My boyfriend has diabetes

DiabetesForo's profile photo   05/11/2011 6:12 a.m.

Hello everyone,

I am new in the forum, my name is Beatriz.

My boyfriend has diabetes since the age of 14.We have been together for 5 years.
I wanted to tell my personal experience and vent a little, be heard by people who understand this disease.

Before meeting my boyfriend, I didn't know any diabetic person closely.Upon knowing him I realized what he involves living every day with this disease.It is a daily struggle to achieve total glycemic control.It is a daily job.

The truth is that at first I got quite nervous about the great responsibility of living with him.When we started living together, I had downtown every night, quite strong, it also happened at home, it was very thin.Little by little I began to read on the subject and try to improve its blood glucose, meals, schedules, measure more often, change the insulin that I used to use mixed and now uses Lantus and Apidra and goes better.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed, I am a very perfectionist person, very worried about others and see it that consumes me, because now I am totally aware of everything, of the complications for the increases and effects of glucose low.I know that when he is nervous he goes up, that when he is hot he goes down, that sometimes without apparent explanation he raises him, if he has a fever also goes up, that at night he sometimes has rebounds .. everything is very complicated.

In addition my boyfriend is very stubborn (I do not know if it is the effect of glycemia), he ignores what I tell him and many times I have to get angry and shout him to do what I tell him, so that hydrates are takenextras, or to put some insulin units.I try to advise and guide him to control well and do not follow my advice.He works from Monday to Friday in an office, early early.The weekend in the morning he passes it on the couch and the same thing always happens to him, which arrives at 13h with a lot of downturn, and always for the same, for not eating in the middle of the morning;And that I tell you, but ignores me.Sometimes I came to think that he is a bit anorexic, my boyfriend does not want to exercise or move, or eat, so that the glucose does not rise or lower him.He is conditioning his life to diabetes, instead of taking the bull by the horns, controlling diabetes and living life as he has to do it, enjoyment doing many things.

I despair.And I don't know what to do anymore, because it is affecting our relationship.I do not know if it is for diabetes or because it is its character like that, but it only gives me sadness and loneliness.And I am very bad lately, I have health problems too, but I fight and I am excited to live every day despite being bad many times.And I don't understand how he behaves like this.It has no spirits to do anything.

Can you give me any advice or help me understand what happens to you?

Thank you very much, greetings and encouragement to everyone.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/11/2011 6:12 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.