{'en': 'An excess of insulin Lantus, fattens?', 'es': 'Un exceso de Insulina Lantus, ¿engorda?'} Image

An excess of insulin Lantus, fattens?

chicho415's profile photo   04/07/2011 5:52 p.m.

Hello everyone,

I am diabetic type I 8 years, and I started taking 24 Lantus units for about 7 years.

Then I had to increase the dose to 30 units and I was like this during the last year.

3 months ago I started a diet to lose weight and I have lowered the dose of Lantus to 16 units.

I have lost approximately 8 kilos and my question is the following, is it possible that an excess of lantus fattening ???

I would appreciate answers to people who have experienced a similar experience.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

chicho415's profile photo
chicho415
04/07/2011 5:52 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Insulin does not get fat, you get fat if you eat more than you spend.You say you started a diet, if you eat less lose weight, if you eat less need less insulin.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/07/2011 6:56 p.m.

Now you get less insulin because, simply, you eat less when you are diet.But it is true that insulin, as an anabolic hormone that is, is related to possible weight gain.because among other things, it favors glycogen metabolism and lipids and accelerates certain protein and genetic processes.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
04/08/2011 6:27 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Helloaaaaaa,
I have been told that the Lantus fattens, but very little, instead I have not noticed anything now
Greetingsssss

anabeg's profile photo
anabeg
04/08/2011 6:41 a.m.

Could it be that what fattens is excess insulin?
That is, if we put ourselves adequate insulin to our body and the amount we normally eat, the logical thing is that we do not get fat.
But if we pass with insulin, we will have to eat something else to avoid hypoglycemia or to trace it, it may be what the latter is fat.Don't you think?

DiabetesForo
04/08/2011 7:53 a.m.

It is what I believe Neihs, fattens the excess food, if we pass in insulin we have to eat more to overcome the hypo and we also get fat but because we ingest more calories than we then consume.But if we adjust the food and insulin well we do not have to gain weight, what happens is that it is not always easy to succeed in the fair dose ....: |
It is my opinion.

DiabetesForo
04/08/2011 11:20 a.m.

Before carrying the bomb, Lantus was carrying, the endo told me that some kg would lose weight.
There are medications that do help gain weight because altering metabolism, I have been taking a high dose of antihistaminics for 3 years, and Cogi 5 kg, now from Christmas I do not take and lose 4kg without varying the diet.

tica's profile photo
tica
04/08/2011 12:24 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

It is usually said that the use of medium -term Lantus increases body weight around 800 g/year ...

This is a half -truth, insulin as anabolic hormone favors weight gain, in fact it is one of the main problems involved in insulinization in DM2.However, in the end, what is considered important is to make more caloric expense than caloric intake.
Come on, the opposite of the current account: Mrgreen:
That is, if they insulinate us but we do not maintain a minimum level of physical exercise we will gain safe weight, not only because of insulin only but because we have more calories than we spend.

Excess insulin can gain weight if daily hypoglycemia leads that force to repeatedly eating food to trace ... and we all know how complicated it is not to empty the fridge in those moments of hiccups.

DiabetesForo
04/09/2011 3:23 p.m.

I have been losing weight, well in fact now it seems that I am keeping myself, no matter howTica, and what told you, what would you lose a few kilos for the lantus?It is that equal to me that happens to me, that for the lantus I have been lowering weight, it is that I understand less and less, hahahaha, then I read that the lantus fattens, this is a mess, is that I tell it, it will not be that theLantus thinns me?And I had it very clear, like not, here every endo says one thing, hahahaha
Greetingsssssssssss

anabeg's profile photo
anabeg
04/10/2011 4:09 p.m.

Hello good!I have had the same problem, but more than because of the dose, which as they say, it is relative to how much it eats, it is because of the fact that, unable to the regular body when it segregates insulin and when it cuts and secretes catabolizing hormones, it favors itself, it is favoredAn anabolic atmosphere, that is, the body spends more time keeping than spending.What is clear is that, before a lower dose, a lower weight gain.This can be achieved by eating less quantity, different foods or doing more activity in the face of the same diet.I believe that the combination of the three is the key.Animos!

FernandoGR's profile photo
FernandoGR
02/01/2017 1:09 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.