{'en': 'Travel to the US', 'es': 'Viajar a EEUU'} Image

Travel to the US

DiabetesForo's profile photo   03/30/2011 4:57 a.m.

Good morning,

I am an insulinopente diabetics, currently treated with insulin pump.In June I will travel to New York and the truth is a bit lid with the issue of passing by police control at airports.

I have to carry the insulin in the hand luggage, as well as the spare parts of the pump and the insulin pen in case the pump fails.

In Medtronic I have been told that I must carry an English report of the endocrine, but my question is whether I have to declare in the document they give us on the plane that I wear the pump or not.If someone has recently traveled to the US, I would thank you for providing some information.

Thank you so much.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/30/2011 4:57 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Graci!
I went to New York in September, but it was not yet diabetic, in fact the symptoms began there and I debuted around ...
I do not remember that in the document you fill on the plane you will ask about medicines, even if it can be.Anyway, I don't think you must put anything there, because as it seemed to me, it is not intended for personal use things, that is, if it is for your own consumption (how bad it sounds :))) you must not declare it inThat role must be only if you are going to trade with it and things of the style.
I believe that with taking the proof in English with everything you need well specified it will serve you.
Anyway, you can consult the Embassy of Spain in the US or USA in Spain ...

New York is an impressive city, enjoy your trip !!

DiabetesForo
03/30/2011 5:58 a.m.

Your insulin and your "diabetic things" (needles, strips, meter) always with you !!!!Not only because it is a basic and logical measure of safety, but because you avoid possible deterioration of insulin or strips due to possible unfavorable conditions in the luggage load cellar.
And always carry a certificate of your sealed doctor in which you inform your status as a person with diabetes and that you need to transport certain utensils.They have never asked me, but just in case.

For everything else, mastercard!Enjoy the trip :-)

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
03/30/2011 6:06 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Hi Graci,

I recommend that you give a look at these posts:

Link
Link

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
03/30/2011 6:10 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hi Graci:

I was in NY last year in August and already carried insulin bomb.I had no problem at any airport (Alicante-Madrid-name).I carried all the spare material in the hand luggage to prevent high temperatures from degrading it and for possible luggage losses.TB a report (in Spanish, not in English) where I put that I am a diabetic, that I need to carry the material (insulin needles etc .....) with me and that I am an insulin pump carrier and the truth is that I do notThey asked for anything, neither to the first leg, nor around the return ......... everything was easier than I thought.I flew with Iberia and request in advance XA Diabetico in the diet and TB without problems.The only recommendation that they made to me (and that I do not miss) was to not use the word "bomb" at the airport, that is, if they are cache for whatever, warn in advance that you are diabetic and that wearing the little machine... but not call her bomb ..... ha ha, ha :)) But I tell you that it was easier than I thought.
By the way, I was surprised that in NY there is a kind of parapharmacies called Duane Reader where they sell medications (no medical recipe is needed to buy them) and I saw that they had quite a lot of diabetic material ........ strips, devices ..... at least for mine, which is Roche's accu-chek, if they had ... what I didn't look at was the price, but for a hurry .......

virginia's profile photo
virginia
03/30/2011 11:12 a.m.

Hello, I travel to Mexico a month ago and you have to carry everything you need in the handbag, I carry the English document that you say and also the results of the last visit to the endocrine because the nurse told me that whatI would have the updated date, but they didn't ask for anything at all! You just get stuck with the liquids! When there arrived there they checked my handbag and I don't know why good trip!

DiabetesForo
03/30/2011 6:31 p.m.

Hello!I was in Miami and Mexico in October and they didn't ask me for anything, neither in Spain or around.Of course, it never hurts to take a certificate in Spanish and English saying that you are diabetic and that you have to carry a bomb (insulin pump unlike terrorist bomb that is BOMP) and the rest of the things you have to carry.
I am going to NY in 15 days and I will only take the certificate, anyway if you want the turn if they have put any paste.
All insulin and rest of the material always in hand luggage to prevent it from being lost or spoiled.

Marten

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
03/31/2011 8:58 a.m.

Of course I am interested in knowing how it has gone on your trip to NY, so I hope your response.Thank you so much.

DiabetesForo
03/31/2011 3:59 p.m.

Hello!I was in Miami and Mexico in October and they didn't ask me for anything, neither in Spain or around.Of course, it never hurts to take a certificate in Spanish and English saying that you are diabetic and that you have to carry a bomb (insulin pump unlike terrorist bomb that is BOMP) and the rest of the things you have to carry.
I am going to NY in 15 days and I will only take the certificate, anyway if you want the turn if they have put any paste.
All insulin and rest of the material always in hand luggage to prevent it from being lost or spoiled.

Marta

Hi Marta +Have you already returned from NY?How have you gone a paste?
Thank you so much.

DiabetesForo
06/05/2011 5:34 p.m.

hello!Yes I already returned.They did not put any paste, moreover, for other reasons I had to pass antibiotics, Betadine and a couple of needles of those of taking blood (this was with a medical certificate) and they left me without any problem.I was lucky because they registered me in Spain (apparently on the trips to the USA, they make routine complete records and Mó touched me), explained to the Civil Guard because I wore everything and Aleh, inside.In NY nothing at all.

greetings

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
06/06/2011 5:35 p.m.

I recently travel to Halifax Canada and New York and they didn't look at me anything, they know and know the bolis bombs and others, they never asked me for any doctor's certificate and that I travel quite a lot.
Zero concern on that side but if you leave you calmer, we have the certificate, lest you then climb the glycemia of your nerves you already know.

DiabetesForo
07/16/2015 12:36 a.m.

I live in the US and the truth that like @Afterego have never asked me certified from my doctor or anything.Now that I carry a bomb, how they advise them to pass it through the full -body scanner I simply tell the TSA agent that I carry a medical team and I require a manual inspection and hey, without problems.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
07/16/2015 12:42 a.m.

Hello,

Do not forget to carry your medical report with you.Usually endocrine usually have one, but here you have the link to download the report, fill it and sign it and seal the doctor.

Link

And as they have told you, insulin and other accessories of your diabetes such as hand luggage, in the cellar of the plane insulin by the effect of freezing is crystallized and loses its effectiveness.

Enjoy the trip.

Monica_LTD's profile photo
Monica_LTD
07/16/2015 2:12 a.m.

www.latiendadeladiabetes.com
info.latiendadeladiabetes@gmail.com

El Libro Blanco de la Diabetes
La diabetes contada por diabéticos

I don't see the date so I don't know if this is an old or current thread.
I was 4 years ago in NY and at no time did they put any problem with insulin, or with anything.They never asked me for the certificate (although obviously you have to take it) and the only problem I had is that the hotel refuses freezing the insulin that I carried in case, thanks to God I did not spend the bolis that I had in use.
But now another problem arises, to see if you can help me.I'm going to Boston for a week in August and I am filling this, the other time I don't know if you had to fill it, or if you fill the agency, or what, because I do not remember.But they ask this.What if you have any physical or psychic illness?Next to whether you get drugs, or you have gonorrhea ... the point is.I have a disease and I will take all the diabetes fishing with me, so I will not be able to deny it.But I don't know if in that question you just have to say yes, if the three questions are affirmative, or if only one is.It is that you worry me, because those are supposed to be the questions to which you always have to answer, if you want them to let you pass.How do you understand it, and what have you answered?
Thank you so much.

Cdlrios's profile photo
Cdlrios
07/17/2017 1:15 p.m.

I have already solved it, in the embassy I have responded super fast.Now the question is not even written in this one, but he talks about mental or contagious illnesses.

And they have also told me that it is allowed to carry lancets and devices for insulin and that it is advisable to keep a medical report and all the medication in original containers and has sent me to this page. Link

In case you are worth it.

Cdlrios's profile photo
Cdlrios
07/17/2017 4:36 p.m.

I don't know, but I don't think there is any problem for not declaring it.Current controllers are more than informed on these issues.There are many dibetics and a pen or insulin pump is perfectly recognized.

JVH's profile photo
JVH
07/23/2017 11:38 a.m.

On this page of Aena they report, something, about legal requirements for greater security and especially tranquility:
Link

uma's profile photo
uma
09/11/2017 3 p.m.

DM1 desde 1967-
Tresiba 12 - Novorapid: 4-6-2 última Hemo: 5,9
FreeStyle Libre 2 desde noviembre 2020

"Nunca dejes que el futuro te perturbe. Lo enfrentarás, con las mismas armas de la razón con las que hoy enfrentas el presente." Marco Aurelio.
"Un gramo de práctica vale más que una tonelada de teoría" Swami Vishnudevananda

Good point @uma, I copy here what Aena's page says today.

medications

The regulations in force allows traveling from any European Union airport with solid medicines if they are accompanied with their recipe or the corresponding medical prescription.In this case, it is advisable to take them in hand luggage.

Liquid medications are exempt from restrictions that affect the transport of fluids in hand luggage, provided that their use is necessary during the trip (first flight flight to return).

You must, for this, present the medication separately in the safety control, outside the transparent bag that is required for the other liquids.

In the control you can ask for tests of authenticity.It is also recommended that, as far as possible, you take with you the medical recipe or justification of your particular condition.

If you need to transport other medical utensils (diabetic syringes, meters, etc.), you must previously notify your airline, which will inform you of the procedure to follow.If the medical material could be classified as a prohibited article in hand luggage (for example, needles) will allow access as long as you conveniently accredit the need for its use in safety control.

If you are going to travel to a country outside the European Union, we recommend that you consult the conditions of drug entry with your airline.

fer's profile photo
fer
07/17/2018 1:53 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello everyone, in a few weeks I am going to the US, I have already obtained the report of my endocrine, in Spanish and in English, but when I get home I have seen that it has only signed it has not put the seal, it is necessary theMedical seal or just with the firm is worth?

Teknon's profile photo
Teknon
07/17/2018 5:31 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.