News about the insulin-glucon relationship

DiabetesForo's profile photo   02/10/2011 1:27 p.m.

Hello

This is my first message here, I am the father of a type1 diabetic child and I like to be aware of the scientific advances around diabetes, so I want to expose an article that has left the scientific community frozen, not because it supposes a finding thatIt quickly takes a cure but because radically changes the explanation we have about insulin and glucagon, I directly transcribe it (automatic but very understandable translation) and that each one thinks:

The original article is found here: Link

I have edited the translation so as not to make the post very extensive
Scientedaily (January 27, 2011)Findings of the researchers of the UT Medical Center.
These findings in mice show that insulin becomes completely superfluous and its absence does not cause diabetes or any other anomaly when glucagon actions are suppressed.The glucagon, a hormone produced by the pancreas, prevents low blood sugar levels in healthy people.But it is the cause of blood sugar in people with type 1 diabetes.
"We have all been educated to think of insulin is the great range hormone and that without it life is impossible, but that is not the case," said Dr. Roger Unger, professor of internal medicine and principal author of the study that appears inLine and in the February edition of Diabetes."If diabetes is defined as the restoration of glucose homeostasis to normal, then this treatment can be considered very close to a" cure. "

Insulin treatment has been the gold standard for type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent diabetes) in humans since its discovery in 1922. But even the optimal regulation of type 1 diabetes with insulin alone cannot restore theNormal glucose tolerance.These new discoveries show that glucagon elimination restores glucose tolerance to normality.
Normally, glucagon is released when the level of glucose, or sugar, in the blood is low.In insulin deficiency, however, glucagon levels are excessive, and make the liver release an excessive amount of glucose to the blood torrent.This action opposes insulin, which directs body cells to eliminate the sugar from the bloodstream.
Dr. Unger's laboratory investigation found benefit of glucagon suppression.

In this study, UT scientists have tried how genetically altered mice to glucagon receptors responded to an oral glucose tolerance test.The test - which can be used to diagnose diabetes, gestational diabetes and pre -diabetes - measures the ability of the body to metabolize the glucose of the blood torrent.
The researchers found that mice with normal insulin production, but without operation glucagon receptors normally responded to the test.The mice also normally responded when the beta cells of insulin producers were destroyed.Mice that had no action of insulin or glucagon did not develop diabetes.
"These findings suggest that if there is no glucagon, no matter if you do not have insulin," said Dr. Unger, who is also a doctor in the medical center Va de Dallas."This does not mean that insulin is not important. It is essential for the normal growth and development of the newborn until adulthood. But in adulthood, at least withRegarding the metabolism of glucose, the role of insulin is glucagon control.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/10/2011 1:27 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

2 things:
- I am wrong, but the glucagon stores the liver, does not produce the pancreas

- Insulin is essential because without it glucose cannot be used by different tissues or stored in a glucagon form.

So, in type 1 diabetes you cannot dispense in any case of insulin because the cells that produce them no longer exist ...: Shock:

DiabetesForo
02/10/2011 1:52 p.m.

I do not know ... the news seems equally sensationalist as many others.

When foods are ingested, blood glucose levels rise and not precisely by glucagon but also by food when glying that glucagon would not be the guilty of the rise in blood glucose levels in at least that case.

On the other hand, by much glucagon that there are glucagon receptors (mainly in the liver and the kidneys -& GT; Link ) They have nothing stored or almost nothing glycogen, blood glucose levels do not upload because there is nothing to release that glucagon would not be guilty ofBlood glucose levels in at least another case.

And well ... It seems strange to me that someone I imagine has medical studies does not know how the human body of a healthy person works since in the body of a healthy person insulin occurs (moments in which more, moments, momentsin the least) How do we have to take what the doctor says?What humanity is a race that suffers a disease PQ manufactures insulin when it is a totally superfluous hormone?Without insulin it is impossible to live and in the article it seems that the issue of insulin is frivolizes a bit.

I do not know ... it sounds almost as if an article came out saying that breathing is superfluous and that the solution for asthma is not to breathe, a buried like any other.

DiabetesForo
02/10/2011 2:33 p.m.

Hi, my name is Cristina and I'm a pharmacist.
I have read the entire article of this, assumption, doctor.And I say assumed because today you can't trust what you read on the Internet.

He says that since insulin lowers glucose and glucagon, also released by the pancreas, it increases it, eliminating the glucagon would be in balance.Well, it is not so and I am going to explain why: the function of insulin is not to lower glucose, but the glucose between all cells of the body whether they are muscles, brain, etc.and as a consequence the glucose that circulates through the blood decreases.To be easily understood, insulin is like the "key" that opens the cells so that they can be fed with glucose.

Therefore, what would happen if we remove insulin and glucagon as this man says?: That glucose could not enter the cells and would be very high in the blood.With which we would burn fat and proteins (muscle) of the body to obtain energy forming the ketone bodies that are toxic to the body.

Without insulin you can't live.I hope I have explained well.

Pepita's profile photo
Pepita
04/28/2011 3:47 p.m.

I am not a doctor or even chickens.But as far as I know, that text squeaked a little for several things.I agree with the above opinions.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
04/28/2011 6:02 p.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.