Hello ... and happy new year !!!

helora's profile photo   01/05/2011 8:15 a.m.

Hello, we are the parents of a 2 -year -old boy and we have just been out of the hospital for a month, he entered last month and we spent almost 2 weeks.The child is very good (on his honeymoon) and our headache is at meal time, because we do not get the rations (for the moment there are 13 daily) so of the food we prepare, in the endWe have to be completed with cookie halves, heavy bread pieces, nuts ... And he doesn't always want and day by day he closes more in band.Only tolerates natural yogurts ... in short, that I accept all kinds of advice.

Thank you so much

helora's profile photo
helora
01/05/2011 8:15 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

With babies I think it is best to put the quick insulin puncture at the end of meals for things like that, if the puncture is put before and that puncture is calculated for rations of carbohydrates, start eating but does not endCarbohydrates rations the safest thing is that you can suffer hypoglycemia.It can also happen that if everything is eaten but in the end it ends up vomiting or similar ...

Trying to put the fast insulin prick immediately after meals, you will have to calculate how many rations of carbohydrates it has eaten and depending on that calculating the rapid insulin dose.

You will have to calculate more or less how many insulin units need for HC ration, if for example (invented data) in the food it has 5 rations of HC and you are putting 7 units of rapid insulin because it needs 1.4 units/ration of HC (7units / 5 rations of HC).If then it does not eat the 5 rations and ate only 3 portions needs 4.2 units (3 rations x 1.4 units/ration), the matter goes from that.

The problem of this is that the accuracy of syringes, bowling and feathers is usually a unit and you will have to round all units and/or you will have to force it to eat only half cookie more or similar.

There is a thread of parents in the section of the Forum I look for someone from ... and events or meetings. -& GT; parents in which you will find information that can be useful to you.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/05/2011 8:42 a.m.

Welcome to the Helora forum !!!

We hope to help you everything possible.For my part I have no experience with baby, but surely you will find many people who have experience and/or training in this regard.

All the best,

olguilla's profile photo
olguilla
01/05/2011 10:45 a.m.

Welcome Helora

What TNT commented is very important ... always, always put the insulin after eating.

It is basic that you know the diet due to rations for the issue of insulin calculation and food exchange. I see that you control the issue of carbohydrates ...

For many of us, this website: It is a kind of header manual in our diabetes.

As for insulin, long ago I knew parents who diluted insulin;That is, having to put so little dose of insulin (sometimes 1/4 of unit or less) the normal feathers could not be used so they took out the insulin from the pen with a syringe, dilute it with a special liquid suppliedfor the hospital and put it on the young.
I also know that there were hospitals that prepared the doses in feathers already diluted.
Now I don't know how the subject will be ... you could ask the pediatrician on this subject, if your child need very little insulin.
Another option is to use the syringes, although with 2 years and on a honeymoon ... I imagine that it will not help you, for the moment.

In any case, the best option for a child of your age is the insulin bomb ... for this you should prepare very well (diet for portions, insulin control, daily glycemia, ketones ...) but for their diabetes and forYour daily life is your best option.

DiabetesForo
01/05/2011 12:04 p.m.

Thank you very much for the answers ... as soon as I have a little while I explain me telling the guidelines you have given us in the hospital and how our beginning is.At the moment I do not have anyone closer in the same situation and everything has taken us in surprise and without having an idea of ​​almost anything.

By way summary:
- They diagnosed him on December 2, he is two years old and weighs about 13,600 kg.
- We do 6 daily controls and sometimes a 7th in the morning with the Glucometer Xceed, the puncture is at level 3
- Use Humalog and Humulin NPH in road and with 1/2 unit syringes because for now the doses are very small
- It has a diet of 1,100 calories and 13 daily portions.
- We click before breakfast, food and dinner
- For now we do it in the arms and legs, we alternate and occasionally also at the top of the culete.In the tripita for now it is discarded because it does not have "chicha"
- We have been told that it is now on the honeymoon
- On the 11th glycosylated hemoglobin, for which they have told us that you have to go fasting.

helora's profile photo
helora
01/05/2011 4:33 p.m.

Helora, is it only glycosilada?
Ask in your hospital if they have the digital glycosylated hemoglobin machine .... It is a machine that calculates glycosylated with a drop of blood, not with an extraction in vein, as a glucia measurement with the glucometer.
If your hospital is moderately great I am sure they have it, in adults or in pediatrics ...

If not, where will you go to get blood?To the nurse of the Pediatrics Service or to the General Laboratory where everyone goes?
If it is the second option, as soon as you arrived that the child has diabetes and that he cannot wait, he has to have preference.
In any of the cases, if it were only for glycosilada, it is not necessary to go fasting, even if it is for a normal analytics I would say that it is not necessary but better to ask in case it lifted just like glycemia.

As for the syringes, these are the sizes that the BD brand markets:

DiabetesForo
01/06/2011 6:47 a.m.

I have to write down all the questions that I want to ask them and I don't know if hemoglobin g will only do.Or also something else, because the 2nd day of income they already made one and they told us that the month would repeat it, but I do not know if they will take advantage of anything else because they did not mention anything else, and that time it was a normal and current blood extraction, collected in a tube.These tests are done in the hospital's pediatric endocrinology consultation, which makes me think that when it is a hospital, if they have (or should) of the digital machine that you tell me.

The syringes he uses are 0.3 and 1/2 unit.The little ones of all.

helora's profile photo
helora
01/07/2011 5:09 a.m.

Normally at the time of the diagnosis they already do basic analyzes: antibodies (insulin, gad, IA2, Ica) and pancreatic reserves (peptide c)
These same analyzes should be repeated at 3 or 6 months ... Subsequently they are only made if pancreatic reserves are measurable.

To control the evolution, it should be done:
Every 3 months a glycosylated hemoglobin is performed in the hair puncture consultation.
Every year analysis in the laboratory of: basal glycemia, cholesterol, triglycerides, creatinine, glycosylated and urine hemoglobin (microalbumin).

DiabetesForo
01/07/2011 12:15 p.m.

Welcome to the forum: D

Another mom, although with a few years of experience.Angela is 12 years old and debuted with 5.
Going through the thread of parents in this forum and raised your doubts and questions, there are a few moms with small babies that will surely help you.
To what was commented, I would add that for a small child it is best to use an insulin bomb, precisely because of the possibilities of supply of insulin they offer.It is true that in many hospitals the little word still sounds to taboo, but here in this forum there are many large and small users who have it and it is for many the best treatment.
That said, a lot of encouragement and here we are for what you need.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
01/07/2011 5 p.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Hello Helora, my 7 -year -old daughter has diabetes already 3, when they do blood analysis, but if you get low, what I do is give her some juice or sugar until she reaches and then commented on her blood extracted (soThey told us to us), they usually have a device to do glycosylated hemoglobin but not in all places, I know people who every time they have made it have to extract blood..ah, here in Zaragoza in our hospital there is a row for children(There is always less) And when we are going to do the analytics they go preferent to a separate boxIf there were more children they took it in mind ...

lucinere's profile photo
lucinere
01/09/2011 2:44 p.m.

Hello, we have already returned from the hospital, I keep counting in the thread of parents and I present myself again there.

Thanks again

helora's profile photo
helora
01/11/2011 7:58 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.