Sensitivity Index Calculation

luciana's profile photo   05/28/2011 6:53 a.m.

I recently have the Medtronic pump and I have about 4 basal sections, for each basal section the sensitivity index is different, I believed that the sensitivity index is calculated by adding the total insulin of the day and dividing 1800/ total dose daily, butFor each section I do not know how to calculate it, now the endocrine has given me but I would like to know how it is done, it is sure to be simple but now I am not able to find it. As you calculate it, do you praise the basal corner?

Lucia 8 years Pump Medtronic since May 20

luciana's profile photo
luciana
05/28/2011 6:53 a.m.

Lucia, 12 años en tratamiento con bomba de insulina desde los 7

Luciana:

There is a book called "Pumping insulin" that tells what you want to know in detail:

It is very cheap

All the best

Gema3's profile photo
Gema3
05/30/2011 4:15 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thank you very much, I'm going to get closer today to see if I find him in Libraries, I have taken a look at the link and looks good.I see that your little one is the same age as mine, how does the pump carry in the pool?Do you remove it only when it bathes or disconnects it for a long time?They have told me that bubbles are formed with heat is it true?Well too many questions ...: Oops: it's all so new ... Thank you

luciana's profile photo
luciana
05/31/2011 2:55 a.m.

Hi Luciana .... It is true, the general sensitivity factor is as you say, but as you indicate, if you carry several sections with different basal, it is logical to think that sensitivity is also different in each section ....

The calculation would be as follows:
We imagine that the daily bolus average is 15.
If in a 4 -hour stretch (imagine from 00h. At 04 h. Tines 0.50 UDS.por time, what you should do is the following.

(0.50x24)+Total Bolus Diario = 12+15 = 27

Fs = 1700*/ 27 = 62;In that section in F.S.It is 62, 9 and so with each section.

* 1700 currently for children (before 1800)

Greetings.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/31/2011 7:29 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Velia, then you do as if the 4h section for example outside 24, now if I fit, ok thank you very much,: D The truth is that for now we are very happy with the bomb and that we only have 10 days, but we carry aMonton of less punctures, more controlled the levels and lucia much more relaxed, I have once read in some post ...)

luciana's profile photo
luciana
05/31/2011 10:08 a.m.

Luciana:

Regarding the book is not sold in Spain, you can buy it online at:

Link ... 322f97a65d

Also in Amazon:
Link ... = 8-1-spell >

The price is around $ 17 + shipping costs.Really cheap, I bought it in the first link and took the opportunity to buy more things.They send it to you very fast.

I anticipate that the technique to calculate the basal sections, as well as the sensitivity factors is a bit different from how Velia indicates, are very simple and more precision methods.The basal is well scheduled when blood glucose does not vary more than 30mg/ml in 4 hours.
Factor 1700-1800 is used as the first approach, it is taken as a medium value of a statistical study (B. Bode), so it can vary up to 2200.

You ask me if the pump is removed in the pool, I have to tell you that the pump is submersible and it is not necessary to remove it, is it that the other pumps are not?

All the best

Gema3's profile photo
Gema3
06/02/2011 4:39 p.m.

Gemma, because if it is more precise and simple, could you put the formula?

Velia's profile photo
Velia
06/03/2011 4:13 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Gema, could you tell me if the book is in Spanish?I am precisely in search of such a book but I do not clarify whether the Spanish edition exists.

Thank you so much.

JSS's profile photo
JSS
06/03/2011 1 p.m.

Hello:

JSS I'm sorry but the book is not in Spanish.

Velia, to estimate the basal rate, a formula is not proposed if not a procedure.
It consists of registering several glycemia in a 4-8 hours interval, the data is taken to a graph (it comes in the book) to observe the evolution, with the result you enter a table and provide you with the new basal rate.

All the best

Gema3's profile photo
Gema3
06/03/2011 5:36 p.m.

Well I just asked for that book and that of Think Like to Pancreas for € 33 shipping costs included.It is not bad for 2 books that come from the other side of the puddle ...

I will comment how they are!

Pinx0's profile photo
Pinx0
06/03/2011 9:41 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.