A good breakfast reduces the risk of obesity and diabetes

fer's profile photo   04/18/2008 11:20 a.m.

The next time you start the day with an empty stomach, think about this: a recent study suggests that people who have breakfast every day have less risk of obesity and diabetes.

Compared to those who have breakfast only once or twiceA. Pereira, main researcher of this study.

Insulin resistance is a loss of insulin sensitivity, the key hormone of blood sugar regulation.Often, this loss of sensitivity is the precursor of a diabetes."Breakfast seems to reduce the risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseaseand assistant professor at Harvard's Faculty in Boston, USA.

2,681 young adults were included in the study, from 25 to 37 years of age, which were followed for eight years, in which there were a variety of health parameters, including insulin resistance and obesity."In addition to the frequency of breakfast, the quality of breakfast also seems important," Dr. Pereira showed, "thus, for example the whole grains were associated with a risk reduction, while refined cereals do not."

Only cereals that have at least 2 grams of fiber per ration are considered comprehensive, as recommended by the American Heart Association.This study was financed by a scholarship by Charles H. Hood Foundation and another of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute of the US National Institute of the US."This study," concludes Dr. Pereira, "contributes to the knowledge of the role of food patterns and the risk of obesity and related diseases, since there are very few longitudinal studies on the frequency of breakfast, their quality and their role onhealth ".

Source: American Heart Association

fer's profile photo
fer
04/18/2008 11:20 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Yes, I've always heard it, to live well you have to have breakfast well.I will tell you a family anecdote.Both my mother and her two brothers are already deceased.It turns out that the one who died with the oldest was my uncle Pepe, the only one who smoked and drank with ... well, let's say that with more than regularity.One day he told me his secret, it turns out that he made the mili with a doctor who advised (40s) always breakfast a mixture of cereals, beer yeast, and I don't know more things, all mixed with yogurt.He began to do it and assured me that in 50 years I had not stopped doing a single day.It seems that it worked ... did not leave its "regularity" in each of its customs until the end.

Juan Luis's profile photo
Juan Luis
04/18/2008 11:35 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.