How do you rectify when you are high?

lore_bcn's profile photo   12/30/2010 5:30 a.m.

Hello!

I have been in this for a short time, but I state that many people are rectified when it is high.My question is that as you are rectified.

If I don't say it badly before each meal you are about 90 and at 2 hours later about 140, right?Well, that ..., if at 2 hours after I have eaten I see that I am 200 or 200 and I can puncture one or two doses of insulin ???

It seems a silly question but no one has explained this to me ..., I are a high state because I waited for me to the other meal and this.

I suppose the rectifcard you help the hemo, so I had 9.8.

Thank you!

lore_bcn's profile photo
lore_bcn
12/30/2010 5:30 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You should consult it with your endo or make you more glycemia (at 3 hours of eating to see how these).
I always measure me 3 hours later because at 2 hours I mediated and I was in 280 and at 3 hours I measured me again and I was in 190 (to give you an example).
Each diabetic we are a world and you have to do many tests to know what is best for us.

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
12/30/2010 6:15 a.m.

I tell you the same as Ana, consult with your endo because an insulin unit does not lower the glycemia equal to all.
My sensitivity index is in 70, that is, an insulin unit lowers blood glucose, also when correcting you have to value active insulin that is nothing more than insulin that is still taking effect of the last bolus.
It is very important to know how to correct because being many hours with hyper is the hemo, but you have to be careful not to have a hypo, so it is important that you know your sensitivity well.To calculate it you have to divide 1800 between the total insulin units that you put in the day (slow and ultra -grape)

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/30/2010 7:18 a.m.

What I am going to say is orient ... the objectives that are normally sought is to be between 80 and 120 mg/dl before meals and between 140 and 180 mg/dl after meals (at least those are the objectives recommended bythe Association of American Diabetics).

These objectives are orientative because the postcens are interested in having 180-200 mg/dl to avoid nocturnal hypoglycemia or PQ, maybe a day just after eating you are going to do some exercise and you are interested in getting a little high forAvoid hypoglycemia.

When we talk about "rectifying" we refer (at least I) that we make glycemia before meals and we are out of those goals but not by little, for a lot and depending on your insulin sensitivity to the unity ofUltra-opted or immediate action insulin that you use because this deviation mustNo endocrine or educator will say it ...).

These formulas to calculate insulin sensitivity are also as guidance (1800 / (total insulin units that you get in a day)) only as guidance, it is not an absolute truth, sometimes insulin does not go as we expect and there are situationssuch as being in "honeymoon" that you have to be careful because they still have their own insulin and therefore the insulin needs will be low the doses you need can vary quite without doing anything as well as above walking.

DiabetesForo
12/30/2010 8 a.m.

Well, I talk about corrections when my postprandial glycemia (after meals) is not in the target and I do not mean my glycemia before meals.I correct if they are above 150 and there is no active insulin.In this way I get well to each meal.I make the full profile daily, I measure me before and after each meal, at least 6 times a day.
But this is what I do and I do well, I carry bomb and I have insulin, the basal especially very tight.

DiabetesForo
12/30/2010 10:21 a.m.

Hi Lore_bcn,

I correct myself if I am too high before eating and after eating (at two or three hours), and even before bed (if I am above 170).Obviously if I am going to chop something in the middle of the afternoon, I measure the insulin and I put the one that is necessary based on what I will chop and my levels.

In my case, the correction factor is 85 approx.But as TNT said, it is not always so square.It also depends on whether or not there is Cetona, if you have a lot of stress, if you are going to exercise later, if you are sick ... there are times to run based on that and it is not enough and other times it gives you a hiccup.It is to look and value personally as you react.

All the best,

olguilla's profile photo
olguilla
12/30/2010 11:02 a.m.

There is no ideal figure for post -complying glycemia ... it depends on 20,000 things approx.
If we are going to exercise, if you are going to snack later, if you have to be fasting the next day ... there are a thousand things

Correct is based on practice, like almost everything, it is best to start prudently ... 1-2 units at most and see how it reacts ....
example:
If we are going to be at home all afternoon and food post (3 hours later) is 250 ... maybe you could start by putting 1 or 2 units to see how we get to dinner ... without walking, or eatingnothing...
Thus, for another day we will know how we work in similar circumstances.

DiabetesForo
12/30/2010 2:28 p.m.

Thanks for your advice ...., help me a lot!
It seems that since I take you reading these 3 days and doing what you say I have the values ​​better!
I already tell you that I have the Hemo to 9.8 and in February I have analytical again and it puts me to lower it.With how much hemo is it convenient to get pregnant ???Right now I have no thought but I think that in less than 2 years I would like to have another baby!

I put my values ​​of these last 2 days as you see them:
I click at night 9 of Lantus
Apidra I put 2-6-6

-29/12: Breakfast +2h.food +2h.Dinner +2h
122 152 81 67 48 I click a less insulin dose both in food and dinner

-30/12: 84 122 52 138 71 73 ate one more than hydrates in food

-31/12 81

lore_bcn's profile photo
lore_bcn
12/31/2010 5:22 a.m.

You have quite good controls.

The hemo that is recommended to get pregnant is less than 6. But I have an acquaintance that with 6.3 has given him green light, so I suppose it depends on the doctor's criteria, within limits.

All the best!

olguilla's profile photo
olguilla
12/31/2010 5:28 a.m.

My mother ..., less than 6 ????
How long do you think can take to get to that hemo ???
Since they diagnosed me 8 months ago and State at 9.8 .... do you think if in a few months I decide to get pregnant and ask the bomb to be more controlled would give it to me?

lore_bcn's profile photo
lore_bcn
12/31/2010 5:41 a.m.

The corrections is how to edit an encyclopedia, come on.If each of us put our corrections, I think we would almost have different parameters.Each one must adjust it to their particular case.
I am of the opinion that you do not have to adjust too much after meals, because that post figure is the one that allows us to "survive" until the next meal and we must have a certain margin, especially when supposedly, that figure is going down with the passage of the hoursuntil the next meal.But as I say, everyone knows what they want to get and how they are more comfortable.
On the other hand, the correction figure is also very personal, since each one has a sensitivity. I would say more, because each of us can have different insulin needs for the same time of the day.In that subject I am very little theoretical, because it is one of the things that I have observed over the years that it is impossible to adjust, since I cannot categorize that a unit lowers me 60 or 70 or 90. There are daysThat - compromised - I get 60, another 70 and another 90. And there are days that not a unit does not lower me, even.What to do before that?Well, little can be, really.So I do not obsess me with that period of the post that is always so complicated.

Summarizing, try, try and try.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
01/03/2011 10:48 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

I fully agree with what you say and especially with this:

I am very little theoretical on that subject, because it is one of the things that I have observed over the years that it is impossible to adjust, since I cannot categorize that a unit lows me 60 or 70 or 90.What to do before that?Well, little can be, really.

All those calculations that are made with formula 1800 / (total insulin units that you put in one day) are simply orientative and are quite wrong if more than one type of insulin is used that is the case of the majority.

People who wear insulin pump may only use single type insulin (a continuous drip of a single insulin type, "drip" that increases in meals or at any other time to correct), for peopleWith bomb that formula can be quite useful but for people who do not carry insulin pump and we are with more than one type of insulin (a slow or prolonged action and one of rapid action or immediate action) that formula is worth it ofLittle or nothing.

In addition with another particularity, the same individual has different sensibilities throughout the day (a sensitivity to breakfast, another to food and another to dinner) and that formula assumes that the sensitivity of an individual is constant throughout the day andIn any situation.

What is much more effective / useful than that formula of 1800 / ... is to calculate the rapid insulin units or immediate action by ration of carbohydrates at each meal, something like:

• Breakfast: 5 rations of HC and 18 units of rapid insulin or immediate action = 3.6 units/ration
    Food: 10 Rations of HC and 11 units of rapid insulin or immediate action = 1.1 units/ration
    Dinner: 10 rations of HC and 13 units of rapid insulin or immediate action = 1.3 units/ration

Which allows me to see that I have different insulin resistances at different times of the day (not as the formula of the 1800 / ... that tells you that an insulin unit is able to reduce x mg / dl of blood glucose in blood inany time of the day or situation).
Which allows me to make much more real/useful calculations when making corrections at different times of the day for being out of objectives (those objectives of the adapted in my previous post).
Which allows me to make much more real/useful calculations such as calculating the necessary insulin doses whether as more or less HC rations in each of those meals.

All this is much more real/effective.

DiabetesForo
01/03/2011 11:26 a.m.

I totally agree with the two, before I have a bomb and using Lantus and Humalog, the theory did not serve me too much, instead with the pump it is different because we have very tight basal insulin, so tight that we do not have the same basal scheduledIn 24 hours, at least me.With pump it is easier to know the sensitivity to insulin and the amount of carbohydrates that an insulin unit covers you throughout the day because it would be vaviding and that is why more stable control is achieved.

DiabetesForo
01/03/2011 11:38 a.m.

As Prado says.In principle, when carrying the pump, if you have the basal well tight, the glucose should not go down as the hours pass, if you do not stay once the effect of the bolus of the food is finished, so it is easier to calculate the corrections.With the Lantus I could not do this.

olguilla's profile photo
olguilla
01/03/2011 11:53 a.m.

lore_bcn said:
my mother ..., less than 6 ????
How long do you think can take to get to that hemo ???
Since they diagnosed me 8 months ago and State at 9.8 .... you think if in a few months I decide to get pregnant and ask the bomb to be more controlled, I would give it to me?

Maybe the partner was wrong ... so that they give you green light for pregnancy, hemoglobin must be below 7, between 6-7 ... with 5 would also be fine, but I think it is too low, to get thereA 5 You must be with values ​​around 90 ... and that is something difficult

RAKE's profile photo
RAKE
09/14/2017 11:16 p.m.

DM1 desde 1992, con 9 añitos; Tresiba 10, Apidra en función de HC
Freestyle Libre

hansolo said:
the corrections is like editing an encyclopedia, come on.If each of us put our corrections, I think we would almost have different parameters.Each one must adjust it to their particular case.
I am of the opinion that you do not have to adjust too much after meals, because that post figure is the one that allows us to "survive" until the next meal and we must have a certain margin, especially when supposedly, that figure is going down with the passage of the hoursuntil the next meal.But as I say, everyone knows what they want to get and how they are more comfortable.
On the other hand, the correction figure is also very personal, since each one has a sensitivity. I would say more, because each of us can have different insulin needs for the same time of the day.In that subject I am very little theoretical, because it is one of the things that I have observed over the years that it is impossible to adjust, since I cannot categorize that a unit lowers me 60 or 70 or 90. There are daysThat - compromised - I get 60, another 70 and another 90. And there are days that not a unit does not lower me, even.What to do before that?Well, little can be, really.So I do not obsess me with that period of the post that is always so complicated.

Summarizing, trying, trying and trying.

JJJJJJEEE.Well, you will not be obsessed with the posts ... but to have a hemoglin of 5.5 ... you must be all day around 90 and the posts, you may not reach 130 ... so I do not obsess me either!How do you get that hemoglobin?
I also had 5.5 ... but years ago, now I am around 6.5

RAKE's profile photo
RAKE
09/14/2017 11:21 p.m.

DM1 desde 1992, con 9 añitos; Tresiba 10, Apidra en función de HC
Freestyle Libre

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.