{'en': 'Alcoholic beverages, how does glycemia affect?', 'es': 'Bebidas alcohólicas, ¿cómo afecta la glucemia?'} Image

Alcoholic beverages, how does glycemia affect?

Ana82's profile photo   09/12/2010 9:31 a.m.

Hello!!

I need that if you can resolve me a doubt, with your own experiences or some link to another information page.

How does alcohol affect the blood glucose of a diabetic?

Thank you so much.

;)

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
09/12/2010 9:31 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

As I understand, fermented alcoholic beverages (beer and wine) upload sugar like any other food but distilled (whiskey, vodka, rum, etc.) cause hypoglycemia, so it is recommended that they be accompanied by sugary drinks like Coca Colaor fanta.In addition, if you are partying, you are going to move a lot, it is also advisable that you carry some juice or some food with sugar to avoid hypoglycemia.

It has never given me any hypoglycemia while partying but I always carry a juice on if the flies.

All the best.

Jorditel's profile photo
Jorditel
09/12/2010 10:22 a.m.

All alcoholic beverages rise glycemia, and the more degrees, the more they rise.

Another thing is the rebound effect, if you drink a lot, the blood glucose will rise a lot in the following hours, and in the subsequent hours you will have the occupied liver by processing that alcohol, so it will not be able to release glucose if necessary, with the consequentHypoglycemia risk.

My advice (what I do, come on) a rum finger (horizontally) and Coca-Cola Zero.And at most, a couple of those minicubatas in one night ........ Hoiga's hand, I can drive later, there is no hangover the next day, you enjoy more than night .... let's go, all advantages.

Greetings.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
09/13/2010 3:49 a.m.

Several links where the diabetes and alcohol relationship is explained:

100 grams of kcal.H. Carbon alcohol
Aguardiente 280 0 40
Anise, liquor 312 30 27
Cava, dry 65 0.1 9
Beer 44 4 4
Black Beer 37 4 3
Coñac 245 0 35
Geneva 243 0 35
Sweet Liquor 348 27.6 50
Ron 243 0 35
Sweet cider 40 5 1.8
DRY cider 28 3 2
Sweet Vermu 166 16.4 15
DRY VERMU 124 4.9 15
Sweet white wine 89 4.3 10
DRY WHITE WINE 70 0.4 10
Jerez wine (sweet) 160 15 15
Oporto 160 14 15
Pink wine 75 0.9 10
Red wine 75 0.9 10
Fine wines 124 3 15
Vodka 244 0 35
Whiskey 244 0 35

The theory says that fermented drinks rise glycemia (carry HC) and distilled drinks lower glycemia.

The main recommendation is that alcohol is not taken outside the main meals.
If it is made in small quantity (1 or 2 glasses at most) and always accompanied by sugary soft drinks, it is also good to peck nuts or similar fruits to maintain blood glucose longer.

The liver being entertained in metabolizing alcohol, cannot segregate glycogen (glucose that is used when we do not have food glucose) and therefore there is a risk of hypoglycemia, consequence of: basal insulin+HC expense metabolizing alcohol+physical exercise (dance, move, walk) ...
In addition, since the liver is busy, it is not reaided either to the external glucagon that is usually injected into situations of serious hypos ...
It is true that alcoholic beverages cause an initial climb of blood glucose but soon the descent is plummeted ...

All this is the theory ... Then each one affects things differently.
So better to do "tests" at home, controlling and with people who can help us ... to do the prubas away from home and surrounded "ignorant in diabetes."

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/13/2010 4:36 a.m.

Ok!
Thank you all for the information!
;)

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
09/13/2010 6:07 a.m.

My advice (what I do, come on) a rum finger (horizontally) and coca-cola zero

I knew appreciation ... :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
09/13/2010 8:02 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

And for contributing something, it is true that each one is a world, as we all know, but as a rule, alcohol in general has two consequences mainly:

1. Glucose rises
2. Increases the risk of hypoglycemia

Two apparently contradictory things, but logically, do not give themselves simultaneously or under the same circumstances.That is, it is not the same to take some wines before eating than going to drink at night.The latter is the worst of situations, because it is when there is more risk of hypoglycemia (and chungas, not being reactive to glucagon in external injection).
I, for example, that I never take "glasses" (it will be because I no longer go out at night?), And I only take wine (sometimes beer), what happens to me with alcohol is that it hits me interesting rush,Especially with beer, which is enough for me to take one to consider in 270 without disheveling.Of course, that value usually falls much faster and easily than another peak caused by food.And it is curious, because beer has very few HC .... mysteries of life ...

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
09/13/2010 8:09 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

The glasses are not a problem since I do not take them ...... What can I mix with Coca Cola Zero that I like ??? nothing! So I do not drink glasses.
But from time to time I have a cane or a glass of wine and it is true that with beer the blood glucose rises quite a lot but with the wine and a normal blood glucose still mixing it with nuts or olives or something of choppingA downturn that is not normal .......
That's why I asked you, they were your experiences.
Thank you all !!!!
;)

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
09/13/2010 8:38 a.m.

My experience with alcohol, better not to take it.I was a little bad, go out every weekend (one or two days in a row) and in the end I decided to stop drinking.When I go tapas if I drink a beer.But taking 5 cuabtas on one night has gone down in history.

I remember one night, that I had suspended the fifth consecutive subject (I had always approved everything, that first of the race had happened clean ...) that we went to a town and we started drinking some friends ... a bottle of chieftainI drink I alone.What's horror the night and the next day ... I would not go from 30, my friends knew that it was diabetic but they would not have known what to do with me, the hospital closest to 80km ... I couldn't eat anything solid because I vomited everything except water withAzucar, thankfully ... I put the awakesto every hour to make me an analysis (despite going drunk I was aware of the situation) it overwhelms me so much that I click Glyucagon, although I knew that I was not going to do anything (and so it was) good)In the end nothing happened to me.And it served me as a good lesson, my parents did not find out about anything ... better for them !!!

tica's profile photo
tica
09/13/2010 10:20 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

I don't drink glasses either, or before having diabetes or now, but I drink beer and came when I go out to eat outside.Here we go a lot of tapas to take short beer and always with a skemoment the glucose but also lowers it very quickly, so normally with a couple of units or three I avoid the hyper and the posterior descent.
My advice is that you don't drink without eating something with hydrates at the same time and if you upload a lot of insulin unit, go testing.

DiabetesForo
09/13/2010 11:26 a.m.

In my case, the worst that makes me beer, the glycemia you don't even see.
For this reason I avoid drinking it.
On the other hand, the weekend 2 copies with the food were Saturday and two on Sunday.
Now if there is a snack with the wine and it is at night at 4 in the morning I am in 250 and that before bed I measure me and I have 120.
Very rare right?

DiabetesForo
07/13/2015 9:36 p.m.

I want to make a small correction, if you drink distilled alcohol accompanied by sugary drink, tail, lemon, etc ... but sugary, so that the risk of hypoglycemia is somewhat lower.

And remember that severe hypoglycemia by alcohol intake is not "solved" with glucagon, if with rapid absorption HC intake, or where appropriate, intra venous glucosado serum.

I leave you some links:

http: //www.sediabetes.org
Link

Monica_LTD's profile photo
Monica_LTD
07/15/2015 2:23 a.m.

www.latiendadeladiabetes.com
info.latiendadeladiabetes@gmail.com

El Libro Blanco de la Diabetes
La diabetes contada por diabéticos

Well, I have left beer with diabetes, but a glass of wine if I drink.I have not noticed that blood glucose rises, go down if it goes down.In the HC boards that I have to the wine, it puts 0 from HC.

And a Gintonic or two if I ever take myself, but with sugary tonic.I get the blood glucose but it goes down immediately, it is also true that you have to drink alcohol with a full stomach;That was the first thing the educator told me in diabetes - alcohol.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
05/10/2016 2:12 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Before they diagnose me a year without drinking (an era that gave me 25 years I did not apcaendure the jokes of the friends and roster@s ... with humor so hehe and if I go out of party cocacola zero, or a glass of red wine.
What fucks me the most is this ... before I didn't drink and now I drink came for not swelling in a zero or water in the bar ...
There are also some tonic without sugar like the homemade ...

mario5s's profile photo
mario5s
05/10/2016 11:04 p.m.

Well, I drink a lot of beer and I haven't noticed that I get very much, the same is not always looking at everything I should!
For example, there was football in Coruña, I took two reeds before entering the stadium, when 5 beers left and then I thought that the subject was going to go out of hand and looked at myself.I had 180, q tp is crazy, I think, so I decided to have dinner and click.It is true that I did not corrected because I was afraid of having a downturn later.At two hours I looked at myself and everything perfect!
I do not drink glasses since I am diabetics.:(

RocioLA's profile photo
RocioLA
05/15/2016 12:44 p.m.

30 años - DM1 - Debut Marzo 2014 - Lantus 7 - Novorapid 0 - 5 - 10

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.