{'en': 'How does Covid affect diabetes?(study)', 'es': '¿Cómo afecta el COVID a la Diabetes?  (estudio)'} Image

How does Covid affect diabetes?(study)

fer's profile photo   09/18/2024 9:49 a.m.

A very interesting article on how COVID-19 can affect diabetes explains that a group of Weill Cornell Medicine researchers has discovered that the coronavirus can not only trigger new cases of diabetes, but also aggravate symptoms in people who already have diabetes.

The study has identified as the active virus immune cells that destroy the beta cells of the pancreas, which are responsible for producing insulin.This can lead to serious complications in patients with diabetes.

From the beginning of the pandemic, it was observed that the COVID-19 affects several organs, including the pancreas.The researchers used an advanced model to understand how the virus causes these effects.

They found that pro -inflammatory macrophages, a type of immune cell, damage the beta cells of the pancreas by means of a process called pyroptosis.

This discovery could lead to the development of therapies that protect the pancreas in the future.Although it is still early for specific treatments, this research opens the door to new possibilities to prevent damage in patients with serious infections.

Those who have passed the COVID-19, during or after having it, have you noticed any additional affectation with diabetes?

I hope this information is useful and I encourage you to keep taking care and keep you informed.

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
09/18/2024 9:49 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I had nothing or Covid symptoms.
Because I did a test, but I think I'm healthier than an apple

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/18/2024 11:59 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I had a very mild covid in September 2020 and debuted in September 2021. In between, nothing, nothing, neither a catarrus nor stomach viruses or anything.I believe that my diabetes was triggered by the Covid, slowly (lada) until it began to face (in May I already had more thirst than normal) and a year later it produced ketoacidosis.
Bad times those, with the confinements and the pandemia I avoided going to the health center and the mess was fat.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
09/22/2024 12:03 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.