so becauseThe community of people with diabetes in the same bag as the reckless people who conduct drunks.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/22/2024 2:36 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Sorry to disagree !!But I compare it to alcohol or drugs !!The symptoms are confusion, disorientation or even loss of knowledge and hiccups never know when good control will come, but com says Jose Mota (which will not happen, but and yes) it is no joke !!That's why I started saying in the other post, I don't know what to comment !!And it does not go for renewal, but the same is why they want to do it every year, so that no one can forget to maintain excellent control, but thanks for the rectification, and it is not, if for you it is out of place or not, it isIf for the authorities and professionals of medicine they think there is danger or not !!I also feel super and sure driving, but one day I kill someone !!
There is nothing in the world that justifies that life !!That's why I said !!I don't know what to think and then give my opinion,

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
09/22/2024 2:52 p.m.

I understand, thank you for clarifying it @Andrespmat I see it very different, but respect your opinion.: Smile:

fer's profile photo
fer
09/22/2024 3:05 p.m.

You can kill with the car without being drugged, drunk or with hypoglycemia.
It does not seem to me to compare diabetes with drugs and alcohol.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/22/2024 5:04 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Drugs and alcohol are not comparable with hypoglycemia.In addition, hypos do not only give diabetic people.And you can develop diabetes shortly after renewing the card ... and yes, I am one of those who has renewed it and has refused to say it because it seems discriminatory ...

cgs's profile photo
cgs
09/22/2024 9:55 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

It cannot be said that hypoglycemia is imprudence, it can be compared with a fainting or a decrease in tension or a dizziness or a digestion cut .., but in no way a serious imprudence, because there are hypoglycemia that cannot be prevented.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/23/2024 4:04 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

regina said:
cannot be said that hypoglycemia is imprudence, it can be compared with a fainting or a decrease in tension or a dizziness or a digestion cut .., but in no wayA serious recklessness, because there are hypoglycemia that cannot be prevented.

Do not say that, I mean that the hypos cannot be prevented, because then they denote us the card ...

meginer's profile photo
meginer
09/23/2024 10:49 a.m.

But they are the least, the same can give a stroke or a heart attack or ... I mean that the driver's hypoglycemia cannot be blamed.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/23/2024 1:17 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

[[ERROR-TRANS]]Yo llevo conectada la alarma por gps a mi coche, si suena, me paro en cuanto pueda y miro a ver que pasa.
No se como alguien sabiendo que tiene una hipo no paró el coche.

_vane_'s profile photo
_vane_
09/30/2024 7:13 p.m.

Diagnosticada diabetes tipo 1 hace dos años.
Sin páncreas.
40 unit Tresiba en la noche, y humalog a demanda (que es mucha) Metformina 500 mañana y noche.

[[ERROR-TRANS]]Me parece una vergüenza que esto pase en un país supuestamente desarrollado.

JuanSolo's profile photo
JuanSolo
09/30/2024 9:10 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.