Newcomer

el_botones's profile photo   01/06/2011 2:14 p.m.

Hello everyone!I have fallen here in my internal search to try to adapt to type II diabetes with which I live.
I am HIV+ for more than 23 years and the antiretrovirals that I use to control the infection united to my genetic heritage have resulted in a type II diabetes.
It has been very years that glucose knives are high.For seasons I have been able to control them with sport, others with diet and lately medicines have been necessary.
I should have been taking these last two years, which I have not done thinking that I could continue controlling the sport and care for the diet.
Glycosylated hemoglobin has been at correct levels until the last analysis that I have done in December in which a considerable shot at 9.2 was appreciated.

My doctor, a doctor who has begun to treat me this year and who has taken more seriously than others, in addition to giving me the tostón (blessed tostón) has prescribed eukreas and daily glucose measurements.

I have let Christmas pass to get to work because it was impossible for me to focus on diabetes on those dates and have been doing measurements with my glucometer and taking the medication.

My doctor however has not prescribed a diet or has given me indications of what, how many times I must eat.That is why I have put myself to investigate the appropriate diet for me, the number of hydrates that I must take, ....
Seeing glucose measurements has made me much more aware of the problem.I started with 299 mg/dl.taken on an empty stomach in the morning and with vertigo levels at two hours of having eaten, this morning 221 on an empty stomach.

The counting of the hydrates is terribly complicated and I would very much appreciate if someone gave me a reliable and understandable source to understand it.

I have been using melatonin to regulate my dream and just in case I could be influenced I have looked for information about it.The most reliable me tells me that it could increase the resistance to insula.I will stop taking it today to check the impact it has on the glucose level.

Well, don't tire anymore, I will continue here learning everything you can have from those who have experience.
A hug!

el_botones's profile photo
el_botones
01/06/2011 2:14 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome to the club

This website: http: //www.clinidiabet.com/es/infodiabetes/educacion/index.htm for me is one of the most complete about diabetes

In the case of people with type 2 diabetes, the diet is usually not used by portions, focused on the calculation of insulin.
However, it is important that the glycemic index of food be known (which raise blood glucose) and how to replace them in food.

In general, a diet of around 1500 kcal/day would cover your needs (but you have a very physical job or do a lot of sport or have obesity).

There is a small simple trick to know what you have to eat (ideally):
- A dish, divide it into 2 halves.1 half is filled with vegetables/vegetables.
From the other half, it is divided into 2 halves.
1 part is filled with meat or fish (giving preference to fish, always)
1 part is filled with carbohydrates (bread, pasta, flours, etc)

If you do it at food and dinner, you have more or less, covered the daily needs.

Here are some example:

Here are very useful visual examples of carbohydrates exchanges (click on videos): <!la-diabetes/information/bases-of-treatment/food "

As for melatonin, since it influences the hormonal system (sleep/vigil cycle) that is why it raises blood glucose levels.Check with your doctor in any case.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/07/2011 3:12 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.