Doubt about Lantus

Chikitina36's profile photo   05/23/2011 9:31 p.m.

Hi how are things?
Well I tell you a little, I have a year and a half.My treatment is Lantus 20 units at 10 pm.And Apidra (6-6-6) varying the rapid according to pre and according to food.Do not calculate the rations of hydrates, it seems to me an impossible mission, I mean that I do it by eye, for the test-error method.Before the units of fast varied because I was a little fear, now I do.The endocrine sees me every 4 months but I have not really seen myself still well controlled at any time at my glucose levels.On the last visit he told me to go up the Lantus myself because he spent a lot of time from one visit to another.His guideline was that if for 2 days he rose myself above 110 glucose increased 2 units the lantus, when I went to his consultation I used 16 units of Lantus.As you will, I have already uploaded two units 2 times, first to 18 and now I am in 20.
The problem is that when I go up to 18 units I am more or less a better controlled week, but after that week I get up up high, now I went up to 20 units and the same thing happened to me, I have been a little better the first week butFrom there again shot in the morning, values ​​of 180-190 when I woke up.
My question is once the body is done to a amount of Lantus for example 18 and it passes a few days so it can be that "gets used to it" and therefore demand more?I'm still like this, increasing it?until what amount, because the problem is that I only shoot in the pre in the morning, then to food and dinner I arrive well, so when the lantus increases, I have hypoglycemia in other hours of the day.
I have to add that relatively little dinner, for example compared to food and put the same units of fast, and try not to put much carbohydrate at dinner so as not to be high in the morning.
It is a bit desperate doing evidence and changes and trying and continuing to see values ​​in the glymeter so high especially when starting the day, which one begins with bad news.There has been some morning that I have gotten up with almost 300 and the next day not.
Thank you all because you read me a lot.

Chikitina36's profile photo
Chikitina36
05/23/2011 9:31 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome chikitina !!
The variations of the Lantus are normal, until a month ago I also used it and also happened to me.
Now you are increasing the doses, because your body for whatever needs it, but the time will come when you have to lower the dose.The trick is to climb it when you get up high in the morning, and lower it when you get up low (less than 80) or when you have nocturnal hypoglycemia.
Unfortunately, the Lantus units you need will not always be the same, if they wouldn't make us too easy :))
Anyway, also controls what you have in the nights and the value two hours later or before bedtime, if you go to bed high, you will probably get up.And if dinner has been a lot, even though you go to bed with a good value, it is likely to go up at night because you have not finished digestion.

And to control your glycemia more, I recommend that you try to tell rations, at first it looks like a world, but then it is not so complicated and it will give you much more freedom.

Another thing is that if you see that you need a high level of Lantus at night, which during the day produces hypoglycemia, the solution passes from eating some ration between hours to compensate, or the insulin pump ...

Much encouragement !!

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/24/2011 3:38 a.m.

Hello chikitina:
Do you measure yourself one day at night?about 3 or 4 in the morning?You may have a hypoglycemia at night and you get up high due to the rebound and that is not solved by climbing Lantus if not going down.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/24/2011 4:25 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.