High blood glucose in the morning

altosantiago's profile photo   12/08/2010 2:27 p.m.

Hello everyone:
It is the first time I write in a forum and I am sure that something will do badly.
I have been diabetic for 29 years and lately I can not stabilize the morning glycemia.I am always above 228.
I put myself at 8:00 hours 34 units of Lantus and at 6:00 p.m. 50 units of this same insulin and in the morning I have over 228. I have put up to 54 units and remain the same, above 228, noI know what to do, I am very worried because I can't get off those figures early in the morning.

I would like someone to give me a recommendation for this.

I thank everyone for having read this email

altosantiago's profile photo
altosantiago
12/08/2010 2:27 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Holassss
Welcome to the forum.

If I have understood well, you put 2 doses of Lantus: 34 and 50 units ... is it like that?

The first thing that attracts attention is the double dose of Lantus, personally if you have to unfold dose I prefer the lesson, specifically designed for that.
But well, it is a minor issue.

Have you tried to delay the afternoon Lantus?Maybe if you put it on the 8 or 9 you would get a higher dose of insulin in those critical hours.

Another possibility to review is the injection zone ... Do you break the areas every time?Even within the same puncture zone you have to rotate ... sometimes it happens to us that we change arm, for example, but we always click on the same point.
If in your case you do not break well, if you click on a new area, insulin will have much more effect ... be attentive to the possibility of hypoglycemia.

The latest recommendations indicate that in high insulin doses it is unfolded in 2, if the dose is greater than 40 it is recommended to unfold in 2 punctures ...
The subcutaneous tissue is not infinite and large amounts of insulin end up not absoring ... even creating a overflow effect ... it is as if it were a dam where no more insulin can be further.
I guess your case will not be so limit because you would have realized that insulin "came out" .... Although it can affect you to a lesser extent.

Finally, I imagine that you do not take a resopon or anything after the fast of dinner ... you could try to reduce 1-2 units of carbohydrates of the dinner and adjust a little more the quick.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/08/2010 2:58 p.m.

You don't tell us if you are type 1 or type 2.
Nor do you tell us if you use fast insulin for intakes.

I deduce (and I may be wrong) that you are type 2 and you only get Lantus.I'm afraid that treatment is not doing well.Lantus usually gets once a day, and combined with ultra -grape insulin.

Tell us what complete treatment you carry and what type of diet do you do, to help you better.

Health

DiabetesForo
12/08/2010 4:22 p.m.

Thanks to both of you for responding in a time.
Yes, if I get fast in breakfast intake.
I've been putting two punctures as you tell me Owash, but this morning again with 246
I don't know what to do
All the best

altosantiago
12/11/2010 6:21 a.m.

Generally, fasting glycems depend on the Lantus, while those after meals depend on the rapid.

If your figures are outdated on an empty stomach, several things can happen:
1- That you miss Lantus.You would have to climb the lantus more.
2- You have alba effect.There you would have to play with the Lantus schedule so that its maximum peak matches you at dawn.This is easier to solve with insulin pump.
3- Have a rebound as a result of a downturn during the early morning.To discard it, do some control around 3 or 4 in the morning, to know how you are going to those hours.

Once you know the cause it will be easier to find the solution.

Health

DiabetesForo
12/11/2010 8:28 a.m.

It can also be that dinners are too heavy?
It happened to me one day, when it cost me to eat all the rations at dinner, and I felt with a heavy stomach, at two hours, I usually have normal values, but in the morning I get up with high values.
My theory is that being a heavy dinner, my digestion continues even if the effect of insulin has passed.Come on, it is what was discussed in the Dagaz post that has been so conflictive :)), it is one of the few points with which I agree with him.
Altosantigo, the same thing may be happening to you, also as you say that you are very common ... maybe you can try to make a lighter dinner, although I would consult it with the endocrine or the educator.In fact, it is one of the things that I plan to ask my educator next week.

DiabetesForo
12/16/2010 3:25 a.m.

Forgive me that I could not answer you before because I have had a problem on the computer.

I consult my endocrine and take the decision to wear another dose of a new insulin Humalog Mix 25 (25% fast) and the first days well, but today I am already high again.

I will do what Nihs says very little dinner

Thanks and for your advice

altosantiago
01/26/2011 4:57 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.